Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

2019 Trailhawk

We have been looking for a new 2019 SUV toad and have looked at several. We are looking for something with 4WD with some ground clearance and want to keep it under 5000 lbs. The pool of units to pick from gets small quickly when looking at ground clearance. The Fords (Edge and Explorer) have about 5.7 inches of ground clearance and no skid plates. The lighter weight Chevy’s are 2WD with low clearance. Not really interested in the Wrangler’s since this will eventually be my DW primary vehicle. That leads us to the Cherokee Trailhawk which we both really like but our research does show some issues, (we did notice some hesitation when shifting from 1st to 2nd on occasion). We plan on getting the V6 to avoid oil consumption and shutdown issues associated with the 2.4L I4.

I have read all the previous post I could on this forum about the Trailhawk which talks mostly about towing set-up. I am good with all of that. Looking for any new information on how it tows and the performance of the vehicle in in general. Jeep has made some recalls to address some things but curious to know if there are still some lingering transmission or electrical gremlins that keep popping up.

Also, If there is a flat towable 4WD automatic SUV that’s under 5000#s that has more than 8+ inches on ground clearance that I missed please enlighten me.

Thanks
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:34 PM   #2

New owner of a 2019 Trailhawk 2.0L turbo here. Traded our 2017 Limited 3.2L in on this one. Night and day transmission, guessing better software? Love the additional ground clearance and tighter suspension. Got an Elite edition, so plenty of new toys too!
sthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #3

I have been looking at the Cherokee TrailHawk and my wife really likes it. Do you know what the actual weight is? I ran a 2-19 Jeep 2 door Rubicon over a scale the other day and it was quite a bit heavier than what I expected but that may have been because it was a Rubicon.
MorrieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk a few months back and we love it. Elite package is definitely worth considering. Drives and tows great. No death-wobble issues with the 2019. The baseplate arms replace the red tow hooks so the grill doesn't need major cutting. Our Roadmaster Nighthawk is very easy to attach and remove. Air Force One installed for braking.

While the ability to put the car into neutral was one of the reasons we chose the Jeep, there is a LONG list of steps to put it in neutral and take it out again. If you don’t follow the exact sequence or miss a step, nothing happens. I keep a list of the steps on a laminated card in the glove box.

The Cherokee attached to our motorhome weighs 4,440 pounds.
gmalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just bought a new 2019 Cherokee Lattitude Plus. Love it, tows well for 5k miles so far no issues. Be sure anything you buy has the Active II drive which is the real 4WD with a transfer case that can be put in neutral. Nothing else is towable all four down.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #6

Thanks for the input. We plan to purchase this week if all goes well. Maybe I’ll turn my old Liberty into a play toy if I don’t sell it. I guess Jeep has a lock on the small light weight 4WD SUV’s that can be flat towed. At least ones with any ground clearance and skid plates. All the others just seamed to be modern day commuters and station wagons. Not really suited for going off the beaten path.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Funny timing on this thread. Just yesterday we were out shopping for a 2019 Trail hawk. We liked it and in fact have the dealer looking for a model equipped the way we want it. Hope to have our new toad in a couple of weeks.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

Without getting into a big debate on the merits, I wanted to mention that Jeep offers multiple levels of extended warranties, including one that is basically a lifetime non-transferable deal that covers just about everything in the vehicle. Better yet jeep prices these extended warranties to make it appealing to owners of the upper tier trim levels, as they are priced the same for base level Latitudes as they are for Trailhawks and Overlands.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Without getting into a big debate on the merits, I wanted to mention that Jeep offers multiple levels of extended warranties, including one that is basically a lifetime non-transferable deal that covers just about everything in the vehicle. Better yet jeep prices these extended warranties to make it appealing to owners of the upper tier trim levels, as they are priced the same for base level Latitudes as they are for Trailhawks and Overlands.
Jeep offers extended warranties but discontinued the lifetime warranty recently.....I have a lifetime on my 2014 Trailhawk and have already broke even on it, worth every penny! And, they are transferable in some states that require it by law if I remember right
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #10

Thanks Isaac-1. Good info on the warranty.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalmberg View Post
Bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk a few months back and we love it. Elite package is definitely worth considering. Drives and tows great. No death-wobble issues with the 2019. The baseplate arms replace the red tow hooks so the grill doesn't need major cutting. Our Roadmaster Nighthawk is very easy to attach and remove. Air Force One installed for braking.

While the ability to put the car into neutral was one of the reasons we chose the Jeep, there is a LONG list of steps to put it in neutral and take it out again. If you don’t follow the exact sequence or miss a step, nothing happens. I keep a list of the steps on a laminated card in the glove box.

The Cherokee attached to our motorhome weighs 4,440 pounds.
Great info on the weight. 4,440 pounds is a little heavier than I thought it would be that is almost the same weight of the Rubicon that i weighted. I wonder what a Jeep Wrangler 2 door sport will weigh? I imagine a few pounds less than the Cherokee.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #12

Oddly, the brochure doesn't even list it. Judging from the 2.4L, I'd guess 4000#. Heavier than it looks...
sthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:14 AM   #13

Here is a web site that indicates curb weight for a 2019 Cherokee Elite Trailhawk (V6) is 4250:

https://www.thecarconnection.com/spe...hawk-elite-4x4

By the time you add base plates, supplemental braking should put you close to or at the 4,400 previously posted.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Here is a web site that indicates curb weight for a 2019 Cherokee Elite Trailhawk (V6) is 4250:

https://www.thecarconnection.com/spe...hawk-elite-4x4

By the time you add base plates, supplemental braking should put you close to or at the 4,400 previously posted.
Great info. I wonder if the curb weights are with the fluids in them? That alone would add weight.