Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #29

Any info if the MKX was a AWD or FWD. That could make a difference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #30

2016 MKX was 3.7L V6 TIVCT AWD 6-SPD Selectshift Auto Tran. Differing sets of instructions appear in the HTML version of the owner's manual which says not to exceed 70 mph and the PDF version of the owner's manual which says not to exceed 65 mph. Both say 6 hours or less. The vehicle had ~13,500 on odometer and was 22 months old. We had towed it an additional 5000 miles successfully until this failure. We were on interstate highways the entire trip. The air temperature was 85 degrees.
charperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2016 Lincoln MKX Transmission Failure Flat Towing

I just ran across this:

http://www.carproblemzoo.com/lincoln...n-problems.php

Battery ran down and the car put itself in park.

Power Train problem

The contact owns a 2017 Lincoln Mkx. The contact stated that the vehicle was designed to have a tow mode, which would allow the vehicle to tow. While the 39,000 lbs vehicle was towing a 50,000 lbs RV, the vehicle's battery failed. The vehicle was designed to go into park mode, which locked all four tires when the battery failed. Once the vehicle went into park mode, it caused the vehicle to be dragged by the RV for several miles. The contact stated that the park mode feature should not occur since the vehicle was in neutral when in tow mode. The contact called camelback Ford (1330 e camelback road, phoenix, az 85014; 602-635-7551) and was informed that the vehicle functioned as expected according to the design of the feature. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue, but the contact did not receive a response. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
I just ran across this:

2017 Lincoln MKX Power Train related problems

Battery ran down and the car put itself in park.

Power Train problem

The contact owns a 2017 Lincoln Mkx. The contact stated that the vehicle was designed to have a tow mode, which would allow the vehicle to tow. While the 39,000 lbs vehicle was towing a 50,000 lbs RV, the vehicle's battery failed. The vehicle was designed to go into park mode, which locked all four tires when the battery failed. Once the vehicle went into park mode, it caused the vehicle to be dragged by the RV for several miles. The contact stated that the park mode feature should not occur since the vehicle was in neutral when in tow mode. The contact called camelback Ford (1330 e camelback road, phoenix, az 85014; 602-635-7551) and was informed that the vehicle functioned as expected according to the design of the feature. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue, but the contact did not receive a response. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.
This is confusing. Was the Lincoln towing or being towed? Did the tires get worn flat?
Did the transmission fail? At any rate the Lincoln does not weigh 39000 pounds. It is my understanding that the neutral tow mode is supposed to stop the drain on the battery.
charperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are probably some typos in that description. What I get from that incident is that the battery was discharged, causing the transmission to put itself into Park as a safety / fail safe measure. I’m guessing they meant that a 3,900# vehicle was being towed by a 50,000# RV.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:16 AM   #34

Well, that's interesting. A vehicle designed to force itself into park just because the battery died? What will they think of next?
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Fusion will put itself into Park if I shut off the engine, but I’ve only seen that done when the car is stopped. I haven’t tested it while moving.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
My Fusion will put itself into Park if I shut off the engine, but I’ve only seen that done when the car is stopped. I haven’t tested it while moving.
Go give it a try and report back.

"Just kidding"
Old 06-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
OK, if FORD customer relations has denied warranty coverage it time to get their attention. The first thing you will have to do is get an attorney to file a "lemon law" letter to FORD Motor Co notifying them of your intent to proceed with lemon law litigation.
Don't "lemon laws" require some failed number of attempted repairs before they come into play?

If so, I don't see how a "lemon law" would be of any assistance in the OPs situation.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2016 Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide says that the 2016 Lincoln MKX is towable 4 down so I would challenge this decision:

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorh...inghyGuide.pdf

Tags
tow, towing, transmission