RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
4 Runner or Sequoia as toad

I cannot find this information despite a search or 2. Does anyone know the last year either of these Toyota’s can be flat towed? I believe any year would need an aftermarket lube pump and my dealer is happy to install one. I would use an Air Force breaking system and whichever base plate tow bar that would be available.

soundsuperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #2

I have owned both and they are great vehicles, no idea what years any of them can be flat towed.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #3

Do a search for remco towing. They’ll have a vehicle lookup that says what years can be towed and what needs a live pump. Maybe the previous generation 4Runners with manual transmissions can be, and earlier?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 PM   #4

Any 4x4 Toyota / Lexus product can be flat towed as long as it has a manual shift transfer case, the type of transmission makes no difference. IT MUST HAVE A MANUAL SHIFT TRANSFER CASE. There are current 4 Runner TRD Off Road models with a manual transfer case and automatic transmission that can be towed 4 down as is. I do not believe any Sequoia models ever came with a manual shift transfer case.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Any 4x4 Toyota / Lexus product can be flat towed as long as it has a manual shift transfer case, the type of transmission makes no difference. IT MUST HAVE A MANUAL SHIFT TRANSFER CASE. There are current 4 Runner TRD Off Road models with a manual transfer case and automatic transmission that can be towed 4 down as is. I do not believe any Sequoia models ever came with a manual shift transfer case.

This is 100% correct. I flat tow my 97 land cruiser. t-case in Neutral, trans in park.
s@ndm@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:21 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have towed my 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium with the manual transfer case shifter. No problems at all.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #7

my 98 4runner has an automatic transmission, and afaict, it is NOT flat towable with a drive shaft disconnect. It does have a manual shift transfer case. Putting that in neutral and then shifting the transmission into Park caused the truck to make a sound indicating it was not happy about that.

maybe it's different for a manual transmission, but you cannot just flat tow a 3rd gen 4runner.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
my 98 4runner has an automatic transmission, and afaict, it is NOT flat towable with a drive shaft disconnect. It does have a manual shift transfer case. Putting that in neutral and then shifting the transmission into Park caused the truck to make a sound indicating it was not happy about that.

maybe it's different for a manual transmission, but you cannot just flat tow a 3rd gen 4runner.
Hayduke,

If you are putting the automatic trans in neutral and then shifting the transfer case into neutral while the engine is running, you can not shift the automatic trans into park without shutting the engine off first. If you leave the engine running, you will grind the gears as the trans tries to engage the parking pawl.

95% of the time, I pull up to the back of the motorhome, hook up the tow bars, shut off the engine with the automatic trans if park, then shift the transfer case into neutral and I am done. If I have trouble getting the transfer case into neutral, then I might try it the other way, but then turn off the engine before putting the trans back into Park.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
Hayduke,

If you are putting the automatic trans in neutral and then shifting the transfer case into neutral while the engine is running, you can not shift the automatic trans into park without shutting the engine off first. If you leave the engine running, you will grind the gears as the trans tries to engage the parking pawl.

95% of the time, I pull up to the back of the motorhome, hook up the tow bars, shut off the engine with the automatic trans if park, then shift the transfer case into neutral and I am done. If I have trouble getting the transfer case into neutral, then I might try it the other way, but then turn off the engine before putting the trans back into Park.
I will try that. Hopefully I was just being dumb.
I've never moved the transfer case lever except in neutral. Might have got that from the owner's manual, but who knows lol

Just to make sure I understand, I don't need a driveshaft disconnect with my manual transfer case?

hmmm... I just had a thought. Maybe I don't have that. I have a seperate gear shift lever to the left of the automatic transmission gear selector. I assume that is a manual transfer case. It has H2, H4, N, and L4.

I must have had it running, or it could not have made noise. I'll report back after testing. I feel really bad if I gave out incorrect information.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Superior Driveline (who has some connection to Remco) said to me last week:

Quote:
...we can do any year 4 Runner, 2 wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive. We can not do the All Wheel Drive. You are safe to buy any year 2 or 4 wheel drive.
I need to call back to clarify that the 4Runners with an electronic drivetrain control (i.e. no neutral option) would still work since many 4Runners use the electronic transfer case control in later years except for the off-road trims.

I assume electronically setting 2WD will cause cause the 4Runner to act like a RWD truck and then the driveshaft to the rear gets disconnected. I need to call them back to hear their explanation.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
I have towed my 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium with the manual transfer case shifter. No problems at all.
Are you saying you don't manually disconnect/remove the driveshaft? Is it the case that the rear driveshaft doesn't spin at all with the manual transfer case shifter in neutral? Same for the front shaft?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #12

http://www.motorhome.com/submit-email-address/
Old 09-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinFL View Post
Are you saying you don't manually disconnect/remove the driveshaft? Is it the case that the rear driveshaft doesn't spin at all with the manual transfer case shifter in neutral? Same for the front shaft?
I do not use a driveshaft disconnect. If you have a knob or electric transfer case shifter, you must use a driveshaft disconnect as they do not have a true neutral setting. With a manual shift lever transfer case, in MY opinion, a driveshaft disconnect is not needed. Although you should know, that many say that even with a manual transfer case, that you MUST use a driveshaft disconnect. The reason is that the transfer case oil pump is not being driven while the transfer case is in neutral. It is driven from the front input shaft and does not spin with the engine off. However, the big drive chain that connects the front and rear driveshafts, is spinning in an oil bath and slinging a lot of oil everywhere, and there is absolutely no pressure on any of the gears as everything is freewheeling.

I took lllkRob's advice and tried it, and have towed over 4,000 miles so far with absolutely no issues. I always make sure to shift the transfer case into neutral with the key in the off position so that the front axle shafts do not connect. That keeps the front axle unlocked and eliminates any 4x4 crow hopping/binding in tight turns.

Yes, the front and rear driveshafts both spin while towing. I have stopped repeatedly while towing over 400 miles in a day to check the transfer case temps, and found no problems. Several people that I talked to have towed over 20,000 mile with no problems.

Your milage may vary!
Tad
Old 09-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinFL View Post
Superior Driveline (who has some connection to Remco) said to me last week:

I need to call back to clarify that the 4Runners with an electronic drivetrain control (i.e. no neutral option) would still work since many 4Runners use the electronic transfer case control in later years except for the off-road trims.

I assume electronically setting 2WD will cause cause the 4Runner to act like a RWD truck and then the driveshaft to the rear gets disconnected. I need to call them back to hear their explanation.

All the electronic transfer case 4Runners can be towed in 2 wheel drive with a driveshaft disconnect except the Limited that uses the full-time 4 wheel drive transfer case. In checking, the Limited model would need the driveshaft disconnect in the rear AND manual hubs added to the front axle to be towed.

Tags
toad