Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

2016 Tacoma again!

Does anyone here tow a 2016 Tacoma or know of anyone that does? I did find a little info online. Apparently you have to modify the steering wheel lock. Actually disable it by grinding a pin . I am told the vehicle has hydraulic assist power brakes and that could also be a problem. I have no problem with a driveshaft disconnect as I towed a 2005 Tacoma with a disconnect. Thanks
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You might want to look for other sources of information.

1. You can disable the steering wheel lock by leaving the key in the ACC position (one position back from Run). If your battery discharges for whatever reason, add a charging line from the motorhome.

2. Who cares if you have hydraulic boost brakes. Most braking systems (other than the ones operated by the coach air pressure) don't use your power brakes - in fact you are instructed to bleed them down. If your coach has air brakes, I'd contact the brake manufacturer for advice on hydraulic boost systems.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Apparently you have to modify the steering wheel lock. Actually disable it by grinding a pin .

Actually you don't have to do anything. You simply turn the key to ON then turn the key to OFF but DO NOT REMOVE the key. The steering will stay unlocked until the key is removed. Most Asian imports and a lot of domestic vehicles built since 2009 operate this way. Try it. I know all my Toyota's and my 2016 Equinox operate this way.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

luvlabs: THx for the reply. My brake system is a US Gear Unified tow brake it definitely uses the power brakes. Comes with a vacuum pump. I have had it for years and move it from toad and MH to Toad and MH. Works great. Every year the vehicles get more complicated when it comes to towing. With electric steering, electric brake boosters and more. I will have to find the article on the one fellow who tows a 16 Taco and find out why he had to modify the steering wheel lock.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 08-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #5

My guess is that he has the push button start option. I have a stay n play brake system. I contacted the mfr and they said no issue with electric brake boost. Haven't pulled the trigger on a Tacoma yet but it's on my short list.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

Yes that guy did have the push button start. He mentioned the anti theft system as well. Sounds complicated. Unless you can unlock the wheel and disconnect the battery. There is a model without the PB start but it lacks some other perks.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 08-07-2016, 01:01 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PER the Owners Manual:
NOT 4 Flat Dingy Towable.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:06 AM   #8

Zuper: Your response is a little strange. There are many thousands of vehicles being towed with owners manuals stating they cannot be flat towed. Almost every foreign manufacturer does not approve of flat towing We successfully towed a 2005 Tacoma with the same notation in the owner's manual . Lube pumps and driveshaft disconnects often solve the no tow problem. I posed my question as the Tacoma has some equipment that makes it difficult to tow.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 08-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
PER the Owners Manual:
NOT 4 Flat Dingy Towable.
Toyota has always had that statement in their manuals. They are flat towable but you need to add a driveshaft disconnect. Towed my 98 Tacoma many, many miles. Never had any issue getting warranty service. Tacoma makes a great toad.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Toyota has always had that statement in their manuals. They are flat towable but you need to add a driveshaft disconnect. Towed my 98 Tacoma many, many miles. Never had any issue getting warranty service. Tacoma makes a great toad.
I was just at Toyota yesterday looking at the new 2016 Tacoma. Everyone I spoke to including the Service Manager told me it is NOT towable 4 down. They said that in the event of some type of failure the warranty would most likely not cover the repair. They told me that even with some of the after market lube pumps/driveshaft disconnects installed does not guarantee the warranty will not be voided. Maybe they made them little different in 1998, but I don't think I would chance it. I'm a Toyota fan, we currently own a 4Runner and a Camry Hybrid. I have owned numerous Toyotas, and never had one needing anything other than normal maintenance, including our 4Runner with 125,000 miles on it. I would much rather buy any Toyota to tow, than a Jeep, but as good as they are built, Toyota is still adamant that no new Toyota is towable 4 down. If anyone could convince me otherwise, I would go buy one tomorrow as I think for the purpose the Tacoma is a way better vehicle than the Jeep for the money.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #11

The only time they can and will refuse warranty is if the device you installed caused the problem. The driveshaft disconnect can cause a problem if there is owner error or a bad installation. Otherwise it is foolproof. My only concerns are keeping the wheel unlocked and some type of difficulty with the electronics. Will disconnecting the battery affect anything? Will the anti theft system be problematic? What about the smart key and the push button start? I also do not think my US Gear Unified Tow brake system is compatible with the hydraulic brake booster. Lots to think about. For now I will wait until there is more information from users. Might not happen .
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 08-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
The only time they can and will refuse warranty is if the device you installed caused the problem. The driveshaft disconnect can cause a problem if there is owner error or a bad installation. Otherwise it is foolproof. My only concerns are keeping the wheel unlocked and some type of difficulty with the electronics. Will disconnecting the battery affect anything? Will the anti theft system be problematic? What about the smart key and the push button start? I also do not think my US Gear Unified Tow brake system is compatible with the hydraulic brake booster. Lots to think about. For now I will wait until there is more information from users. Might not happen .
I actually asked if they would install those things, and I was told that Toyota will not install them and it would have to be done at some aftermarket shop. The reason was similar to what you stated about a bad install, or owner use, and Toyota doesn't want that liability. There is no "only time" for warranty issues when they tell you upfront not to tow 4 down, as they state it so there will be no warranty issues in court. You may never have a problem but if you do I wouldn't count on winning that battle. Regarding all the other concerns you have I don't think there is any issue as we also inquired about dolly towing our Camry Hybrid, which has the smart key, push button start, anti theft systems ect. Toyota said it would not be an issue to dolly tow the Camry and none of those things would be compromised.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I was just at Toyota yesterday looking at the new 2016 Tacoma. Everyone I spoke to including the Service Manager told me it is NOT towable 4 down. They said that in the event of some type of failure the warranty would most likely not cover the repair. They told me that even with some of the after market lube pumps/driveshaft disconnects installed does not guarantee the warranty will not be voided. Maybe they made them little different in 1998, but I don't think I would chance it. I'm a Toyota fan, we currently own a 4Runner and a Camry Hybrid. I have owned numerous Toyotas, and never had one needing anything other than normal maintenance, including our 4Runner with 125,000 miles on it. I would much rather buy any Toyota to tow, than a Jeep, but as good as they are built, Toyota is still adamant that no new Toyota is towable 4 down. If anyone could convince me otherwise, I would go buy one tomorrow as I think for the purpose the Tacoma is a way better vehicle than the Jeep for the money.
Find another dealer. The 2016 Tacoma is flat towable as is every model year of Tacoma going back. I have a disconnect on my 2013 Xterra and have towed it many miles. Like Toyota the manual states not flat towable which is true without a disconnect. Dealer has never even batted an eye at the disconnect on it. The transmission is in park and the only thing spinning is the rear diff when towing. If you're not comfortable with the warranty situation don't do it. Me I'm not overly worried.

Here's a link for the kit to tow the "non-towable" Tacoma:

Application Chart
Old 08-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #14

I see that Blue Ox has a baseplate. Obviously someone has installed one. I spoke with Superior Driveline ( Remco) and he has the kit in stock. He claims that to unlock the steering wheel you push the start button once??? Don't know what you do with the smart key. We have a Suzuki with a smart key and you can turn the ignition switch if you have the key close. I have left the car with the key and the engine does not shut off. I have never had a car with push button start.
2009 Silverado Toad