Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
If you are just towing a std vehicle, then as a toad it is best. If it is a specialty vehicle, or can't be towed 4 down, then a trailer makes it your best solution. I do not like a dolly for any reasons.

Since most of my towing is a car trailer with one of my old hot rods, the trailer is my choice.

2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by diva51 View Post
If I read the road regulations correctly, tow dollies are not allowed on the NJ Turnpike. Maybe you will not need to use that turnpike, but are there such restrictions in other states? We tow 4 down.
The NJ Turnpike is easily avoided by the use of FREE I-295. Not sure of other Interstates, Toll roads, or Turnpikes with similar restrictions, I'm sure there are some limits to length, trailers of any sort, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
4 down is the best way to go for most. But, that assumes you are towing the same vehicle all the time and that you don't change vehicles often. It can cost up to $3000 to configure a vehicle for towing 4 down so you don't want to be doing that often. If you want more flexibility, a tow dolly will be a good solution but it definitely comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Dead last in my opinion, and only for cars that cannot be towed with a dolly, is a 4 UP trailer. Good luck finding a place to put that thing in many of our Nation's campgrounds. To recap, I think it is a simple choice. If you have a car you're keeping for more than a few years, configure it for and tow it four down. Otherwise, suck up the pain of a tow dolly and enjoy the flexibility. Your cost will be about the same either way.

Randy and Tina & pups; Cinnamon, Cookie & Coco
2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y
Freightliner / Cummins 340hp ISB, 2014 Ford Focus
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote