Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
They make swing down jack stands, permanently mounted to the back of the trailer that allow you to off-load the trailer while disconnected. You could also use portable ones, as I have done many times.
Or go to your local junkyard & get a pair of jacks out of a car. I have 2 $5 a piece scissor jacks to support the back of my little 14' enclosed trailer that holds my old Fiat.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post

I also saw a really nice small aluminum trailer with a Wrangler on it in another post on here. Checked on their price and they were around $8000, so you would have to use it a lot to justify the cost or get a good used one.
We all travel.... Look into picking up your trailer at the manufacturer. I went to my local dealer here in nj. Was quoted $8800 for my spec'd 24'x8.5' enclosed. Found out I can get the same trailer for $4800 if I pick it up at manufacturer (in Ga). Guess where I'm stopping on my way home from the Fla Keys this fall! I'm looking at
Wagonmaster Trailers : Welcome to Wagonmaster Trailers!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #17

I have always "toad" 4 wheels down. I have an Allegro 32BA and my first toad was an '05 Chevy Cobalt. My latest toad is a 2012 Jeep Patriot. My main reason for towing 4 wheels down is that it literally takes me 2 minutes to hook up or disconnect. Don't have to worry about another vehicle and I can get down to campin', crusin', or tourismin' (is that a word?) that much sooner.
thilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Parking the trailer can be a real pain sometimes but keeping your special toys protected is also a concern for some of us.We tow a 24×8.5 enclosed with two motorcycles, two bikecycles, one sportscar a sewing machine and various other things that you usually find in a garage or workshop.
grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I really can't add much to what has already been provided to you, but I would like to mention something about pull-through sites. We have found that the majority of them do not provide much more space than would allow our previous 36' mh and toad to park while hitched. And sometimes, we had to pull so far forward in order to get the toad on the site, that the utilities were too far away for us to reach. Now that we have a 42' mh, we have found several pull through sites that we had to disconnect the toad and park it beside the mh or sideways in front/back of the mh.

When traveling, we typically do not disconnect our toad unless we plan on going out for dinner, so we almost always request a pull through.

Having a 20' car hauler might present some unexpected problems for you when staying at these rv parks with limited sized pull throughs.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks to all for the info, very informative

Very interesting outlooks from both directions. The MH is the Berkshire 400BH with the 360.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
Besides storing a trailer at a CG, what are the negatives of a car trailer for the toad vs 4 down? In looking at a couple of things; besides the costs of purchasing a car or jeep that can go 4 down there is the cost of the lights, hitch and brake system + installation. I can by a new open side trailer for 3K, but so many seem pro 4 down for the toad that I am unsure of which way to go.

I know it will be a pain to store at the camp ground, just not sure how much of a pain.

The trailer on the other hand in more flexible in that the car can tow it and the MH can back it up. I also have the option of towing different cars.

Really appreciate any pros and cons.

best regards,

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Traveling around the US with a 20ft trailer with a 4Runner and a Harley on it we only found one park that we had to unhook for. That being said Thom likes to make sure things are really tied down. He would spend at least 4 hours loading and tying things down. I am so glad that we are now setting up the new Fiat for 4 down towing .... a lot less time to get ready to go.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
To me it's kind of like the question like which is better Ford, Chevy or Dodge for pulling a trailer - or is a trailer better than a motorhome - or a Harley or a Gold Wing. The pros and cons are different based on personal opinions mixed with experience. I have an enclosed car carrier but both my current vehicles are set up to be towed four down. The enclosed car carrier allows me to securely carry more good "stuff". I think it a personal call as to what is best for you.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #23

We have a 37 foot Tiffin on a 26,000 lb frame with the V-10 Triton engine. We presently pull our 09 Honda CRV 4 down with no issues at all, but I have to change the game again as we have a 2009 Vette sitting at home up north as we spend the winter in the south. Spent a fortune on a new security system for the house and garage so I can sleep nights. I am going to look seriously at aluminum enclosed car trailers for the vette so she will be with us in the future. Comments!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay37QSB View Post
Spent a fortune on a new security system for the house and garage so I can sleep nights. I am going to look seriously at aluminum enclosed car trailers for the vette so she will be with us in the future. Comments!
Be prepared to spend another fortune. ATC and Featherlite aluminum enclosed's start around $20K and only go up.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I have been towing a open car trailer for over 9 years and over 60,000 miles. With proper planning you can almost always fine a campsite that is long enough but you will need extensions for all your hookups. In that time I had to disconnect the trailer once. I also flat towed for the last two years so I am familiar with both. In my opinion I think the trailer pulls easier on flat ground and is overall easier to drive with. And I can backup and turn sharper. But it is another piece of equipment to maintain...
Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
With Towbar, ReadyBrake and lights I've got $1280 invested. I can be hooked up by myself and on the road in less than 7 minutes. It's up to each individual, but no trailers for me....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #27

You can get a new enclosed 24ft car hauler for as low as $6000 if you shop around. I will go this route because I will be taking a car and motorcycle on most of my travels plus the vehicles are protected from the weather.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, but they are bare bones, and they are NOT aluminum.