Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I use a car hauler. My main reason was that we do some challenging offroad with the jeep and I was a little concerned about towing 4 down if I broke an axle or something. I also use the trailer to haul a spare tire for the coach and some firewood. I can back up the trailer as much as I need to - try that 4 down. With that said, it is obvious which method most prefer...it's towing the toad 4 down. While I'm still unhooking straps, my friends are already in their vehicle driving away! I still prefer the car hauler for my circumstances but when we start traveling and moving every couple of days flat towing is going to seem a whole lot better to me!

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
IMHO an open trailer will not protect your 'towed' any better than 4 down...

and honestly, once set up properly it's a no brainer to hook up and tow...

and with anything short of a horse of a diesel you will not get more than a 5000 lb towing capacity and your toad will be at or more than that - add in a trailer of say 2000 and your have lost your rv warranty for exceeding the ratings... if you get in a wreck with an overloaded rv, tush, tush

good luck on your decision...
JohnBoy... Thanx for your reply... My post is not related to "protecting" my toad at all. I do not argue the fact that the majority of folks pull their toads 4 down either. I just hear multitudes of stories about folks having issues with their toads from a mechanical/electrical standpoint.

My preference now is to tow my car/jeep on a trailer/car hauler to alleviate any/all issues with Tranny, Mechanical, Electrical, Front End Wear including Tires, etc... I do know that the price for that will be a bit more "hassle" for me in putting the car on/off the trailer and having to arrange to make sure I have a place to put the trailer at my site. I also plan on using some type of stone shield/guard to protect my towed vehicle.

I'm curious to hear about folks who are "trailering their Toads/Cars now" and what their experiences are/have been.
Thanx again.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We're not full-time yet, I chose an enclosed trailer so I'd have room for both my bike and her car. I also don't want to wash her car after every move.

On the few trips we've done so far, I've been able to find a place to park the trailer.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suggest renting (U-Haul or similar) for a car carrier to see if you like it...
...No need to "jump-in" to the expense unless committed to Flat-Towing.

We rented equipment 5 times (twice on a car carrier, 3 times on a tow dolly) to see what we wanted to do.

The car carrier was SO easy to use. And at about 1,200lb, a car carrier can carry most any car weighing less than 3,800lb behind the typical gas RV...no problem.

The car IS protected better than flat towing, being 2-4' off the road, free of rock strikes and most road grime. Plus, free of the obvious wear and tear on the car's lower driveline.

The car-carrier can be parked off-site at most often free areas in a campground...just ask the mgr.

Best luck

P.S. We opted for a dolly...so EZE to use and with over 15,000 miles on it, we never had a problem and the best part (just like a car carrier) there are no modifications to the car and swapping cars at will.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I have towed both trailer and 4 down. I used the trailer exclusively for over 9 years and still use it with my Wrangler when I take it off-roading. In the 12 years that I have been towing with a Motorhome I have used a gas and two diesel units. All towed the 16' open trailer just fine. The gas rig was slower in the mountains but it did just fine. I have done the 4-down thing in the last 5 years and find it only slightly less work. With my current DP I can't tell the difference when pulling the extra 1500# of the trailer. With my setup the overall length between the two methods is less than 1 inch so I still ask for the same length pull thru site at the RV park. I always call ahead for reservations and ask for a pull thru site long enough for everything. Only once was I asked to park the trailer elsewhere when there was room in the site. The initial cost between the two methods can be about the same, for me the trailer was slightly less than what I spent for the 4-down setup but trailer maintenance will eat that up.
I prefer using the trailer for all the benefits it provides but I normally do 4 down when towing my Jeep GC and I am unsure of where I will be staying.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I suggest renting (U-Haul or similar) for a car carrier to see if you like it...
...No need to "jump-in" to the expense unless committed to Flat-Towing.

We rented equipment 5 times (twice on a car carrier, 3 times on a tow dolly) to see what we wanted to do.

The car carrier was SO easy to use. And at about 1,200lb, a car carrier can carry most any car weighing less than 3,800lb behind the typical gas RV...no problem.

The car IS protected better than flat towing, being 2-4' off the road, free of rock strikes and most road grime. Plus, free of the obvious wear and tear on the car's lower driveline.

The car-carrier can be parked off-site at most often free areas in a campground...just ask the mgr.

Best luck

P.S. We opted for a dolly...so EZE to use and with over 15,000 miles on it, we never had a problem and the best part (just like a car carrier) there are no modifications to the car and swapping cars at will.
Awesome advice to rent a dolly first and see if you like it.
Dang, and I didn't even think about it.
Although I did try a rental trailer when I moved. I could not see myself getting those dirty tire covers on and off every time I moved and certainly would not see myself crawling under the dolly and car to attach those safety chains to the car frame.
I am happy with my 4 down decision.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #21

I've been thinking this same question. I have an open car trailer that ive had for 10 years now and have pulled cars on it , mainly drag race and show cars, all over fl and i've also pulled it to texas and back to get my vw bus but i was pulling it with my 2002 dodge 1500. I don't have trailer brakes either but it pulls great . can hardly tell its even there. I have pulled it with my 1995 28' winnebago with a 454 gas engine and it actually drives nicer with the trailer than with out it but electric brakes i would say are a must and i plan on doing that. My Winnebago already has the controler. One thing i would say is fabricate some tie down hooks for your car that you will be towing so that the straps are easy to get hooked and don't rub anywhere. I do this to the race cars at my shop. they are especially low so its a pain without them. I would even cut the excess off the straps so it is as easy as it can be. and use 4 straps incase one brakes there is always a second....had that happen once! but the strap was rubbing on something so ... my trailer is very low which is great for loading low cars but the prob is once the car is on you cant open the doors because the trailer fenders are in the way. on older cars and race cars this isnt much of a prob but on a newer car that you need the key on to put it in neutral, it might be a pain to get the key turned off plus it would b nice to be able to get inside to put it back in park so when our looking for a trailer , you might want to test fit your car. building or buying a shield for the front of the trailer would be nice just make sure it doesn't interfere with getting the straps on your car