Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question on Need to Dis-arm Security System

Just had our new 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Summit rigged out today with a Roadmaster Towbar and using the Blackhawk II All Terrain Towbar together with SMI Air Force 1 Brake System. Will be setting off on our inaugural trip with the car in tow tomorrow and happened to question whether I need to dis-arm the OEM security system in the vehicle.

The Owner's Manual under towing, RV towing outlines the procedure for setting the car up for flat tow but does not address the OEM security system. I do plan to tow the vehicle with all doors locked but am now questioning whether I can do so by simply locking all doors via the Remote Access Key Fob which arms the security system or if I have to use the manual door lock plunger procedure or use the emergency key (metal key stored in key fob).

Any advice or experience others have with regard to flat towing a GC with security system will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dinghy: Jeep GC Summit 4x4
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #16

My process is this. Hook up tow bar, put transfer case in neutral, and set up brake box on floorboard.
One thing, I dont know if they changed the manual, because the version I had was still referencing the shifter that is giving Jeep problems. You must put the transmission shifter in park after putting the transfer case in neutral. The old manual said this was done automatically. Last steps are close the door and I hit the lock button on the door. I alway double check the emergency brake and make sure it's off. Old habit from our previous 2015 Cherokee. The GC rows well. Good luck on your trip!

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:52 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Bill.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
I just set a 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit up to flat tow. Roadmaster baseplate and tow bar. First time towing about 20 miles into trip, DEATH WOBBLE. We were pulling out of a side road onto main highway, hard uphill with sharp left turn when it started. Stopped and restarted hasn't happened again. Yet. We're stopped now until Saturday, then about 250 miles home. It will be at dealership Monday morning. We were assured it had all necessary TSB's done to flat tow.
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:39 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
It will be at dealership Monday morning. We were assured it had all necessary TSB's done to flat tow.
Curious to learn what you find out. Please share.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:42 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On activating the security system (i.e. arming with key fob prior to flat towing), I checked with both Jeep (corp.) and my local dealer's shop foreman who both confirmed that I can indeed set the alarm when flat towing.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #21

We bought the 2016 Grand Cherokee for four reasons.

1. FCA was more willing to take our 2015 Cherokee off our hands (buy back) if we purchased another FCA vehicle.

2. Since it would also serve as my daily driver, I wanted (deserved) something nice and comfortable.

3. I wanted/needed something that was flat towable.

4. The Jeep Wrangler would have a field day with my back. I had surgery in January and it can no longer stand up to a rough ride.

Rest assured, If I start having the Death Wobble with the GC I will DUMP it $$ loss or not. Even if it means getting the Soccer Mom special (Equinox).

We've spent too much time getting to this point in our lives to spend it worrying about crap like this.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
I just set a 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit up to flat tow. Roadmaster baseplate and tow bar. First time towing about 20 miles into trip, DEATH WOBBLE. We were pulling out of a side road onto main highway, hard uphill with sharp left turn when it started. Stopped and restarted hasn't happened again. Yet. We're stopped now until Saturday, then about 250 miles home. It will be at dealership Monday morning. We were assured it had all necessary TSB's done to flat tow.
Are you talking about the Grand Cherokee or Cherokee? I have never heard of anyone having the Death Wobble with the GC. I have flat towed our 2016 for 6,000 miles this year over sometimes very rough and uneven terrain and have never experienced any shaking.

I used to own a Cherokee Trailhawk and that thing would violently shake behind our coach when conditions were right. You mentioned TSB's done for flat towing - as far as I know there never had been a TSB for that purpose for the GC, but certainly for the Cherokee.

If you have indeed a 2016 Grand Cherokee with these symptoms, then I'd be very curious to hear what Jeep has to say about it.

We might have to get all flat towing 2016 GC owners to join in a letter to Jeep to have this issue addressed. That's what we did with the Cherokee. We even got FMCA involved, which turned out to be the only way to get Jeeps attention. Jeep finally developed a wiring kit for the Cherokee to deal with the issue.

Please let us know. This is really important.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #23

American Coach Owners Club
It is a GC. It was shaking so bad that the rear of the motor home was shaking. We had just started from a stop so weren't going but about 20mph. I am calling dealership today and taking it in on Monday. We have only had the GC a month. Maybe 2000 miles but this was first time towing.
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Jeep Base Plates

I have a set of base plates for a 2006 Grand Cherokee and a set for a 2013 Wrangler Rubicon. We have moved on to a newer GC so would like to find a home for them.
They include the inserts for Stow Master tow bar. I also have one Stow Master tow bar.

