Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

2016 GMC Canyon

I have searched on this but cannot find info excuse me if i missed it> I was wondering if anyone was flat towing one if so how do you deal with unhooking battery switch pull fuse ?? any advice thanks

greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Talking 2016 Colorado

GM is telling you to disconnect the battery for it will not drain while being towed. On short hauls just make sure all the accessories are off. On long hauls when you stop for the night disconnect the toad, go out to eat and have you wife pay for dinner.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

I have a 2015 Canyon and had a battery cut off switch installed. Now when I am ready to depart, the last thing I do is open the hood and rotate the switch to off. I have a charge line installed from the coach to keep battery charged while towing.

After I arrive, I disconnect tow bar, open hood and rotate the switch and follow the procedures in owners manual to restart the truck.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #4

I have a 2015 Colorado as a toad and use a Battery Brain as a disconnect. I press a button on the Battery Brain key fob and the Battery Brain disconnects the battery. Before I installed the Battery Brain I towed the Colorado for 6 hours 320 miles without disconnecting the battery. When I tried to start the Colorado I found the Battery minder had activated and the truck would not start, it activates (I think) at 11.8 volts. It is supposed to leave enough power to start the truck, in my case it did not. I do have a charge line to the toad battery. After installing the Battery Brain no more issues.
There is a long thread about issues with the Colorado/Canyon trucks under Toads and MH towing. It starts about November 2015.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Was looking at canyons today. Pulling Honda Fit now. Was is the curb weight of one of these. My Rv is gas with Ford V10. 33 ft class A. Will I have issues ?? Thanks for the info in advance
Old 07-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #6

Mine is about 4400 pounds. I have no issues flat towing mine but have not attempted any mountain driving. I have the 8.1 with Allison transmission on 24,000 lb Workhorse chassis.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #7

Actual weight of my 2015 Colorado with bed cap full of fuel is 4910. I think the Canyon may be a little heavier.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #8

Battery Disconnect

Greg,
I am in the process of setting up my 2016 Colorado, Crew Cab long bed, 4wd as a toad. I am moving from a Honda CRV that has put in its time.
The reason you MUST disconnect the battery is to protect the electric power steering system. Failure to disconnect battery will eventually lead to damage on steering system. I strongly suggest reviewing the many pages on the Colorado Toad thread and you may want to print the helpful hints on taking in/out of 4wd. They are a little quirky at times.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I have a 2015 Canyon and had a battery cut off switch installed. Now when I am ready to depart, the last thing I do is open the hood and rotate the switch to off. I have a charge line installed from the coach to keep battery charged while towing.

After I arrive, I disconnect tow bar, open hood and rotate the switch and follow the procedures in owners manual to restart the truck.
Okay, if you have a charge line connected to the toad then why do you disconnect the battery? The charge line isn't charging the battery then.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Okay, if you have a charge line connected to the toad then why do you disconnect the battery? The charge line isn't charging the battery then.
The charge line does charge the battery if it bypasses the battery disconnect switch as mine does. In my setup the disconnect switch isolates the truck from its battery. It does not isolate the truck battery from the MH or the aux breaking system in the truck. This ensures a fully charged battery in the event of a brakeaway. Also the aux breaking system in my Colorado runs off the truck battery.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #11

This is what I use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	134404  
Old 08-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLoon View Post
>snip.
The reason you MUST disconnect the battery is to protect the electric power steering system. Failure to disconnect battery will eventually lead to damage on steering system.
>snip.
I have not been able to find anywhere that this has been confirmed. What proof do you have that the electric powersteering stays powered up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl
If your coach power is connected directly to the battery why wouldn't it maintain the charge level?

I used the same battery disconnect as RodneyKrantz - wired brakebuddy directly to the battery. Everything works just fine.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #13

Electric Power Steering

CJ, Below was snipped from the long thread on Colorado. Did not feel like going through the many pages for the confirmation but I know I spent a lot of money on this truck and would prefer to follow the owner's manual and not risk damage. I spent a good part of my career writing technical manuals and believe that the engineers that write them typically have a reason for what they say.

Can't get the snip to show,
Old 08-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLoon View Post
CJ, Below was snipped from the long thread on Colorado. Did not feel like going through the many pages for the confirmation but I know I spent a lot of money on this truck and would prefer to follow the owner's manual and not risk damage. I spent a good part of my career writing technical manuals and believe that the engineers that write them typically have a reason for what they say.
You pasted a ton of html code - not an image. I write a lot of code.
I've spent most of my life writing technical manuals, legal docs, and business correspondence.
In my experience the beloved manual-writers you worship write for the average dumb consumer.

And your response didn't answer my question. I've read all those threads too and no where can I find any confirmation by any gm engineer or person of authority that said the power steering system stays powered up with the key off.

I'm fine with saying that's whats in the manual, and that's what I'm doing as well, but I was also looking for something to back up the claim. To my knowledge that has not been done. Or maybe I just missed that part. <shrug>

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote