Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
4wd pickup toad

Does anyone have any suggestions on a 4wd pickup toad that can be towed four down? It seems that a lot of the manufacturers have so many restrictions.

2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, Spartan Chasis ISL 370 HP, Toad: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
contrarymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Check out the annual FMCA "toad" edition to see what is what. Most GM 4xs can; most Fords need a mod to be towable. Jeeps can also be 4x towed. Other brands seem to be situational -- check the dealer or FMCA for the "facts".....

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
You can tow the following: Chev/GMC full size 4x4 trucks and midsize 4x4 trucks, full size Ram 4x4 and the Dakota 4x4. I believe from 2013 on, you can tow the full size Ford.

I towed a Dodge Dakota for two years. It towed well and was simple to put into tow mode. I towed a Nissan Frontier for a couple of years, but it required a driveshaft disconnect that adds another $1000.00 to the equation. Currently, I tow a Chevy Silverado 4x4.

The midsize trucks weigh approximately 4500 pounds and the full size weigh approximately 5500 pounds.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Check this thread. I tow my new Ford F150 4x4 4down without issue.

Ford F150 4X4 now flat towable
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Full size RAM. Just put transfer case in neutral and go. Don't need key in ignition to keep wheel unlocked or anything.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As a general rule of thumb, anything with a transfer case that has a neutral position can be towed four down.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
As has been stated, Ford dropped the ball all the way to 2012 for flat towing of their full sized F-150 4x4. They simply did not establish any way for you to electronically shift the transfer case into neutral. Nice move Ford!! Now, for 2012, they WOKE UP! It's a simple matter of a few steps to get the transfer case into neutral and, you're ready to tow it down the road.

As for GM, Dodge and GMC, well, while using a full sized truck for a toad is not all that common, some do it and, at least those manufacturers provided for the ability to flat tow it without jumping through any hoops.

Now, the Ford Ranger, that's a bit of a different story. Ford, from the factory on many model year Rangers, does not "set it up" for flat towing but, for a modest $350.00-$400.00, you could then, and I think it's available again now, order up a kit, have it installed and then, have your local Ford dealer reprogram the shift module for the electronic shift motor on the transfer case to actually put it in "Neutral". Here's the good part. For your hard earned $350 + dollars, guess what you get in the "kit"??? You get an LED indicator light and a bracket to mount that light to the bottom of your dash and, a plug leading to the wiring harness to plug that light in. WOW!!!!!

Now, you'll have to check on the model years that you can actually install that kit on as, there are some year of Ford Ranger that are not listed for that kit.

As for the GMC and Colorado, there's no kits or special hoops to jump through for towing them. Follow the proceedures in the owners manual and, you're off and running.

Obviously the smaller trucks are a bit lighter so, that may be a consideration in your choice.

We just went through all of what I've explained above. Learned a lot in the last month or so. Based on our needs and desires, we ended up with a full sized, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab with the short (6.5') bed. I've since purchased a "Rampage" lift/carrier for our Honda GL 1800 Goldwing that will be carried in the bed of that truck when we're traveling.

I just ordered and received the base plate(s) for that truck and will be installing them this week.

So, there's some info for you. Hope it helps some.

Oh, by the way, don't take too much stock in what the Dinghy Towing Guide states for the weights of the vehicles listed that can be flat towed. They were considerably off in both toads I've purchased. First, the 2011 Honda CRV we had was just over 3700 lbs. which is about 500 lbs. over what they listed. And, our present one, the GMC 1500 is listed at almost 4900 lbs. and it actually weighs 5300. So, while it's only a few hundred pounds off, where it makes a difference is, if you're basing a certain tow setup, as in tow bar, base plate, safety cables etc. on a max weight of say, 5,000 lbs. and your toad actually weighs 5300+, well, you can see where I'm going with that. Good luck.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have towed my Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with 5 speed for thousands of miles without issue, my wife now is unable to get into it so investigated and found the Chev Colorado auto with 4x4 can be towed without issue. Still too high so got a Chev HHR. Don't need 4x4 any longer so will put the Toy up for sale. Sigh !!! Check at WWW.Remco.com for good advice.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Full size RAM. Just put transfer case in neutral and go. Don't need key in ignition to keep wheel unlocked or anything.
No steering lock on Ram P/Us is year dependant , my 2000 had the steering lock and I don't know what year they quit.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Thanks to all of you for your tips. We currently have an older Jeep Cherokee that runs well and goes anywhere we want it to, but the seats are very uncomfortable and it's hard to get into. We've looked into getting a newer one, but then with 3 dogs (which are like our kids) who drool we thought maybe a small 4wd pickup with a camper shell might be a better option. You're right about not paying attention to the books weights. We have a feed store in town with a scale and the vehicles are always heavier than posted. I guess most manufacturers weigh them with the bare bones! Anyway, I guess we'll keep looking. My husband will retire within the next year and then we'll be on the road alot more (hopefully). I guess when I originally posted this, I should have worded it differently. I guess I wanted to know if anyone has or had a small 4wd that they've towed. Anyway, thanks for all the info you've provided and anymore that anyone has.
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, Spartan Chasis ISL 370 HP, Toad: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
contrarymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I tow a 2008 Dodge Dakota 4x4. Have never had a bit of trouble with it. There are 2 things I have to do, leave the key in ignition and then remove the negative battery cable. Don't mind doing either of those as I like the truck a lot. We drove it to Alaska in 2011. For a mid-size 4x4 truck it rides very well. It has the V-8 engine. What used to be the 318 ci. It gets around 22- 24 mpg on the highway. It is the crew cab model so it has room in it. I have heard, don't know how true haven't checked it out, that the newer ones are not towable.

Jerry and Janell & Westie dog Gus (Augustus McCrae)
Navy by record Marine by choice
2005 Bounder 38N DP 300 CAT 2014 Jeep Wrangler
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
We towed a 2008 Ford Ranger 4x4 Auto for one year before DW decided she wanted something bigger. I still have the paper work.

Neutral tow kit-$39.95

Ford dealer reflash-$156.00

I took the tow bracket, and neutral tow light off the dash. I would be happy to sell them both for a $100.00 dollar bill. As said there are many pkups that can be towed today.

06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote