Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

2017 Jeep Cherokee (Noise When Putting Into Tow Neutral)

I get a weird kind of grinding noise once in awhile when completing the process of putting the Cherokee in to tow neutral. Has anyone else experienced this?

I took it to the dealership and they could not replicate the problem. The noise happens during step 14 of the process (shifting back into park).

barryvo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #2

If your shifting back into park with the engine running, it will grind the parking pawl in the transmission.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If your shifting back into park with the engine running, it will grind the parking pawl in the transmission.
Ditto! If you shift back into park with the engine running it will grind. Turn the ignition off before shifting back into park.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

My instructions tell me to Start the engine AFTER shifting transfer case into neutral and BEFORE shifting into park. And it works well with no grinding noise.
When I first got the Cherokee, I did not start the engine and I got the grinding noise. Go figure.
Carol99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:28 AM   #5

First off, the engine IS supposed to be running when you do the final shift to P on the "new" (2014-2018, not sure about the new-new 2019 when it comes out) Cherokees. So let's clear that up to start with.

Second, it's not supposed to grind, you are doing something wrong, if it does.

You have to follow the steps in the manual exactly how they are written, that includes foot on or off the brake - if it doesn't say foot on the brake pedal, don't put your foot on the brake pedal. Let all the chimes stop before starting a step in the process.

When you do the final shift from N to P, do it quickly and firmly, do NOT pause for even a second in R (which is I bet what you did). If you hear the grind, stop, do not force it, and start all over from the beginning.

Before you turn the engine off, make sure you turn off the parking brake. Now, being contradictory, I have had to turn the engine back on to turn off the parking brake with no issues.

Finally, we do a "walking toad check" when we pull out. Wife has a walkie talkie and we check all the lights on the jeep, then I start to slowly pull away. She makes sure the tow bars extend and lock, and starts walking around the Jeep as I drive listening to ensure there are no weird noises, and all the wheels are rolling freely. Depending on getting the tow bars to lock out, she may walk along for 50 yards or so....

I made a copy of the Jeep owner's manual pages with the tow instructions, and just keep it in the Jeep console.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Here is a screen shot from the 2018 Grand Cherokee manual.

It say put it in reverse, if no vehicle movement, set the brake and shut off. Then place in park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2018-02-22-12-41-38.png
Views:	40
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	193243  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

Just to clarify, as this OP's question relates to his 2017 Jeep Cherokee, which AFAIK is exactly the same across all 2014-2018 Cherokee models (not the Grand Cherokee).

As I noted in my previous post, the engine is ON when the shift is made into P, as you can see in steps 8-13 in my 2015 owner's manual.

Not sure why it is different than the GC, but it is.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	193397  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

Identical instructions for my 2018 Latitude. I have the Active Drive II which may be the difference since the Grand Cherokee has the Quadra Trac ?
Carol99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the noise problem but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, tow