Attached photo

Thanks

Jim
Old 10-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #25

Took delivery of a 2016 Grand Cherokee in June of this year. Finally got around to putting on an Air Force One and Blue Ox baseplate in September. Got to tow it for the first time to an FMCA Rally in Petoskey, MI (close to the Big Mac) at the end of September. Towing up there was uneventful. When we left the rally, and as we proceeded out to make a left turn into the center turn lane, we felt this "wobble". Not knowing what this was really scared the hell out of us. As traffic cleared I was able to pull in the right lane and almost immediately on a side road. We thought for sure either an arm of the low bar was not connected or we had multiple flats. TPMS was OK. The car appeared normal on the backup camera. We stopped and inspection showed everything to be normal. We completed our four hour trip home without any other incident. Then I recalled reading about the Cherokee "wobble" in July. Needless to say this is very upsetting as I have less than 1,000 miles on this car. My wife and I have been towing my 2003 Honda Pilot for over 120,000 miles and her 1999 Honda CRV for about 50,000 to 60,000 miles. I will kick myself for getting rid of the Pilot if this "wobble" becomes a persistent problem. A call is scheduled to Jeep customer service for the first thing tomorrow morning. Sorry all you 2016 JGC owners who had the same problems with their Cherokees. IT'S BACK!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:31 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I recently traded our 2014 Jeep Cherokee for a 2016 Grand Cherokee. As many of you know the Cherokees had the wobble problem when towed behind a motorhome because the electronic steering was without power.

Jeep rectified that problem by adding a wiring harness that supplies power to the steering, even when the Cherokee is turned off for towing.

The 2016 Grand Cherokee ALSO now has electronic steering. I am just wondering if those of you who tow a 2016 GC have experienced the death wobble where the Jeep's wheels wobble after driving over uneven terrain?

I would hate to go through the same mess with Jeep again!
You should have kept your Jeep Cherokee. The problem is not the car but the tow setup. Prior to hooking up your Toad do these checks.
1. Grab the Tow bars and extend them as if you were going to hook them up. Now wiggle them back and forth and up and down as fast as possible. Is there any play or clunking going on? Basically the Hitch is moving in the receiver and that is what precipitates the Death Wobble.
2. Measure the distance from the ground to a point on the front of the Toad prior to hook up.
Now hook up with the MH at normal ride height and re-measure the ground to the same point. If it is more than before then you have Unloaded the front end of the Toad and it will add to the Death Wobble.
To fix the clunking in the Receiver add a Silent Hitch from Roadmaster.

I've been driving mine for 2 years and in all types of terrain across the country and have not had the Death Wobble.
This Death Wobble can happen with any Toad that has an EPS or the front end is unloaded
Old 10-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
You should have kept your Jeep Cherokee. The problem is not the car but the tow setup. Prior to hooking up your Toad do these checks.
1. Grab the Tow bars and extend them as if you were going to hook them up. Now wiggle them back and forth and up and down as fast as possible. Is there any play or clunking going on? Basically the Hitch is moving in the receiver and that is what precipitates the Death Wobble.
2. Measure the distance from the ground to a point on the front of the Toad prior to hook up.
Now hook up with the MH at normal ride height and re-measure the ground to the same point. If it is more than before then you have Unloaded the front end of the Toad and it will add to the Death Wobble.
To fix the clunking in the Receiver add a Silent Hitch from Roadmaster.

I've been driving mine for 2 years and in all types of terrain across the country and have not had the Death Wobble.
This Death Wobble can happen with any Toad that has an EPS or the front end is unloaded
You just got lucky. It has nothing to do with the tow setup. Jeep acknowledged the issue and implemented a fix. I would urge you to have the Jeep fix installed. If the circumstances are right you will experience the death wobble as well.

The reason we sold our Cherokee was transmission failure - three times. It was too unreliable. I had the wobble fix installed and that worked just fine but the transmission dying on us was too much.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:30 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lock it via the key fob or by what ever means you like. It does not matter, if you set the security system or not.

Tags
tow, towing