Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

Post 4 down towable 4 wheel drive pickups

I have been towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee for many years with no issues. I need to trade in this vehicle for a pickup in the future and am looking for information on 4 down towable pickups (preferably 4 wheel drive) that are towable with little or no restrictions. If anyone can advise where to find a listin such as this I wuld greatly approciate it!
ChildsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Motorhome Magazine publishes a list of towable vehicles every year - towable without modifications.

Here is a set of links to the last several years of Dinghy Towing Guides
Towing Guides - Lichtsinn Motors - Forest City Iowa Dealer
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Yaj

Hi, and welcome!
I am pulling a 2004 Chevy Colorado 4X4 and it works great. I think almost any GM 4X4 pickup with the electronic transfer case that has a netural setting will work.

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Towing a 2006 Honda CR-V 4WD all four down, np.
The owner's manual says it is okay to tow with instructions on towing.

Number one rule b4 towing:
Always go from Drive to Neutral (then tow)
NEVER go from Reverse to Neutral before towing

Leave the steering wheel unlocked
(key on acc just so the steering wheel is unlocked)

Run the gears through selections with the motor running to lubricate the tranny b4 towing and do this every 6-8 hrs of towing.

Do not tow beyond 65 mph or severe tranny damage may occur. I think they mean consistant towing,, not just passing etc.

Side note on towing: Burning rubber smell in the toad after towing a few hundred miles. This is rubber picked off the pavement from the tow vehicle. The burning smell is from the hot exhaust burning off the road debris rubber that collected underneath the toad. No harm at all
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 04 Ford Ranger 4 x 4 ... five speed, straight shift tranny. Been towing it for about seven years now without a problem. It has a ''capp'' over the bed and it is a rolling basement/junk room/boat hauler thingie/extra stuff place and we take it virtually every where we go. The down side is that it only hauls 2 people comfortably. It has ''jump seats'' in the back and this is an excellent place to haul luggage, puppies, beer, small children, your mother in law, and more ''stuff''.....
If you get one, put a ''capp'' on it and your mother in law can sleep in it when she goes camping with you........
Thank a veteran for your freedoms..... All gave some.....SOME GAVE ALL....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #6

I used to tow a Jeep GC 4WD
I now tow a Dodge Ram 3500 4WD Automatic w/electronic xfer case @ 7000 lbs
Xfer case in N, Tranny in P, Steering unlocked
I use SMI stayNplay brake system w/the trucks power booster brakes (ie no vacuum since it is diesel)
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #7

We tow a 2008 Ford Ranger 4x4 automatic,sometimes with harley in the bed. Its a standard cab with 7 ft box. Works good for us. Other times we tow a 2003 Honda CRV.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #8

Lists are mentioned above....we have an 08' GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax we load with 2 scooters and 2 bikes, 25k on the odometer plus 30k towed without any issues. Steering doesn't lock on this model, so transfer case in N, trans in P, keys out and doors locked.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote