Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #57

Sorry guys,

After all I put you through I decided to travel 4 down with a Blue Ox and an Evan breaking system I'm buying from a friend. I have a vehicle that's a 4 WD that I didn't plan to tow but decided I'll use it anyway!

The best laid plans of mice and men right! Thank you all for your help and direction, it's very much appreciated!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #58

Acme tow dolly

This is our second year with the Acme. Surge disc brakes, sealed oiled bearings, 10 ply tires, led lights. We haul a mini cooper. Very low to the ground. Removable ramps assure that rocker panels can't be damaged if going over a sharp crown driveway entrance or similar situation. Pulls very well. Even read that brake pads can be changed without removing wheel or fender. Haven't really checked it out. Would recommend.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It depends on your toad and whether the steering locks or not. Our 2WD Jeep Cherokee has a steering wheel that locks when the key is off so we wanted either a rotating pan dolly or one with wheels that steer. If your steering wheel doesn't lock, those dollies will require you to find some way to keep the steering locked while you're towing. We also had a brake controller in our coach so buying a dolly with electric brakes was a no brainer. Surge brakes are fine for no muss no fuss towing, but electric brakes are superior if a little more trouble to set up initially.

We have a Stehl dealer close by and a Master Tow dealer slightly further away. I went to buy a Stehl, but that dealer doesn't stock dollies with electric brakes and wasn't interested in ordering one. The Master Tow dealer had plenty of both and I ended up paying $1175 for one with electric brakes.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Sorry guys,

After all I put you through I decided to travel 4 down with a Blue Ox and an Evan breaking system I'm buying from a friend. I have a vehicle that's a 4 WD that I didn't plan to tow but decided I'll use it anyway!

The best laid plans of mice and men right! Thank you all for your help and direction, it's very much appreciated!
I think you'll be happier with that decision. After towing with a dolly for one year, we've decided to go 4 down also. I sold our 2WD pickup and replaced it with a 4X4 capable of being towed flat. It's more expensive to set it up initially, but should be a better towing experience over all.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #61

Being the OP started with humor I trust humor is allowed on this thread.
Go 4 down.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #62

Hey computerguy, Some would question the humor part because It's obvious that some were weaned on a Gherkin! Your post is appreciated however and the humor statement applauded!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
I guess the real reason for not towing 4 down is you wanted to spend more money and have another piece of equipment to worry about!
Hmmm, My research says just the opposite on the cost. All in on a dolly should come in at around $2300 to $2500. Rigging a car for 4 down looks to be in the $3000 to $4000 range assuming you have a vehicle that can be towed 4 down. Plus, if you don't already have a proper vehicle like me, there is the cost of a different vehicle. Not to mention, if you ever want to trade in your toad, you have to go through the rigging expense again.
Just sayin'
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Hmmm, My research says just the opposite on the cost. All in on a dolly should come in at around $2300 to $2500. Rigging a car for 4 down looks to be in the $3000 to $4000 range assuming you have a vehicle that can be towed 4 down. Plus, if you don't already have a proper vehicle like me, there is the cost of a different vehicle. Not to mention, if you ever want to trade in your toad, you have to go through the rigging expense again.
Just sayin'
Thats exactly the way I had figured it too. Seems much more expensive to flat tow to me.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #65

And if you need to purchase a 4WD to four down it's another $2,000.00.

My 4 down numbers looked like this.

$1000 for towbar and baseplate
$250 to have baseplate installed
$1200 for bake system
$2450 TOTAL --- Did I miss anything?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #66

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
How about brake and running lights on the toad?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #67

The shop said they would hook that up through the 7pin system for the same $250.00 for the baseplate.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have a friend who is having his ford Explorer rigged for 4 down. He has already paid $3500 he still has to get a drop down receiver and ball which will be close to another $100. Can someone explain how 4 down is less expensive than a dolly? What am I missing?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Now For The Right Dolly: I’m looking for a dolly with a surge brake and known for quality of product. ACME immediately comes to mind as does STEHL and MASTER TOW and I know there are others?
Harry, No experience with tow dollies however the folks at Acme have been very nice to us over the past few years donating tow dollies for our International Rally.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #70

I agree with Larry, what are we missing?

Tags
dolly, tow