Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

50 cc Scooter - Where can you drive them

I ahve been looking in to using 2 50cc scooters to get around when we park the 30ft RV. I can only get the scooters to go 40 to 60 KM/H (25 - 40 MPH) so I can not keep up with traffic on some roads. When you are RVing, how usefull is the scooter for getting around? What roads can you use?
Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Some cg's ban them. I have been told that if you are a responsable adult that usually look away. Have one in the garage I bought 2 years ago, but can't find a system I feel comfortable using. What are you planning to use?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Waggy,
A better question would be; "Where should you NOT drive them?" ...And the answer to that is; "Anywhere you would be an impediment to the flow of normal traffic."
I have a 50CC scooter as well as a 400CC Maxi-Scooter (Suziki Burgman 400). The Maxi-scooter is capable of sustained Interstate Highway cruising at 70 MPH and will pull away from 90% of the cars at any given traffic light. No problem with any roadways I ride.

The smaller, lighter 50CC was purchased solely to carry along on the rear of the coach as a quick means of running to the camp store or to a nearby store, ONLY if it is a secondary road and can be SAFELY done... and that of course, is a highly subjective thing to reckon.

The only LEGAL restriction you actually face (assuming you have met your state's licensing and registration requirements) is a restricted highway, e.g., Interstate Highway where it is clearly marked "Minimum Speed 40MPH"... but just because a thing is LEGAL, it is not necessarily a wise thing to do.

What I am saying is that, while you can "legally" ride your 50CC scooter on anything but an Interstate or Freeway, you probably should not do so, except under very familiar circumstances. On anything other than 35MPH or LESS residential streets, you will be risking having someone run over you, not anticipating a slow-moving vehicle. Your risk of a mishap is certainly increased with rain, limited visibility and darkness.

As an extra measure of protection, when riding either of my beloved scoots, or even my vintage Honda GoldWing 1000, I ALWAYS ride with a day-glow orange vest with contrasting yellow bands and reflective trim... day or night.

I hope this is of assistance to you... Safe travels and safe riding if you use your scooter to run errands.
Take care,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #4

I have a 1996 Honda SK50M (DIO) 50cc and a 2009 Saga (Benzhou) that I plan to use if my wife and I get use to them. I plan on mounting one on the front and one on the back of the RV.
Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
When you are RVing, how usefull is the scooter for getting around? What roads can you use?
What Good man said. They're great for getting around the campground/RV parks. But don't even think about getting on any roads or streets with speed limit of more than 30 MPH. Even in the campground, always assume that you are invisible to other vehicles, so stay out of their way. In Midland, that eliminates almost all the main streets. With proper street license on the thing, I'd ride it on roads and streets with speed limit up to 30 MPH, but always assuming that any other traffic on those roads either can't see me or else are trying to run over me.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought one of the cheap 50cc Chinese made scooters a few years ago and a rack to fit on the front of our pickup. It worked great for what we bought it for, which was to drive around small towns like Chincoteague Island, VA, where the speed limit was no more than 30. Beyond that it was useless, plus it was a 2-stroke engine which was always a real PITA to get started. I sold it when we sold our rig and bought the mh. Still have the rack though.
My advice is spend a few bucks and get a decent 4-stroke 125 or 150cc Honda or Yamaha, stay away from the Chinese junk. Check out Craig's list, tons of them there.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #7

use a regular bike, we all need the exercise
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
use a regular bike, we all need the exercise
We do too. Actually, a few years ago, we purchased the Giatex bikes that slide open and close, really sweet. They don't fold, thereby compromising the integrity of the frame. It's a really unique design. We got the transport bags too. We put them in the slideout trays underneath the coach. The best thing is, we power them, so we get the exercise. They take us anywhere we want to go and we have alot of fun too.
free2rv4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I ended up buying 2 folding bikes. Great for getting around the park. Anyone looking for a hardly used Yamaha Vino?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alas.. You question is one of law.. Legally you can drive them anywhere they are permitted, provided they are properly registered and or licensed and you are properly licensed.

Now of course your question translates to "Where are they allowed" and as with all laws the answer varies from state to state, and in this case from county to county or city to city within the state. and as has been pointed out the campground may have further rules (Not laws in this case) prohibiting or limiting them.

So, alas, there is no clear answer olther than 'You millage may vary" as we are fond of saying elsewhere. (Laws vary from place to place).