RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
2018 1.5L gas Equinox

Anyone towing this model? Any issues did they resolve the death wobble issue with its predecessors? This model is the 4cyl turbo 6speed and I assume is electric power steering.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Member since 2005

Winnebago Owners Club
There was an update posted by GM but we have not used it yet;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equinox Terrain revised flat towing.pdf (20.0 KB, 24 views)

WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
There was an update posted by GM but we have not used it yet;

That covers models 2010-2017 models. The 2018 is a towable model but I donít know how if this model may have similar issues.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #4

We have this model, have towed it about 3000 miles and have had no issues so far. Itís very easy to put into tow mode and, because of its light weight, pulls great. The one feature we got that I love is the surround vision camera system. I use this feature when pulling the car up by myself to connect to the tow bar. The system uses the front bumper camera and allows the driver to center and pull up to the right distance from the coach for hookup perfectly each and every time. I installed an AirForce One brake and a charge line from the coach to maintain the battery. No issues with battery depletion even with long tow days. The car has lots of room for such light weight and we have consistently gotten over 30 mpg. We have been very happy with this toad.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:37 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2018 1.5L gas Equinox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinjim View Post
We have this model, have towed it about 3000 miles and have had no issues so far. Itís very easy to put into tow mode and, because of its light weight, pulls great. The one feature we got that I love is the surround vision camera system. I use this feature when pulling the car up by myself to connect to the tow bar. The system uses the front bumper camera and allows the driver to center and pull up to the right distance from the coach for hookup perfectly each and every time. I installed an AirForce One brake and a charge line from the coach to maintain the battery. No issues with battery depletion even with long tow days. The car has lots of room for such light weight and we have consistently gotten over 30 mpg. We have been very happy with this toad.

I PMíd you
Old 11-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinjim View Post

Well I have my new Equinox now Iíll wait till spring to start installing the new baseplate. Might need some insight on wring in that charge line. The OM doesnít say to pull any fuses but does mention the need for the charge line. Oh BTW I know how to get around that auto start stop feature.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Well I have my new Equinox now Iíll wait till spring to start installing the new baseplate. Might need some insight on wring in that charge line. The OM doesnít say to pull any fuses but does mention the need for the charge line. Oh BTW I know how to get around that auto start stop feature.
Not sure if your chassis provides an ignition switched charge +12 volt line to the 7 pin connector or not. My Freightliner does so all I had to do was connect a 12 gauge wire to the proper pin on the 6 pin toad connector, run it up to the battery, install a 10 amp fuse (same rating as the fuse in the coach side of my charge line) and connect to the positive pole of the toad battery. Before connecting the charge line to the battery, verify no voltage with the coach ignition off, ~ 12.6 v with the coach ignition on but engine off, and ~ 13.5 v with the coach engine running. If voltages are good, connect the charge line to the battery positive pole and you are done. If you donít have a hot line already installed at the coach 7 pin connector you will need to also need do that. Be sure that you install a fuse on the coach side. Some also recommend installing a diode if the line is not switched.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great Iíll check that 7pin connector as soon as it warms up a little. I think I may have a hot wire there thatís not being used because I recently had an unrelated issue and I think I noticed a hot wire there that wasnít being used. Iíll check again.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #9

I’m looking for my first toad and the Equinox AWD would fit the need and my NE location. The other would be a Jeep Cherokee. Both have notice of the wobble because of the electric steering. Which most cars will have shortly. Do you folks have the AWD version?
Fireairdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireairdrop View Post
Iím looking for my first toad and the Equinox AWD would fit the need and my NE location. The other would be a Jeep Cherokee. Both have notice of the wobble because of the electric steering. Which most cars will have shortly. Do you folks have the AWD version?
Ours is the 2018 1.5 liter gas FWD version. I havenít heard of any wobble issues in the newer model year Equinox. We previously had a Cherokee Trailhawk and had wobble and front subframe structural issues with the baseplate. Much prefer our Equinox to the Cherokee. Good luck with your choice.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #11

I purchased a 2019 Equinox. I installed a Blue Ox baseplate myself. My neighbors thought I had gone crazy. A brand new car and I had the whole front off of it in my garage. I highly recommend that you watch the etrailer video on baseplate installation and the one on putting in a light kit. Very helpful.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream37 View Post
I purchased a 2019 Equinox. I installed a Blue Ox baseplate myself. My neighbors thought I had gone crazy. A brand new car and I had the whole front off of it in my garage. I highly recommend that you watch the etrailer video on baseplate installation and the one on putting in a light kit. Very helpful.

How much beating on the frame did it take for the Blue Ox?
Old 12-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2018 1.5L gas Equinox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireairdrop View Post
Iím looking for my first toad and the Equinox AWD would fit the need and my NE location. The other would be a Jeep Cherokee. Both have notice of the wobble because of the electric steering. Which most cars will have shortly. Do you folks have the AWD version?

This is out of the 2019 OM.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0607.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	227703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0608.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	227704Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0609.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	227705Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0610.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	227706Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	227707
The 2018 is PROBABLY the same? I donít know if there was a diesel in the 2018 model yr?
Old 12-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #14

The 2018 manual states that the FWD 1.5L gas and 1.6L diesel and AWD 1.6L diesel models are the only ones that can be flat towed.

Tags
gas