Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Dinghy Towing

I recently traded our 2014 Jeep Cherokee for a 2016 Grand Cherokee. As many of you know the Cherokees had the wobble problem when towed behind a motorhome because the electronic steering was without power.

Jeep rectified that problem by adding a wiring harness that supplies power to the steering, even when the Cherokee is turned off for towing.

The 2016 Grand Cherokee ALSO now has electronic steering. I am just wondering if those of you who tow a 2016 GC have experienced the death wobble where the Jeep's wheels wobble after driving over uneven terrain?

I would hate to go through the same mess with Jeep again!
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

We did the same thing. We had a 2015 Cherokee Limited that was bought back by Chrysler. We now have a 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited. It tows well, although its a little heavier than its little brother. As far as the 2015 Cherokee, we had no problems towing what so ever. I have only towed the GC a few hundred miles. No issues there either. I think the set up for towing procedure in the manual is still for the 2015 GC with the electric shifter. it mentions the transmission automatically goes in park when the transfer case goes into neutral.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the post. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. We experienced the Cherokee death wobble three times and it is scary. It shakes the entire RV - it feels like your toad is completely out of control (which it is). You have to come to a complete stop and then the wobble is gone.

Btw, we really like the Grand Cherokee - it feels so much more solid and better put together. Bets of luck in your travels.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I recently traded our 2014 Jeep Cherokee for a 2016 Grand Cherokee. As many of you know the Cherokees had the wobble problem when towed behind a motorhome because the electronic steering was without power.
Jeep rectified that problem by adding a wiring harness that supplies power to the steering, even when the Cherokee is turned off for towing.
The 2016 Grand Cherokee ALSO now has electronic steering. I am just wondering if those of you who tow a 2016 GC have experienced the death wobble where the Jeep's wheels wobble after driving over uneven terrain?
Carefree
Why did you buy another toad that might cause you the same problem as the one you got rid of?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
mel_s = good question. Our Cherokee had tons of issues, not the least being the transmission. It left us stranded too many times. The straw that broke the camel's back was the Jeep needing a brand new transmission after only 20K miles. We go to very remote places and we need a car we can rely on.

Also needed an off road capable vehicle, but wasn't ready to go for a Wrangler.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
mel_s = good question. Our Cherokee had tons of issues, not the least being the transmission. It left us stranded too many times. The straw that broke the camel's back was the Jeep needing a brand new transmission after only 20K miles. We go to very remote places and we need a car we can rely on.

Also needed an off road capable vehicle, but wasn't ready to go for a Wrangler.
At least your transmission lasted till 20K, our went at 7K. I didn't realize the 2016 Grand Cherokee went to electric assist steering, until after the fact. I love the GC and haven't had any issues towing it.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Just to let you know, as of right now FCA is NOT fixing the issue. They sent out and addendum to the owners manual that states you need to add the wiring harness to the vehicle.
In other words, a car that they have touted as being 4Wheel Flat Towable is not unless you the consumer pay for an harness to make it that way. I would have no problem if it were that way when I bought one but they are the one that stated it can be towed behind an RV 4 wheels down due to the Active Drive II Transfer case, but 2 years later when they realize that it is NOT true due to a design issue they want the consumer to pay for it.
I will be getting rid of all my FCA vehicles and going to Ford or GM.

Don't buy any FCA autos that state 4wheel down towing they won't back it.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:26 AM   #8

Interesting enough that FCA is paying for the wiring and switch that keeps the power steering active. They did the TSB on mine free of costs. You should reach out to FCA directly. I know others that also had it done free.

I have 13k trouble free miles with my KL.
jpoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:

Carefree,

After driving both a 2016 Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, we have decided to go with a Grand Cherokee. I asked the salesmen about the 2016s GC now having electric steering and if they had any info on problems flat towing like the Cherokee had. He did not know but said he would find out, so still waiting on that info.

So have you had any problems so far?

Did you have any problems installing the tow brackets, and stuff needed to flat tow?
One of the GC I was looking at had forward radar equipment mounted on the bottom of the grill for a collision warning system, and where the tow brackets would go I would have to modify that plastic piece. Just wondering if I need to look at one that does not have a radar, since it could be in the way of installing tow brackets or could too easily be damaged by road crap while towing. Some had tow hooks already installed and the plastic piece already cut, but that was on a Overland package.

