Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:59 AM   #15

Amazing Where These Threads Go

Always surprised by where some folks go with these threads. Too old to be insulted especially when someone has no idea of your background. Time to move on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, it is. You made a statement and I asked for verification - that is not an insult. Deflecting would be an indication that you cannot.

I'm still open to some kind of evidence that the steering gear stays powered up with the key off. When the discussion originally took place back a year or so ago, my suggestion was to determine the fuse or circuit for it and disable that - in lieu of disconnecting everything. To my knowledge that was never explored, nor did I dig in to it either. I just went with the battery disconnect. It has also been shown the steering does not lock unless or until the key is removed.

Lots of people make lots of claims on these boards with nothing more to back it up than a feeling, or simply repeating something they read elsewhere on the internet. I'm not saying you've done that, and nothing was meant as an insult.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #17

question
I have not towed yet but this auto person put the disconnect on the positive side because was so hard to get to the negative side. He said what difference does it make due to either side being disconnected is same. I am I the idot? or is this true?
also do you know does the mileage accumulate? or is there a fuse that can be pulled. I had a terrain and just had to pull fuse was ready

Thank you Evelyn
Old 08-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #18

Hi Evelyn, my installer put the switch on the negative cable. Very convenient for me to rotate the knob to disconnect the negative cable. No it won't accumulate mileage. No fuse pulling, I did that on my Saturn so I understand that practice. This is actually easier.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:36 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev briden View Post
question
I have not towed yet but this auto person put the disconnect on the positive side because was so hard to get to the negative side. He said what difference does it make due to either side being disconnected is same. I am I the idot? or is this true?
also do you know does the mileage accumulate? or is there a fuse that can be pulled. I had a terrain and just had to pull fuse was ready

Thank you Evelyn
RedColorado likely has the most miles on one of these and his disco's the plus side with a smart switch. You'll be fine.

The odo is electronic...no power = no mileage. Since your power is cut - no fuses to mess with either.

Our first big trip starts tomorrow.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #20

thank you for this information. Have you had any issues after disconnecting the battery starting or running issues due to all the computers? I heard people say that sometimes might be issue with ruff idle and computers won't reset or won't start at all after towing. I know you have to reset radio NO BIG DEAL. also do you have a two brake if so what kind.
Thank you again
Evelyn Briden
Old 08-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #21

No issues other than the DIC telling me to lower and raise driver window. No resetting radio or clock. I have the SMI stay n play system on mine.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:06 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
No issues other than the DIC telling me to lower and raise driver window. No resetting radio or clock. I have the SMI stay n play system on mine.
Same here. First leg was about 400mi over 2 days. No problems with TC, but AT definitely had to relearn. After a few miles it was back to normal.

I definitely feel it pulling the back of the coach back and forth so I have to constantly steer - it wants to wander all over the road.

A previous toad did this when it had wide custom wheels, but went away on the stock tires. So I put 50psi in the front tires and it towed much better. Just aired back down once unhooked. I carry a portable Dewalt air compressor anyway, so I will be airing it up to tow. The good years are rated for 51psi anyway. Regular spec for driving is 35psi.

The weight is no problem, still getting good mileage in th flatlands. It goes 40-45 up the grades passing semis.

Brake buddy worked fine, but was out of position when we stopped for the day. That was disappointing.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:04 AM   #23

Chris, I installed the Blue Ox hitch immobilizer and have not noticed any sway problems with my truck. I had the same sway issue with my Saturn and the drop hitch. Of course no need for a drop hitch with the truck. BTW, we are on the W24 chassis but we stay fairly light, usually around 23,000 lbs. I don't know if these are factors or not. Glad all is working out for you.
Tom
Old 08-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It could my old round tube Blue Ox tow bar, it's kind of loose. I'm going to look in that direction.

We drove just the truck another couple hundred miles on a side trip yesterday and I'm always amazed how nice it is to drive. Just fantastic.

