Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Flat Towable?

Hello everyone, my wife and I just bought a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo because we were told it was flat towable. I did some looking online and what I was reading seemed to line-up with that, now I'm not so sure. It seems to depend on the quadra-trac version that is installed and I don't know what version I have or how to find out. And I'm afraid I may have just purchased a vehicle that now won't be able to do what we ultimately purchased it for. Anyone know how to find out or if this is flat-towable?

Thanks,
Ryan
renewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ryan! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

If it's towable there will be specific instructions in the owner's manual.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #3

Thanks!

Thank you for the welcome. I'm reading through the owners manual but it has use cases for if it has each type of system installed, but doesn't say how to determine the type you have. So I'm still unsure.

Also, I'm assuming that if you have the quadra-trac I there's no way to have the quadra-trac II installed? Sorry for what are probably very newbie questions, we are just starting to try all this and don't know a lot yet.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Hello, I recently bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. I was told that if the vehicle has a dial on the console that allows me to put the transfer in neutral that it’s ok to flat tow.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leary54 View Post
Hello, I recently bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. I was told that if the vehicle has a dial on the console that allows me to put the transfer in neutral that it’s ok to flat tow.
Well, I don't have that dial, which I'm seeing as well as something that would be needed. So unfortunately it's looking like I don't have that option. Not happy about that, since the dealer said it was flat towable, but gotta make lemonade. Anyone know of any good flatbeds for towing a Jeep GC?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by renewer View Post
Hello everyone, my wife and I just bought a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo because we were told it was flat towable. I did some looking online and what I was reading seemed to line-up with that, now I'm not so sure. It seems to depend on the quadra-trac version that is installed and I don't know what version I have or how to find out. And I'm afraid I may have just purchased a vehicle that now won't be able to do what we ultimately purchased it for. Anyone know how to find out or if this is flat-towable?

Thanks,
Ryan
You might try contacting JeepCares at fcasocial@fcagroup.com with your VIN number. They should be able to tell you what drive line you have, and whether it can be towed four down or not.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you do not have this control on the console with the Neutral (N) button it is not flat towable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	229056  
Old 12-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Well, I don't have that dial, which I'm seeing as well as something that would be needed. So unfortunately it's looking like I don't have that option. Not happy about that, since the dealer said it was flat towable, but gotta make lemonade. Anyone know of any good flatbeds for towing a Jeep GC?
Sorry you were misled about the JEEP. I use an H&H Speedloader trailer to put a vehicle on behind my RV. No ramps, as whole bed tilts. Puts the towing wear and tear on a trailer that is much cheaper than what I haul on it, and has its own brakes.

Mark
datsun78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #9

Usually you can check it out in the dingy list for that year and model of vehicle. Ours is a 2016 jeep Cherokee but it has the special transmission
Runowskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:35 AM   #10

Renewer,

Your Jeep Loredo must be equipped with the Quada Trac II or be a Quada Trac II 4X4 model to be flat towed.

No two wheel drive model can be flat towed.

See page 608 of your owners manual under "Recreational Towing"

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:34 AM   #11

That was suppose to read "Quadra"

Sent from my SM-G955U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:

Thanks,
Ryan
Any chance of you returning your Laredo because it is not as represented? Alternately, you might ask the salesman/dealership to show you how you put the transfer case into neutral.

Sent from my SM-N910V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
harrierncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrierncd View Post
Any chance of you returning your Laredo because it is not as represented? Alternately, you might ask the salesman/dealership to show you how you put the transfer case into neutral.

Sent from my SM-N910V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
I was thinking the same thing about returning the jeep. If the salesperson told you it could be towed 4 down, then you should be able to return it for a full refund. That is misrepresentation of a product.

Sent from my P008 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, tow