Thanks,
Jen

G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
Carefree,

After driving both a 2016 Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, we have decided to go with a Grand Cherokee. I asked the salesmen about the 2016s GC now having electric steering and if they had any info on problems flat towing like the Cherokee had. He did not know but said he would find out, so still waiting on that info.

So have you had any problems so far?

Did you have any problems installing the tow brackets, and stuff needed to flat tow?
One of the GC I was looking at had forward radar equipment mounted on the bottom of the grill for a collision warning system, and where the tow brackets would go I would have to modify that plastic piece. Just wondering if I need to look at one that does not have a radar, since it could be in the way of installing tow brackets or could too easily be damaged by road crap while towing. Some had tow hooks already installed and the plastic piece already cut, but that was on a Overland package.

Thanks,
Jen

Just installed the Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit on our new 2016 GC Overland with adaptive cruise control (hence, the center eyeball that you referred to), with the help of a neighbor who's an expert mechanic. The installation took parts of 3 days, roughly half of which was progressively cutting and trial-fitting the lower grill until we got just enough trimmed off. I haven't towed it yet, but have hooked up to test wiring, and tested the adaptive cruise while driving, and it works fine. No need to avoid that feature.

One difficulty with the Blue Ox kit is that the GCs in the multi-year range that use that baseplate have at least three different grill configurations. The baseplate itself is easy to install (once you remove the front fascia), but if your GC doesn't have tow hooks (ours didn't), you have to do your own cutting. We used a hacksaw blade and a Dremel, and a lot of trial-and-error, but the final result was excellent. I don't know that I'd have trusted "professional" dealer service folks to do as careful a job.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Just installed the Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit on our new 2016 GC Overland with adaptive cruise control (hence, the center eyeball that you referred to), with the help of a neighbor who's an expert mechanic. The installation took parts of 3 days, roughly half of which was progressively cutting and trial-fitting the lower grill until we got just enough trimmed off. I haven't towed it yet, but have hooked up to test wiring, and tested the adaptive cruise while driving, and it works fine. No need to avoid that feature.

One difficulty with the Blue Ox kit is that the GCs in the multi-year range that use that baseplate have at least three different grill configurations. The baseplate itself is easy to install (once you remove the front fascia), but if your GC doesn't have tow hooks (ours didn't), you have to do your own cutting. We used a hacksaw blade and a Dremel, and a lot of trial-and-error, but the final result was excellent. I don't know that I'd have trusted "professional" dealer service folks to do as careful a job.
Thanks Crabby Mike, we will keep that option on the list. Going back to the dealer today to do one more road test on the GC that has the Forward Collision Warning system/Adaptive Cruise system and one that only has the blind spot/cross path detection. I will look more in detail at the front grill to get an idea of what we will have to do to cut out the plastic for the brackets before we decide on one.
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Just to let you know, as of right now FCA is NOT fixing the issue. They sent out and addendum to the owners manual that states you need to add the wiring harness to the vehicle.
In other words, a car that they have touted as being 4Wheel Flat Towable is not unless you the consumer pay for an harness to make it that way. I would have no problem if it were that way when I bought one but they are the one that stated it can be towed behind an RV 4 wheels down due to the Active Drive II Transfer case, but 2 years later when they realize that it is NOT true due to a design issue they want the consumer to pay for it.
I will be getting rid of all my FCA vehicles and going to Ford or GM.

Don't buy any FCA autos that state 4wheel down towing they won't back it.

Our 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk just had the wiring harness added and we were not charged for the harness or the installation because the vehicle was still under warranty.
bbunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I have not had any issues yet towing our GC Limited. We use a roadmaster setup. I do not have adaptive cruise control or forward collision warning. Our installer removed the tow hooks and installed the base plate instead.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:12 AM   #14

Our 2016 Grand Cherokee has been wonderful. We have only found 1 issue, and it doesn't concern towing. The GPS has an issue calculating a route, if you don't start it from a road the GPS can discern. An example would be, sitting in a parking lot or a long driveway. When it tries to calculate the route, before any percent complete shows up, the little box goes gray and says failed. There is supposed to be a software fix in 3rd quarter. The easy workaround is don't hit go, till you are on a major street.

Other than that, she has been a pleasure to own, tow and drive.

Tags
tow, towing