Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is my understanding that you need to have the 2 speed transfer case that is normally standard when you select the "heavy duty towing" option.

The switch must Neutral on it from what I read in the online version of the owners manual.

In searching vehicles on dealer lots, not all have the 2 speed transfer case.

ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #16

I ended up taking the car to my local Chevy dealer here in Chino, CA. The service adviser who I have been dealing with for years took a look at the car, went back on the computer, back out to the car, back on the computer, looked up and asked me if I had bought the car from their dealer. He was happy to hear the word "NO" come out of my mouth.
Turns out that Chevy has two different transfer cases available; one of which is a single speed transfer case (This will never tow), and there is an option to get the two speed transfer case that can go into neutral. My Tahoe came equipped with the single speed transfer case.

I went back to my dealer and explained the issue, thankfully I have done a lot of business with them over the years, they bought my Tahoe back with 1,200 miles on it and ordered me the corrected Tahoe that I can Tow.

Thankful the dealer stood behind their sale and did the right thing.

I will let everyone know what happens when the new Tahoe arrives in about 5 weeks.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #17

It turns out that Chevy has an option on their 4 wheel drive vehicles that you must have in order to tow. I needed the 2-speed transfer case option with the 4 wheel drive car selection. Thankfully the dealer who knew that I was ordering the Tahoe to be towed, bought the vehicle back from me, gave me all my money back and ordered the same exact car but with the 2-speed transfer case option. I just received the car last week after about a 5 week wait time. The first thing I did was try the neutral option before I left the dealership. It worked just like the manual said; put the parking brake on, start the car, put the transmission in neutral, rotate the 2/4 wheel drive selector clockwise and hold all the way clockwise for at least ten seconds. It worked just like it should, red indicator light came on showing me that I was now in neutral.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
It turns out that Chevy has an option on their 4 wheel drive vehicles that you must have in order to tow. I needed the 2-speed transfer case option with the 4 wheel drive car selection. Thankfully the dealer who knew that I was ordering the Tahoe to be towed, bought the vehicle back from me, gave me all my money back and ordered the same exact car but with the 2-speed transfer case option. I just received the car last week after about a 5 week wait time. The first thing I did was try the neutral option before I left the dealership. It worked just like the manual said; put the parking brake on, start the car, put the transmission in neutral, rotate the 2/4 wheel drive selector clockwise and hold all the way clockwise for at least ten seconds. It worked just like it should, red indicator light came on showing me that I was now in neutral.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

We just purchased a new Tahoe yesterday and made sure it has the 2 speed transfer case.

ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote