Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #29

You may wish to consider disconnecting the positive side battery cable as well. An issue has been discovered with the '15 and later models with the newer electronics package. What is happening is a user disconnects the negative battery cable. Unfortunately, what happens is the electrical connection between the motorhome, the tow bar and the braking system provide a ground through the motorhome while connected. Most people don't notice that the vehicle electronics are partially powered up. This is easily reproducible, connect the motorhome and toad including disconnecting the negative battery cable at night. Open the door to the vehicle and you will see a faint glow from the DIC and or NAV system. Another method is to use a multi-meter turn the ignition on accessory and check the voltage at the cigarette lighter adapter. Note: if any power is present then the computer is getting power somehow. Fortunately, this problem is easily solved. Simply disconnect the positive battery cable from the battery isolating the vehicle from any source of power. The reason GM is having customers disconnect the negative cable is to prevent the customer from accidentally shorting out the battery.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #30

That makes a lot of sense. With the toad hooked up to the MH and the battery cables connected you have 2 batteries in parallel. Disconnect the toad negative cable and you still have 1 battery connected to both vehicles. Glad I disconnect the positive.
Great Catch, thanks.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah, I'd be curious to check this out. Next time the truck is hooked up I'll put a multimeter on it and see what I find. Frankly I think it would horrible if there was still vehicle battery current running through it via the hitch. I have my doubts, but I suppose it's possible.

I also worried about the screw-type disconnect terminal, that it might unscrew itself out and get lost, or screw itself in and reconnect. After the first 700 mile trip it doesn't appear to be an issue.

On the first leg my brakebuddy also got jostled out of position and that concerned me. But I readjusted the bar that hits the seat and moved the seat up tighter and didn't have a problem with it after that. Seemed to work just fine - I have it setup for hard braking only - don't need it for general driving.

I also got the hitch-vice tool and installed that and now all the play I had in the tow-bar is gone. Have not tried it over the road yet.

Latest project has been removing the tube tv's and put led flatscreens in. Way cool. Next is a solar array for off-grid charging.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #32

Disconnecting the negative cable may not be an issue unless you have a charge wire from the MH to the toad battery as I do. In that case some toad systems could be powered by the MH battery. Since I disconnect the positive cable with the Battery Brain this is a non issue for me. But interesting.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Disconnecting the negative cable may not be an issue unless you have a charge wire from the MH to the toad battery as I do. In that case some toad systems could be powered by the MH battery. Since I disconnect the positive cable with the Battery Brain this is a non issue for me. But interesting.
I can see how a power lead from the coach could connect a circuit through the hitch that way. Interesting.

My BB doesn't run enough to worry about battery drain, it's lucky if it runs at all on a towing segment. In traffic then maybe a few times, but it's a pretty low draw so my estimation is it could run for some 10 hours straight before it ran the battery down.

We're going to Zion next month so we'll have a good test out again towing it. Looking forward to it.

I've decided I'm only good for about 250 miles a day or so driving, so would rather do the stint with a stop over each way. It's a much more relaxed pace that way.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
I found these today at hitchrider.com, ordered one out. It's a tool to lock the tow-bar receiver-insert into the receiver. This will stop the toad from whipping back and forth as I think that may be a lot of the issue. I'm hoping this will help - will post back after I get it and try it out.

Okay, thought I would update this thread as well, just got back from another thousand miler with the truck in tow.

The clamp thingy above worked out REALLY well. But I still had some wandering going on. As I had mentioned previously, I had tried pumping up the tires on the toad to about 45lbs to reduce rolling resistance and also thought it would cause less grip for pulling the back of the coach back and forth.

We unhooked after the first leg on an overnighter and I had aired the tires back down to the 35psi spec for some driving around and when we hooked back up to tow I thought I would leave them and see how it changed the towing. Low and behold we were now like on rails. All sway and wander was completely gone. Happy Camper!

On the return leg though it was really windy for about 250 miles. The wind would push everything out of alignment - truck and coach - so I had to continually steer it back into the lane. Quite fatiguing. Driving in the wind is a chore anyway, made worse with the toad. Oh well, as soon as the wind quit we were back to easy driving.

Oh, and mileage into the wind was horrible too - likely about 6mpg. The leg going over was over 8, so a 40mph headwind makes a huge difference.