Originally Posted by CJBROWN
I found these today at hitchrider.com, ordered one out. It's a tool to lock the tow-bar receiver-insert into the receiver. This will stop the toad from whipping back and forth as I think that may be a lot of the issue. I'm hoping this will help - will post back after I get it and try it out.
Okay, thought I would update this thread as well, just got back from another thousand miler with the truck in tow.
The clamp thingy above worked out REALLY well. But I still had some wandering going on. As I had mentioned previously, I had tried pumping up the tires on the toad to about 45lbs to reduce rolling resistance and also thought it would cause less grip for pulling the back of the coach back and forth.
We unhooked after the first leg on an overnighter and I had aired the tires back down to the 35psi spec for some driving around and when we hooked back up to tow I thought I would leave them and see how it changed the towing. Low and behold we were now like on rails. All sway and wander was completely gone. Happy Camper!
On the return leg though it was really windy for about 250 miles. The wind would push everything out of alignment - truck and coach - so I had to continually steer it back into the lane. Quite fatiguing. Driving in the wind is a chore anyway, made worse with the toad. Oh well, as soon as the wind quit we were back to easy driving.
Oh, and mileage into the wind was horrible too - likely about 6mpg. The leg going over was over 8, so a 40mph headwind makes a huge difference.