Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #1

4WD Jeep Liberty-tow in PARK or NEUTRAL?

I'm about to tow for the first time. The 2012 Liberty manual page 78 shows that you put the transmission in neutral, put the transfer case in neutral by pushing the little LED button, then put the transmission in PARK. Is PARK the correct towing gear? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I'm about to tow for the first time. The 2012 Liberty manual page 78 shows that you put the transmission in neutral, put the transfer case in neutral by pushing the little LED button, then put the transmission in PARK. Is PARK the correct towing gear? Thanks!
Yep! I pulled a Liberty for quite awhile. Granted it does "feel" strange to put the little beast in Park, but if the Transfer case is in Neutral, then all is good to go and you should put it in Park.

I do remember that for some time I used to leave the key in and turned to the first position to "unlock" the steering wheel. I did that 'til someone here on iRV2 told me that Jeep stopped putting steering wheel locks on Liberty's (and maybe some other models) several years back. Sure enough, I went out to my Liberty and with no key in the ignition, I could turn the steering wheel lock to lock, it was hard, but I did prove to myself that the guy was right. From that day on, I would put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in Park, and the key in my pocket.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

The intent of putting it into park is to prevent the transmission gears from spinning without lubricant while you tow.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
The intent of putting it into park is to prevent the transmission gears from spinning without lubricant while you tow.
Agree

Xfer case to nuetral
Transmission to park (auto) or any gear (manual)
Steering unlocked
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have towed my 2012 Liberty for the last 18 months just as the manual states in Park and no problems. I always check that the transfer case is n neutral by rolling the Liberty just a few inches with the shifter in Park and the the tow bar hooked up. Please don't forget to release your emergency brake

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another way to check if transfer case is in neutral is when you think it is, put trans in gear and see if the car wants to move. If it does not move then shut off ignition and put trans in park.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

Thank you all for your helpful posts! I test-towed the Liberty yesterday with the tranny in PARK and it worked fine. It was also a good test of the RVI2 brake system I purchased. I think I'll like the setup, though I have to admit that hooking up the Liberty with the towbar the first time was more time-consuming than I expected. With all the safety equipment, I don't think there's any way the Jeep could come loose (knock on wood).