Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

2019 Grand Cherokee

Greetings,
Is anyone out there towing a 2019 Grand Cherokee ?
Blue Ox has not released the base plate, however we are trying to determine if the 2018 base plate will fit.
Also has anyone heard of any "wobbling " issue with the 2018 or 2019 model Grand Cherokee . If so, does anyone know if the electric assist steering causes the wobble and if any modifications need to be installed on the vehicle.

We found a 2019 we like , however there is not much data the effects
of flat towing has on the vehicle. Heading south soon and trying to do my research before purchasing.

Regards!
goldcreekrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There was not major changes for 2019 so the same Same Blue Ox baseplate for the 2018 should fit the 2019.

Looked at Roadmaster and the part numbers are the same for the 2018 and 2019, not sure why Blue Ox does not show the 2019's.

Some have experienced the wobble in the GC after 2016 but not all.

Same could be said for many other vehicles with the electronic steering.

So far have towed our 2018 GC over 10K with no wobble.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

The death wobble is all about your car battery going dead. Install a charging wire for the toad. Look in your manual to see if you need the toad wiring harness. My 2018 states in the manual that it is required for flat towing.
2covesover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the Grand Cherokee and had the wobble twice and our battery wasn't dead.
There isn't a "Harness" for the Grand Cherokee but there is one for the NON-Grand Cherokee. IF you read the thread one person tried to put the Cherokee harness on a Grand Cherokee and would not fitting and Jeep confirmed it.

The Manual on Grand Cherokee does not mention a "Harness" and the plain Cherokee does mention a need for a "Harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2covesover View Post
The death wobble is all about your car battery going dead. Install a charging wire for the toad. Look in your manual to see if you need the toad wiring harness. My 2018 states in the manual that it is required for flat towing.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Dodge Durango are the same basic vehicle. We have some forum members towing the Durango. Some have had the wobble and others have not.
I'll email them and ask.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #6

2019 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2covesover View Post

I believe that your statement is correct if it refers to the smaller Cherokee but the OP is asking about the larger Grand Cherokee model.

For the OP, yes the EPS was added to the GC starting with the 2016 model year and there are about 40 reports of the wobble situation. Some have reported it within the first 1000 miles whereas other didn’t experience it until about 15K mikes. Others have never had the problem. If it does happen, you will need to know how to handle the situation. Come to a complete stop as soon as possible and then you can proceed. Some of the more experienced wobble owners don’t even get out the RV because they are assuming that it’s just the wobble and will disappear immediately.

CWSWine is correct that a harness is not available for the GC and as of today, Jeep / FCA will not acknowledge the problem. There have been reports - by me - that jeep is working in 2 possible solutions but the latest report from FMCA is that Jeep is not actively doing anything.

Enjoy the GC but be educated if the wobble happens to you.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #7

We have had 2 2018 Durango in the last 6 months set up for towing all 4 wheels down. The first was totaled in a hail storm in Aug. in Colorado Springs. The second has adaptive cruise control which Roadmaster set up for the different base plate. Roadmaster was great to work with an Glenda at ext. 104 can give you all the information about different choices. Towed first Durango 10K miles without any issues. From my readings it is important not to have any looseness in your tow bar.
Newmar man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2019 Grand Cherokee on order and have contacted Roadmaster about the baseplate being the same as the 2018. They told me they are trying to verify and will contact me when they have an answer. I have visually compared my 2014 to a 2019 and as far as I can see they will be the same.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The main key to flat towing and keeping the Death Wobble away is NOT having any movement in the Tow setup and making sure that when your MH is at travel height it does not lift the front end of the TOAD.
Basically extend the Tow bar out as if you are hooked up to the TOAD. Not attempt to make it clunk/move or whatever up and down and side to side. If it does clunk or sway of move then you need to add a Quiet Hitch to your setup, maybe even 2 if you are using a drop hitch. This is simple physics here, once a sway starts at one end it will continue to get bigger and bigger until you stop the sway action. The movement of the Tow bar in the Receiver just get worse as you drive and then sends that same movement to the Toad which attempts to counter act it but can't, Death Wobble.
The other things is that a lot of you with DP's don't take into account that your MH ride height is different than when you are just sitting there not running. Most Tow bar setups are done up with the air bags deflated, not on purpose but we forget they have to air up.
This is an easy check, measure the distance from the ground to a fixed point on the front bumper of your TOAD prior to hookup, then hook it up and make sure the MH is ready for travel, air bags up, and re-measure the TOAD at the same point. If the number got larger then you are lifting the front end of the TOAD, thus Death Wobble. Keep that connection point at or near level with NO lift and you are good.
NO Death Wobble here in all types of situations
I'm just saying, keeping it real. Been doing it with this Jeep since 2014 new.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #10

SuperGewl. You’re fortunate to have an older 2014 CG because anything from 2015 and back will have the hydraulic steering system and there have been zero reports of the problem.

The wobble started during the 2016 model year when Jeep / FCA decided to incorporate the Electronic Power Steering into the GC.

Yes, owners should be diligent on the condition of their tow equipment but there is a lot more to this. It’s an engineering design problem which Jeep has not admitted.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
SuperGewl. You’re fortunate to have an older 2014 CG because anything from 2015 and back will have the hydraulic steering system and there have been zero reports of the problem.

The wobble started during the 2016 model year when Jeep / FCA decided to incorporate the Electronic Power Steering into the GC.

Yes, owners should be diligent on the condition of their tow equipment but there is a lot more to this. It’s an engineering design problem which Jeep has not admitted.
SuperGewl actually has a 2014 Cherokee (KL) that FCA engineers have determined needs the tow wiring harness to activate the EPS so the vehicle can be safely towed.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #12

BobGed. I saw the thread topic as a 2019 GC and missed the Cherokee statement. It was a little confusing.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
BobGed. I saw the thread topic as a 2019 GC and missed the Cherokee statement. It was a little confusing.
I understand. These Cherokee/Grand Cherokee threads seem to easily get cross contaminated.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

NO NO and NO. This is a 2014 Jeep Cherokee and it has the EPS. This is the NEW Cherokee, car based so I don't think so.
The Wobble started with 2014 EPS and not only does it effect FCA but ALL mfgs with EPS's. Look thru the threads and you will find GMC and others have the same issue.