Btw, my TC shifts in and out of N with motor running. No problems at all with that, very easy. I wonder if the TC problems are just on the Canyons?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay, back from 700 miles with the Colorado in tow. In a word - tiring.

Before we left on the return leg I tighted up all of the bolts in the hinge-points on the tow bar. It's the old Aventa round-tube bar. It's rated for 10K lbs so it's nice and stout, but I bought it used and it looks like it has some miles on it.

It tightened up quite a lot and I also moved it into the receiver to the next pin hole which reduced the side to side play as well, but it's still a bit loose there. Is there a fix for this? I think this allows some side to side whipping while under tow.

I also pumped up the tires on the truck to 52 front and 42 rear. Tows very easily this way, we got about 8mpg towing which is as good as any towing of anything we've done. Up and down steep grades was no issue at all - we went over the famous GrapeVine pass north of LA.

The back and forth wandering was reduced by at least half, but there was still some there. Less so on straights, at least I wasn't steering so much, but I could still feel it push in corners. I'm not sure that isn't just the additional weight - our previous toads were almost a thousand pounds less.

Anyway, it works well enough I'm ready to do an 800-miler in October to Utah, and throw the dualsport bike in the pickup as well. Would be nice to tighten up that hitch some more, that may be all it takes to eliminate the back-and-forth swaying.

I also have the ultra-trac rear bar on the coach, so I don't think it's chassis setup, although something similar on the front could possibly help.

Open to suggestions. Other than a new DP.

Under the oak trees at Laguna Seca, near Monterey and Salinas on the central coast of CA.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found these today at hitchrider.com, ordered one out. It's a tool to lock the tow-bar receiver-insert into the receiver. This will stop the toad from whipping back and forth as I think that may be a lot of the issue. I'm hoping this will help - will post back after I get it and try it out.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #27

Chris,

I've had good luck using one of these https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Carg...ch+immobilizer , but have not found it necessary when towing the Colorado. I'm surprised by the side to side sway you're experiencing and wonder if it's attributable to wear on your tow bar. I would not describe towing the Colorado as in any way "tiring". I don't change tire pressure (leave them at 38 PSI cold) or utilize the hitch tightener. When accelerating I can tell there's some extra weight back there, but that's it. Once up to cruising sped I don't notice the toad at all and truly, absent seeing it on the rear camera, would never know it's back there. You might consider sending your tow bar to Blue Ox to have them check out/tune up.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Chris,

I've had good luck using one of these https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Carg...ch+immobilizer , but have not found it necessary when towing the Colorado. I'm surprised by the side to side sway you're experiencing and wonder if it's attributable to wear on your tow bar. I would not describe towing the Colorado as in any way "tiring". I don't change tire pressure (leave them at 38 PSI cold) or utilize the hitch tightener. When accelerating I can tell there's some extra weight back there, but that's it. Once up to cruising sped I don't notice the toad at all and truly, absent seeing it on the rear camera, would never know it's back there. You might consider sending your tow bar to Blue Ox to have them check out/tune up.
Yeah, I'm guessing it's the towbar. Since there's at least a half-inch play at the front of the bar from a loose fit at the receiver insert. My guess is that equals about twice that at the toad, and two or three inches at the back of the toad. I'm also guessing eliminating that play will make a huge difference. Same thing as your immobilizer gadget - BTW I had found those too, and the ones from BlueOx. Evidently this is a common problem for all kinds of towing. I've never had a problem with trailers, but this truck seems to be a different animal.

Just tightening up all the bolts on the tow bar improved it substantially, there was very little play left when I got done and everything still rotated easily. Pic of the old Aventa below - it's kind of a behemoth thing!

Will keep y'all posted.

BTW, I found another post from a few years ago from a fellow that had the same problem, DP pulling a full-size silverado with a drop hitch. Once he tightened up the two receivers the sway went away. I was gonna post but it was like 3 years ago so I skipped it. They were talking about all kinds of fixes, chassis mods, alignment, and on and on.

That hitch-rider thingy will be here in a couple of days.