Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Lock it via the key fob or by what ever means you like. It does not matter, if you set the security system or not.
I think what Carefree is trying to say is that the wobble induced in the 14 and newer Cherokees was caused by the lack of tension on the steering system, due to the Electric Power Steering being off when in tow mode. Jeeps fix is to install a harness that will energize the electric power steering while its being towed. This will put tension on the front end and eliminate the "Death Wobble" in the Cherokees. It was originally thought that play (slop) in the tow bar / receiver connection was causing the problem. Jeep has proven that to be an incorrect assumption. In 2016, Jeep changed the Grand Cherokee to also use the Electric Power Steering. The owners of new Grand Cherokees are wondering if the Death Wobble will now start showing up in their setup. I have towed ours for about 1,000 miles with no issues. It remains to be seen if the problem becomes more prevalent. I sure hope not. I am one of those that off-loaded my 2015 Cherokee because it was undependable. It towed wonderfully. No problems in 4,000 miles.

BPoland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I have not had any issues yet towing our GC Limited. We use a roadmaster setup. I do not have adaptive cruise control or forward collision warning. Our installer removed the tow hooks and installed the base plate instead.
We recently purchased '16 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 and it has been flawless flat towing thus far using the Roadmaster Blackhawk II and SMI Air Force I braking system. Our GC does have adaptive cruise control.

Dinghy: Jeep GC Summit 4x4
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
This is a very curious subject to me. I traded my 2013 Rubicon for a used 2104 CG Summit Diesel and used a Blue OX system to tow it. We have towed it over 5000 miles and have not had any indication of a wobble. I asked my local Jeep dealer about it, they had no idea what I was talking about. Possibly the previous owner had it installed but there is no record of it in the service records. Can anyone tell me where the add on wire harness would be located?

Thanks

Jim
Old 10-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Had conversation with my Jeep dealer yesterday and discussed the wobble. As I said I did not experience wobble with my 2014 GC Summit Diesel but asked them about the issue anyway. They said the wobble was exclusive to the Cherokee not the Grand Cherokee. I don't thing thats correct, comments?

Jim
Old 10-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsnet View Post
Had conversation with my Jeep dealer yesterday and discussed the wobble. As I said I did not experience wobble with my 2014 GC Summit Diesel but asked them about the issue anyway. They said the wobble was exclusive to the Cherokee not the Grand Cherokee. I don't thing thats correct, comments?

Jim
The only report so far of death wobble on a GC (that I've heard of) is the one from "mhudson" earlier in this thread. It remains to be seen if that was some sort of unusual circumstance (I think he said he was making a sharp turn uphill when it happened), or the same issue as in the Cherokee. We've only towed our 2016 GC on a few short trips so far, but no problems yet. Although the GC apparently now has the same sort of electronic power steering as the Cherokee, I'd like to think that there's enough of a physical difference in the front end that we may not be subject to the same problem. But only time will tell ...
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
You don't have to worry with your 2014, it does not have electronic steering. Jeep introduced that feature on the 2016 models first. Never trust a dealers assurances. My Jeep dealer had no idea that the Cherokee had this wobble problem up until I had the wiring harness installed by them.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
Went to dealer Monday. Did not get off to a good start with the service advisor. Spoke with the service mgr and its in a waiting to hear back from corporate.
The Grand Cherokee towed perfect remainder of our trip.
I went to the intersection today where we had the problem. It's an uphill hard left turn onto a main thoroughfare that is banked opposite of the side road. I'm wondering if the overhang at the rear of the MH actually lifted the front of the jeep almost off the ground and caused the problem?
I'm concerned that it could happen again at higher speed or in a heavy traffic situation where I'm not able to stop. Construction zones on interstate being a prime example.
I tow a 2016 GMC 2500 pickup occasionally with the battery disconnected with electric assisted steering and have not had this problem. Of course a lot more weight on the front end of the truck.
I hope Jeep steps up and does the right thing. We'll have to see.
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD
mhudson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:05 AM   #36

I have a 13 Jeep GC summit V6.,what will I need to tow it with my Winnabago View. Mercedes chassis. My Jeep is around 4400 lbs. I think the View with a 5K tow hitch. The View weighed in at 10,500. Do you think it's doable?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
I have a 13 Jeep GC summit V6.,what will I need to tow it with my Winnabago View. Mercedes chassis. My Jeep is around 4400 lbs. I think the View with a 5K tow hitch. The View weighed in at 10,500. Do you think it's doable?
Your coach should have a sticker listing its weight ratings. You can tow the GC if:
- the combined weight of coach and towed are under your GCWR
- the towed weight is less than the capacity of your hitch

That said, it seems to me like a lot to tow with that size RV. I'd definitely want an auxiliary braking system for the towed.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #38

American Coach Owners Club
Have been dealing with one ruptured disk and one collapsed disk in my neck last few weeks so not a lot of time to deal with the wobble problem. Looks like I'm going to have to have another fusion surgery so taking them on a field trip to the spot where it happened is not an option for a couple of months. The dealer is being noncommittal about the problem. Only good thing is the intersection in Cross Hill is only about 20 miles from the dealership and the service manager has agreed to do a ride along when I'm able.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD
mhudson is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing