RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

2019 Ford Edge ST

Does anyone on this forum tow a 2019 Edge ST? I just had the baseplate and breaking system installed and the Ford Owners Manuals are a bit confusing. With the vehicle came a generic Edge OM and a supplement manual specifically for the ST. To further add to the confusion, there was a revision added for the OM regarding flat towing. Basically Ford states it is ok to flat tow the ST only. Start and run the vehicle for 5 mins before towing, manually pull a cord to disengage “P” for wheels to roll freely. Where I am confused is that one manual states to disconnect the negative battery cable and the other manual (ST specific) doesn’t. What is the correct answer? I tried to contact Ford customer service and the person I talked to didn’t know the answer.
Any information would be appreciated.

Tor
2017 Entegra Anthem 44B

737 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #2

Your better off if you disconnect it, had the same thing happen on a Chevy spark, then Chevy came out and said differently disconnect it. Do you have away to keep the steering wheel unlocked? That's the only thing to worry about. Some cars have to be key in and aux on.

gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Your better off if you disconnect it, had the same thing happen on a Chevy spark, then Chevy came out and said differently disconnect it. Do you have away to keep the steering wheel unlocked? That's the only thing to worry about. Some cars have to be key in and aux on.
I will probably just disconnect the battery. Neither manual mentions anything about the steering lock, so I tried it out by following the manual including disconnecting the battery, and the steering stayed unlocked. I was kind of hoping that I didn’t have to disconnect the battery since Ford placed it where the negative cable is very hard to reach
Old 03-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737 Driver View Post
Does anyone on this forum tow a 2019 Edge ST? I just had the baseplate and breaking system installed and the Ford Owners Manuals are a bit confusing. With the vehicle came a generic Edge OM and a supplement manual specifically for the ST. To further add to the confusion, there was a revision added for the OM regarding flat towing. Basically Ford states it is ok to flat tow the ST only. Start and run the vehicle for 5 mins before towing, manually pull a cord to disengage “P” for wheels to roll freely. Where I am confused is that one manual states to disconnect the negative battery cable and the other manual (ST specific) doesn’t. What is the correct answer? I tried to contact Ford customer service and the person I talked to didn’t know the answer.

Any information would be appreciated.

Tor

2017 Entegra Anthem 44B

I would go by the ST specific manual you mentioned.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737 Driver View Post
I will probably just disconnect the battery. Neither manual mentions anything about the steering lock, so I tried it out by following the manual including disconnecting the battery, and the steering stayed unlocked. I was kind of hoping that I didn’t have to disconnect the battery since Ford placed it where the negative cable is very hard to reach
I am wondering why they recommend to disconnect with the battery so inaccessible. What is on? Are you keyed or keyless - mine is keyless and I didn't see anything on but instructions told me to place in N and then press the button to turn off.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
I am wondering why they recommend to disconnect with the battery so inaccessible. What is on? Are you keyed or keyless - mine is keyless and I didn't see anything on but instructions told me to place in N and then press the button to turn off.

i imagine the disconnection of battery is to prevent it from running down.
seems they wander back and forth over the years about disconnecting or not on the edge
our 2012, with push button states to place car in N and leave accessory ON, the accessory shuts off after a few minutes and will re-engage if you open a door, as it enunciates to place car in P, on the IP .
i choose to run a 12 volt feed from the 6 pin wire off the cable connection to the 7 pin connection at the bus to use as a charge feed for the battery.

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #7

737 Driver,
We just purchased a used 2015 Edge, to have Blue Ox base plate installed tomorrow morning. We have been confused and nervous about the same questions. In asking a techs at two local Ford places regarding neg. battery disconnect instructions, they say maybe it has something to do with the transmission. Even in neutral it could have some electronics going on. Neither were sure, just said probably best to follow manual. In regard to access to negative they suggested a battery disconnect of some sort. I ask about just disconnecting positive, they said that would serve the same purpose, just have to be careful about sparks but really not a problem.
Of course not sure about the hassle of reprogramming of all info. after reconnecting battery.
Did you have any problems with base plate installation? Any wiring of the electrical plug?,etc. Any info. will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim and Lori
jlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlor View Post
737 Driver,
We just purchased a used 2015 Edge, to have Blue Ox base plate installed tomorrow morning. We have been confused and nervous about the same questions. In asking a techs at two local Ford places regarding neg. battery disconnect instructions, they say maybe it has something to do with the transmission. Even in neutral it could have some electronics going on. Neither were sure, just said probably best to follow manual. In regard to access to negative they suggested a battery disconnect of some sort. I ask about just disconnecting positive, they said that would serve the same purpose, just have to be careful about sparks but really not a problem.
Of course not sure about the hassle of reprogramming of all info. after reconnecting battery.
Did you have any problems with base plate installation? Any wiring of the electrical plug?,etc. Any info. will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim and Lori

i will add, 2015 may or may not have the EPAS steering. For some reason the EPAS in some vehicles freaks out if the vehicle is moving without the rest of the electronic sensor do not detect operations.

