Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
2016 Honda Pilot or 2016 Honda Odyssey / 6 speed?

Does anyone flat-tow a new Honda Pilot with 6 speed transmission?

My brother seems determined to do this even though he knows this is not recommended. Knowing that Honda may just be trying to avoid potential warranty issues (as they did in 2005 with Honda Odyssey), I'm wondering if a brave owner out there has gone so far as to flat-tow a modern Odyssey or Pilot.

If you have any experience (good or bad), please let me know.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

Try the Remco website. remcoindustries.com/towing/store.php
they will either tell you absolutely no or indicate if they have customers who do tow albeit with no warranty from them or Honda.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper 05MA View Post
Try the Remco website. remcoindustries.com/towing/store.php
they will either tell you absolutely no or indicate if they have customers who do tow albeit with no warranty from them or Honda.
Thank you, Tom.

I did check the Remco website and they advise against doing this. I know my brother is jousting windmills here, but I am also curious why modern fixed gear Honda transmissions are no longer towable. I do understand why CVT running gear cannot be drug down the highway, but why not the 6 speed tranny?

Did Honda make a fundamental change in their transmission designs that would cause them to fail when towed in neutral? Or...are they merely concerned about 'operator error' issues that lead to warranty claims?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #4

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer on the 2016's. I now tow an 03 Odyssey and have been searching for a newer toad but I like the van idea. I had been told you could tow the van up to and including 2013 (I think it was a five-speed). I have read the CRV is no longer towable...I think 2014 was the last year which may have been for the same reason. Let me know if you discover anything else. Tom
Old 08-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Big_Boy - I occasionally search IRV2 for Pilot towing threads, and just found yours.
Earlier this year I spoke with a guy who is actually towing a 2016 Honda Pilot, 6 speed. Blue Ox actually engineered and manufactured a baseplate for the 2016 Pilot. So I contacted Blue Ox and they put me in touch with the guy who has their baseplate and tows his 2016 Pilot. He told me he purchases a new Pilot every two years, and flat tows them. He had towed the 2016 only about 2000 miles when we talked. He had zero problems, and anticipated none.
We have not acted on a new Pilot, so we didn't pursue this. If / when we decide to purchase a new Pilot, I'll contact this guy again.
BTW, we've towed our 2009 5-speed Pilot for about 16,000 miles, with zero issues. Prior to towing, we shift the transmission per Honda's recommendation for their other towable automatics (P-1-2-D-N), and we change the transmission fluid with every engine oil change ($70). We now tow a 2014 CRV and are looking to upgrade to the new Pilot, primarily for more room and power.
Any new news is appreciated!
zalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaska View Post
Big_Boy - I occasionally search IRV2 for Pilot towing threads, and just found yours.
Earlier this year I spoke with a guy who is actually towing a 2016 Honda Pilot, 6 speed. Blue Ox actually engineered and manufactured a baseplate for the 2016 Pilot. So I contacted Blue Ox and they put me in touch with the guy who has their baseplate and tows his 2016 Pilot. He told me he purchases a new Pilot every two years, and flat tows them. He had towed the 2016 only about 2000 miles when we talked. He had zero problems, and anticipated none.
We have not acted on a new Pilot, so we didn't pursue this. If / when we decide to purchase a new Pilot, I'll contact this guy again.
BTW, we've towed our 2009 5-speed Pilot for about 16,000 miles, with zero issues. Prior to towing, we shift the transmission per Honda's recommendation for their other towable automatics (P-1-2-D-N), and we change the transmission fluid with every engine oil change ($70). We now tow a 2014 CRV and are looking to upgrade to the new Pilot, primarily for more room and power.
Any new news is appreciated!
Thank you kindly for this important information. I kept wondering why Blue Ox had designed the baseplate for this--there must be customers.

You already are 'off the reservation' by towing a 2009 Pilot. If you look in recommendations from Remco (or FMCA), the 2009 Pilot is not listed. Thus...I can only think it is a Honda thing. Honda probably decided to avoid warranty claims by writing off this small piece of market share.

It sounds like, if you are extremely careful, that the transmissions and driveline on a 2016 Pilot (with 6 speed), should be OK. It also sounds like if you have a transmission failure, you are on your own to fix it.

Tags
honda