RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
2018/19 Jeep Wrangler JL Toad Wiring Kits Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
I used the CoolTech JL Tow Harness Kit and it is working great. Here are a few links:

FLSteve

https://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler...rness-kit.html

Steve,

Any other switches/replays needed?

I can't find any online installation instructions, how was the install?

I really liked the Hopkins plug and play on my JK, wish they had theirs out

Thx,

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
So confused: I just spoke to Blue Ox and was told the kit below is all I need, no other switches/replys etc. They said they have installed them on the LED lighting system with no problems.....???

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...Ox/BX8848.html

Steve

Old 07-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
That kit looks like it requires splicing into the existing harness - using diodes as isolation devices for two signal paths. It should work. Some folks don't like splicing into harness and prefer the wiring kit with plugs etc.

I'm weeks out from doing our 2018 Sport S Unlimited. Hopefully I can learn from you and others. My main hold back is lack of a air conditioned work shop with lift. It's been brutal hot lately
tarheel21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #18

To the best of my knowledge, there are two kits that are made specific for the new 2018+ Wrangler JL. This is the OEM kit and the Cool Tech kit. The OEM kit is the priciest kit and also is allegedly the most time consuming to install. The Cool Tech kit has you cut 4 OEM wires yielding 8 wire "ends". The harness has 8 wires with pre-installed and heat-shrunk oem-like butt connectors to connect to these 8 wires. The kit also comes with a cast HD 4-pin connector for the front of the Jeep. There's an install video here: https://youtu.be/U1nfTbHuf4Y

In addition to these two JL-specific harnesses, it should be noted that the traditional "universal" tap & splice (diode) harness kits will also work on the new JL Wranglers. There has been some mis-information on here and other forums that maybe these kits won't work with the Jeep's LED lights, but this is NOT true. Specifically, the wiring for the new JL Wranglers is identical - whether equipped with standard lights or LED lights. Many people may not like these universal kits because the cut/splicing has to be done at the back of each rear light and often the quality of the connectors is not weatherproof or at OEM standards. However, these kits are often the least expensive and better connectors can be sourced.
nota4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there are two kits that are made specific for the new 2018+ Wrangler JL. This is the OEM kit and the Cool Tech kit. The OEM kit is the priciest kit and also is allegedly the most time consuming to install. The Cool Tech kit has you cut 4 OEM wires yielding 8 wire "ends". The harness has 8 wires with pre-installed and heat-shrunk oem-like butt connectors to connect to these 8 wires. The kit also comes with a cast HD 4-pin connector for the front of the Jeep. There's an install video here: https://youtu.be/U1nfTbHuf4Y

In addition to these two JL-specific harnesses, it should be noted that the traditional "universal" tap & splice (diode) harness kits will also work on the new JL Wranglers. There has been some mis-information on here and other forums that maybe these kits won't work with the Jeep's LED lights, but this is NOT true. Specifically, the wiring for the new JL Wranglers is identical - whether equipped with standard lights or LED lights. Many people may not like these universal kits because the cut/splicing has to be done at the back of each rear light and often the quality of the connectors is not weatherproof or at OEM standards. However, these kits are often the least expensive and better connectors can be sourced.
I used the Cool-Tech unit and just watched the linked video for fun and it's right on the money as to what is required to install it. BTW … the unit works great.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Exactly what I was looking for!
If the diode kit is used is there a brake relay that needs to be used?

Thank You!

Steve
Old 07-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was told today that if any factory wire is cut I will lose my entire JL warranty, has anyone else heard of this?

Seems rather aggressive to me.

Steve
Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #22

Absurd and absolutely not true. The Wrangler is probably the most modified vehicle in the world and if this was true, a large percentage would no longer have a warranty. Consumer favored laws were passed many years ago and the responsibility of proving that a customer modification was a direct contribution to a failed part under warranty is the responsibility of the manufacturer - not the other way around. Admittedly, the OEMs can afford a lot more litigation than the typical consumer, but common sense is very often employed. If a Jeep owner taps into the headlight circuit to add some fog lights and the rear wheel falls off, the warranty item would be covered. Now, if the anomaly is that the light fuse keeps blowing, you're probably getting into a gray area.

But, back to the topic at hand. Think about how many after market trailer wiring harnesses and toad wiring harnesses are installed in Jeeps in just the last decade. The aftermarket solutions (in combination) probably outnumber OEM harness by 20:1 or more. These owners would be revolting in masses if their warranty was canceled. Simply not true.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Absurd and absolutely not true. The Wrangler is probably the most modified vehicle in the world and if this was true, a large percentage would no longer have a warranty. Consumer favored laws were passed many years ago and the responsibility of proving that a customer modification was a direct contribution to a failed part under warranty is the responsibility of the manufacturer - not the other way around. Admittedly, the OEMs can afford a lot more litigation than the typical consumer, but common sense is very often employed. If a Jeep owner taps into the headlight circuit to add some fog lights and the rear wheel falls off, the warranty item would be covered. Now, if the anomaly is that the light fuse keeps blowing, you're probably getting into a gray area.

But, back to the topic at hand. Think about how many after market trailer wiring harnesses and toad wiring harnesses are installed in Jeeps in just the last decade. The aftermarket solutions (in combination) probably outnumber OEM harness by 20:1 or more. These owners would be revolting in masses if their warranty was canceled. Simply not true.
That was my thinking, a salesman at a dealership told me this. He was very convincing that he knew what he was talking about. Even told me to talk to the service department....maybe a dealership to run from.

Update: my cooltech harness should be here Monday

Steve
Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
cooltech instructions JK

I lost my instructions for my 18 JK Cooltech harness install, anyone have one to post or send me, cooltech no response.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:00 AM   #25

I'm POSITIVE that if you send an email to Cooltech@gmail.com they'll send the instructions right out to you.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm POSITIVE that if you send an email to Cooltech@gmail.com they'll send the instructions right out to you.

I emailed CoolTech with a question 10 days ago, never heard back.

If you don't get them from CoolTech, my harness should be here in a day or two, I'll be happy to scan the instructions.

Steve
Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #27

StevL - you ordered a harness for a JL Wrangler and Travelwrench looking for instructions for a JK kit. There's a bad email link on Cool Tech's site but if you use the cooltechllc@gmail.com, I am positive that you will get a prompt answer.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
StevL - you ordered a harness for a JL Wrangler and Travelwrench looking for instructions for a JK kit. There's a bad email link on Cool Tech's site but if you use the cooltechllc@gmail.com, I am positive that you will get a prompt answer.
+1
I saw 18 and stopped reading.....thx!

Steve

Tags
toad, wiring