the car will kill all electric loads after 15 minutes, so disconnecting seems mute.

ours has old rack and pinion hyd pumped steering,

but i set the push button to accessory mode to allow me to ensure the car knows its in N. then shut the doors, if you watch through the window, in a few minutes the dash goes blank until you re open the door and it lets you know its not in P with the annoying ding ding

my book says nothing about battery plugged in or unplugged.

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The ST is different, consult owners guide supplement!
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
737 Driver,
Thanks,
Jim and Lori
Here is an update on towing our 2019 Edge ST. We set out on a trip a few days ago and have now towed the ST approximately 650 miles. It has towed great and this is the procedure we have followed. Before towing, run the engine for 5 minutes. Set the parking brake. (Electric parking brake) Disconnect the “Park” feature bu pulling and latching the manual release cable. The vehicle may roll on you unless the Parking Brake is set. Confirm that the “Park” is disconnected with a message on the dash and that the “P” on the transmission knob is blinking. With the vehicle hooked up to the Motorhomes, release the parking brake. Disconnect the battery. Now the vehicle is ready to tow for 6 hours. If towing for more than 6 hrs, repeat the above procedure.

I installed a battery quick disconnect switch I purchased from Amazon for around $10.00. Hook up a couple of battery cables to the switch and it is quick and easy to shut off all power to the vehicle. I connected the disconnect switch to the positive battery cable since there is no room around the negative cable.
I didn’t even loose any of the radio pre set stations or the seat and mirror positions.

Ford’s manuals are confusing. The latest revision from Ford in the towing guide doesn’t state anything about disconnecting the battery cable on the 2019 Edge ST but the owners manual did. I tried it without disconnecting the battery, but the electric parking brake would automatically come on after a short time. Not sure why.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

Batter disconnect 2019 Ford Edge ST

Can you send photo of battery disconnect installed in Ford Edge ST
blmiller92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2015 titanium. Rather than the disconnect I installed a toad charger. http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html . At the time new, it was the only model towable 4 down.
Hook the car up. Shift to neutral, foot off brake and push the button to shut the engine off. This leaves only necessary things powered and the charger keeps the battery up. Towed thousands of miles and never a problem.
A word of caution, the chargers put out a minimum to keep the battery charged. If you keep your foot on the brake and shut the car off as you normally would then press the button to put the car in accessory mode the battery will run down. The car is powering more stuff this way and the charger can't keep up.
Quote:
737 Driver,
Thanks,
Jim and Lori
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi,
I just bought my first RV and own a Ford Edge ST 2019 that I bought specifically because of the flat towing capability. I just had everything installed on the car to flat tow it (base plate, air brake system that uses the car brakes, electric connection that also charges the battery). Due to the electric connection there's no need to disconnect the battery.
When testing it the first time I drove it for about 0.5 miles and parked the RV with the Edge behind it. Nobody touched the car and it was locked. About 30 minutes when I started the RV and drove off the parking brake of the Edge had come back on. The second time I flat towed it after turning back to normal the car lit up every warning and I lost all electronic aids (no cruise control, collision warning, hill assist start,...) and the car had to be reset by Ford. So far nobody has been able to explain why that happened.

The process we follow is:
1. Start Engine, switch to neutral, press “S” button to stay in Neutral. Turn off engine.
2. Fully apply the brake pedal and hold. Do not release. Pull the orange tether outward towards the driver seat.
3. Switch the ignition on, but do not start your vehicle. Move the tether to the lower right-hand corner to lock it into the override position. If done correctly, a message on the instrument cluster displays Park Not Available, Transmission Not In Park or Shift System Fault. The vehicle is now out of the park(P) position and is free to roll.
4. With your foot still fully applied on the brake pedal, disengage the parking brake.
5. Switch off the ignition.

It's unclear to me whether the switch needs to stay in "N" or "P". The manual states ""Your vehicle remains in neutral (N) for emergency towing purposes." but doesn't mention anything about recreational towing.

Anybody else have similar problems with the 2019 Ford Edge ST? I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Marc
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40E
2019 Ford Edge ST
Hotellounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have that model but I would think you need to stay in neutral so the wheels roll. Also there is some mention of sufficient battery charge needed. Is your battery going low and it is switching to park? On mine I had to add an LSL towed charger or I ended up with a dead battery.

tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford