Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #15

Tow Dolly width

I can’t help with the towability question, but be VERY detailed and selective in your choice of two dolly. I bought a MasterTow Model 80THD (their widest model) to tow my 2007 Odyssey, which may be narrower than the 2011+, and it did NOT work. Even though the trailer store professionals and Master Tow specs said it would work, it did not and I have the fender dents to prove it (on both sides so I know it wasn’t my incorrect loading). Returned the dolly and trailer store called MasterTow, who admitted that minivans don’t work on any of their products. If you anyone knows of one that does. Please report back.
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiman View Post
Well I am wanting to tow my '18 Odyssey with a tow dolly and have been trying to figure this out also.
I'm still toying with this idea as well.

I've come to realize that many users on this forum are trolls (with unbelievable keyboard courage and void of individual thought), so I've resorted to other forums (Honda, Jayco, etc.). I've seen them run off many newcomers with their unhelpful vitriol, so I just let them have at it.

I did order an ACME Tow Dolly, and the 2019 Odyssey does fit on it (albeit VERY snuggly... there is not much margin... maybe 3/4" on each side). Since it does not have swiveling bases, the fender clearance is not an issue.

I'll keep checking back for any updates that you might have or discover.

Safe travels!
JDPEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
I can’t help with the towability question, but be VERY detailed and selective in your choice of two dolly. I bought a MasterTow Model 80THD (their widest model) to tow my 2007 Odyssey, which may be narrower than the 2011+, and it did NOT work. Even though the trailer store professionals and Master Tow specs said it would work, it did not and I have the fender dents to prove it (on both sides so I know it wasn’t my incorrect loading). Returned the dolly and trailer store called MasterTow, who admitted that minivans don’t work on any of their products. If you anyone knows of one that does. Please report back.
You need an ACME.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post
I'm still toying with this idea as well.

I've come to realize that many users on this forum are trolls (with unbelievable keyboard courage and void of individual thought), so I've resorted to other forums (Honda, Jayco, etc.). I've seen them run off many newcomers with their unhelpful vitriol, so I just let them have at it.

I did order an ACME Tow Dolly, and the 2019 Odyssey does fit on it (albeit VERY snuggly... there is not much margin... maybe 3/4" on each side). Since it does not have swiveling bases, the fender clearance is not an issue.

I'll keep checking back for any updates that you might have or discover.

Safe travels!
I use the ACME on the Town & Country, it’s worked very well so far.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:04 AM   #19

JDPEagle, I am very glad to hear that the Odyssey will fit on the Acme. Have you towed it yet? Did you have any issues with the Odyssey? I called UHaul to see about renting a dolly to make sure there were not problems with the Odyssey on a tow dolly.

Thanks,
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
Previously I had a MasterTow and was towing 2 different Toyota Sienna' and I had the same issue with the fenders hitting the car. That is one reason that I like the idea of the Acme. I am assuming that the Acme will move close to the car when the wheels turn but if the dolly tire size fits in the wheel well it may not be a problem.

Thanks,
Old 06-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are towing a 2016 Odyssey on an American Car Dolly. Works great. the 9 foot model has a good 2 inches on each side and can handle the almost 5000lbs of the vehicle. I also have a 2018 Honda Clarity and the manual says Not Designed for RV dolly towing. I've asked around with some friends at a local Honda manufacturing facility and general thought is related to the fact that steering wheel doesn't lock so when you turn you might damage the side. There was some discussion about the electric parking brake activating on it's own by accident as another reason not to tow. The 2 work arounds were to pull the parking brake activator fuse and to tie the steering wheel with a ratchet strap to the driver seat base and then at 3 and 9 on the wheel. The Clarity has one other unique issue with it's 5 point rear suspension and low clearance so we are just dragging around the minivan for now.
Cowgomooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #22

Cool Has this been done?

I'm about to travel and attempt to pull my 2019 Odyssey by placing it on a dolly. According to the REMCO site it, "Must be towed on a tow dolly. Please confirm in owner's manual."

The owners manual, as previously mentioned in previous posts in this thread, states that it is not capable of being towed on a dolly...

I'm just curious if anyone has done this yet and can verify that it is fine to do, or not. Anyone?

If I don't hear back, I'll let you know how bad it messed up my van -- or didn't.
gw102309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gw102309 View Post
I'm about to travel and attempt to pull my 2019 Odyssey by placing it on a dolly. According to the REMCO site it, "Must be towed on a tow dolly. Please confirm in owner's manual."

The owners manual, as previously mentioned in previous posts in this thread, states that it is not capable of being towed on a dolly...

I'm just curious if anyone has done this yet and can verify that it is fine to do, or not. Anyone?

If I don't hear back, I'll let you know how bad it messed up my van -- or didn't.
Welcome to the forum. I think the big question about your Honda,is it all wheel drive? Different honda but my CR-V is all wheel drive and I can tow it 4 down but not on a dolly. If your Odyssey is just front wheel drive I would go with what Remco sayes. They make their money knowing what is towable.
Keep us informed.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I think the big question about your Honda,is it all wheel drive?
No Honda Odyssey ever built has been all-wheel drive.

Quote:
If your Odyssey is just front wheel drive I would go with what Remco sayes. They make their money knowing what is towable.
Keep us informed.
The Remco site used to say that the 2019 Honda Odyssey was not towable with any wheels on the ground (remember referencing this before, Bill? You posted about it earlier on this same thread.):
Quote:
I checked the Remco site and they say no flat or dolly so I doubt you can make it towable. Most likely the transmision. Or corporate doesn't want posible problems.
Store : Remco
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by gw102309 View Post

The Remco site has inexplicably changed its position on the towability of this year/make/model. This makes me extremely suspicious of the site's "authority" on this subject (perhaps they simply assign their determination based on what parts they are currently selling/stocking).

I will continue to wait for someone with some first-hand experience on this subject. I'm still suspecting that it is simply a matter of ensuring EPB disengagement.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
At this point I would recommend you go find something towable and go camping.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #26

Quote:
At this point I would recommend you go find something towable and go camping.
Bill
At this point, I would recommend you stop trolling threads you have no meaningful contribution to, and go camping.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:47 PM   #27

Towing Odyssey

I got the Acme tow dolly and loaded the Odyssey on it for a test. All I did was drive around the parking lot. I drove for about 15 min and got it up to just over 30 MPH. No problems noted. It just fits on the dolly with only a little room to spare. I loaded it and turned off the car just like normal but I did not lock it with the remote.

The next step will be a hooking it to the RV for a trip, maybe in a few weeks. I will report back if there are any issues after a 500 mile trip.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #28

This sounds quite promising, and I'm looking forward to your report back.

In my "garage" testing, I have not found an instance where the EPB would self-engage. If your trial did not indicate such a scenario @ 30 MPH, then I'd say it is looking very good.

Safe travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiman View Post
I got the Acme tow dolly and loaded the Odyssey on it for a test. All I did was drive around the parking lot. I drove for about 15 min and got it up to just over 30 MPH. No problems noted. It just fits on the dolly with only a little room to spare. I loaded it and turned off the car just like normal but I did not lock it with the remote.

The next step will be a hooking it to the RV for a trip, maybe in a few weeks. I will report back if there are any issues after a 500 mile trip.

Tags
dolly, honda