Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #1

4 Wheel vs. 2 wheel towing?

Can you please give me your opinion?

4 wheel towing?

2 wheel towing?

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Are you referring to pulling a toad , 4 down vs, using a tow dolly ?

My preference is 4 down; but depending on the toad, can be more costly to set up.
Ease of connect/ dis-connect was the main reason, I went 4 down.
Many other posts on the subject. in the " Toads & MH towing " section of the forums.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

4wheel down is my choice. I have towed couple of different vehicles and always was happy with the method. The cost is similar because with 4wheel down you need a tow bar, adaptor for the toad, brake system, but a good quality dolly with brakes ain't cheap either. Unless you park in pull thru's, you have the problem of first moving the dolly by hand and then where to put it on the site. Think it is your preference. No right answer.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Or do you mean a 4WD tow vehicle v/s a 2WD

The THEORY is that the 4wd is built stronger

I can neither confirm nor deny that (I truly do not know if it's true)

I do know that many 4wds have "Low range" that can make backing into a site easier.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have only 4 wheel down towed and bought a jeep liberty and so far I don't know its back there. Sometimes I look back and wonder why the heck that guy is so close behind me then I realize it is my tow vehicle. You don't have to worry because it follows right behind you. Whatever the rear of the coach misses your tow car will miss.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #6

I'd rather tow 4-down than have to use a dolly. For one thing, the dolly is an extra piece of hardware that has to be stored when not in use. And they are almost impossible to back up. Of course, you aren't supposed to back up with a 4-down toad either.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #7

thx, yes 4 wheel down vs. 2 wheel down.

Jim
Old 09-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #8

It's whatever you prefer both methods have advantages and disadvantages. Four down is faster hookup and less storage but fewer vehicles available to tow without expensive modifications. Dollies take up storage space a little longer hookup time but most front wheel drive cars can be towed on a dolly.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #9

Most popular 4 down seems to be 4X4 Jeeps. We took the back seat out for DWs scooter and the dog. Also gives us the excuse, "we don't have a back seat we'll meet you there".
Old 09-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know about Jeeps being the most popular... have you noticed all the Honda CRVs being towed?

In any case, towing 4-down as opposed to on a dolly seems to be the most preferred. The one BIG advantage to using a dolly is that you can use just about any FWD vehicle, whereas with 4-down, only a select few can be towed without modifications.

That said, I've only used 4-down as a method of towing our dinghy.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #11

After full timing for 27 months, driving the motorhome 22,000 miles, crossing 35 states and staying in 75 different campgrounds...I could not imagine having dealt with the physical exertion (and worry) of a tow dolly. Makes me tired just thinking about it. I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen some poor soul, struggling in the rain and mud, trying to unload...or load and strap his vehicle on a dolly. Then what do you do with it before you back into your site? Push it somewhere by hand, if there is even space? Not me....

Now if you just go on a couple of one week trips each year...to just one campground...then that is a totally different story.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow Dolly User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
After full timing for 27 months, driving the motorhome 22,000 miles, crossing 35 states and staying in 75 different campgrounds...I could not imagine having dealt with the physical exertion (and worry) of a tow dolly. Makes me tired just thinking about it. I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen some poor soul, struggling in the rain and mud, trying to unload...or load and strap his vehicle on a dolly. Then what do you do with it before you back into your site? Push it somewhere by hand, if there is even space? Not me....

Now if you just go on a couple of one week trips each year...to just one campground...then that is a totally different story.
We went the two up route simply because our toad could not be driven 4 down and it was not financially feasible to simply buy another replacement vehicle. We did purchase a dolly cart which has a 2 inch ball on the top and two wheels. It folds down and easily stores in the toad. Makes moving the dolly a breeze, even for a 65 year old person. Drove it the MB for IRV2 rally. Sites in Ocean Lakes were tight, so had to take car off before pulling in site. Ditto for going home.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I've towed both ways. The last trip with the dolly, lost the table tilt pin underneath, could have been a disaster. On the way home the tire strap on one side came off and was being dragged along. Could have been a disaster. When I got home, sold the dolly and put the money toward a tow bar and bracket for my ford focus. Problems can be had in either set up, I just got spooked with the dolly, twice. Focus has been a good toad, switching to a Buick Enclave this fall for our winter trip. Will be towing all four down. Really is a plethora of vehicles that can be towed all four down. Just not every car.
Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, that would have been scary. We've been using the Acme Dow Dolly. Other than the "adventure" of my wife giving me hand signals loading it (lol), no problems. I do stop on regular intervals to check the tire straps, which sometimes need tightening. When it's time to replace the RAV4, we're gonna give that some real consideration.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing