Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PTJeep

I think the BFG AT/KO is a great all around tire for a jeep. Many people run them. Very popular.

As for sizing the JK has large wheel wells which allows for larger tires with small lifts. The problem with modifying a Jeep is that one modification needs another related modification, and on and on it can go.

A stock Jeep with good tires can go a lot of places. Rock sliders are a commonly recommended minimum armor so as to protect the vulnerable areas there.

Need to decide what it is you want to do with the Jeep, what type of trails, etc. there are trails from mild to wild and in between. If you have not done much offloading suggest you do so with stock or minimal modifications. Learn from the experiences and then creat a build plan for the Jeep.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #16

Here is a picture of our Jeep on a trail out of Leadville, Colorado. I have done the following:

35 inch GY MTRs on stock wheels with 1 1/2 wheel spacers
1 3/4 inch lift with Daystar
Hanson bumpers front and rear (front shackle mounts used for towing)
Hanson rear tire rack
GenRight sliders
GenRight aluminum fender flares

GenRight now has aluminum bumpers and sliders, which are real nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4991.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	47611  

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #17

You might want to look at the Goodyear Silent Armor tires. They're an all terrain tire that has great traction in all kinds of weather. They are a bit noisy however. Primarily due to the aggressive tread. We're on our second set on a 2004 Wrangler. The first set went a little over 80,000 miles. They still had about 25% of the tread left, but I didn't want to go through a snowy winter with worn tires.

Here's a page on the Goodyear site with some infromation:

Wrangler SilentArmor Tires | Goodyear Tires

Here's a link to some reviews by Jeep owners:

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Just a couple of things I'd like to add,

1. Re sidewall cuts: Tire placement is way more important than the tire used. Some folks just aim and drive by braille, they cut more sidewalls than those that know where their tires are and drive over the rocks in the road rather than scraping against them. If in doubt I hang my head out the side and look, drive the left side and the right side will ALWAYS be the same distance from the driver's tire.

2. Tire compound: Traction when trail driving and street longevity are 2 factors that are 180 apart. A hard compound that will go 50-60+k miles will not grip well when off road. To put it in perspective it would be like a weekend road racer wanting a tire that he can race yet still only have to replace every 10 years, ain't gonna happen. For most folks a good compromise is best. The JKs have the advantage of being able to fit a 33" tall tire with minimal lift. We had an '07 with the metric equivalent of 33" tires on it, it was a little anemic up here at 7200' even with the factory 4:10 gears (Sahara with tow package) but it pulled it OK at lower elevations.

3. Building your Jeep: Do LOTS of trail driving and research before you start, your wallet will thank you. Some folks spend thousands on equipment they'll never use, others spend thousands on stuff they take off almost unused when they discover they want to "step it up" a bit (my case), it's expensive to do it 2 or 3 times, get it right from the start.

4. Locker envy: Don't. 90% of the folks that buy factory equipped Jeeps with them don't "need" them. Lockers will just get an inexperienced driver into more trouble, farther into a trail than an open diff' Jeep. You would be surprised just what kind of trails a stock Jeep with a small lift and 31"-33" tires can do. As has been mentioned changing one thing quite often causes issues that require more things to be "upgraded".

Just my opinions and experience, yours and others may vary,
Enjoy your Jeep.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #19

[QUOTE=FIRE UP;1762276]PTJeep,
I really didn't try to incinuate that you build a top notch Rubicon. Jeeps, even in bone stock configuration are fairly capable. But, in the bone stock setup, they can get you into trouble too by getting you into something that, it's possible you can't get out of, without help. Rubi's are expensive, no matter what year. But, Rubis come from the factory with almost as good of a set up as you can get.

But, that's not really your concern. You'd just like to get from point A to point B, hopefully without issue. You asked me about tire pressure. Well, first off, on all seven of our well built jeeps, I ran 15" x 8" wheels. I ran anywhere from 31 x 10:50 to 35x12:50s on those same wheels.

Now, on the 15" wheels, there was what's known as a "safety bead" built into those wheels. That safety bead was/is a lip, just inside the outer bead that sort of "holds" the tire in place. It's not near as good as a bead lock but, it's always worked for me. And, in having that safety bead, I trusted having the tire pressure bled down to around 9-10 lbs. for quality off roading. By running the tires that low, you enhance the tires ability to "grip" the terrain/rocks/ruts/obstacles easier/better. It's kind of like running your fist over a base ball (high-road pressure) or, griping the baseball with your palm (low-off road pressure).

And, the ride off road is greatly enhanced due to the low pressure. Now, I, and all the folks I jeeped with over the years, all setup our jeeps with engine driven air compressors. We were never without air. So, at the end of a trail, and at the roads edge, we'd all air back up to street pressure and head back to the barn, (or motor home to be more specific).

Now, as far as brand of tire is concerned, back then, in the 15" series, the dominant tire was the BFG All Terrain. That was several years and several jeeps ago. The tire, in it's early years, was a good tire and somewhat dependable. But, the last time I outfitted one of our Jeeps with new skins and chose them, I went through two complete sets of them before I could get one tire that was "Round".

As is so happened, BFG had contracted to have many of their tires made over seas and the quality control took a serious dive. So, I told Discount tire to take all their BFGs and shove'm. I then chose Yokahamas and, not only were they perfectly round, they required very little weight for balancing. They did very, very well on the toughest trails in Moab, and all of the trails in Ouray CO which, are not nearly as tough as Moabs trails.

But, that was a while ago. All the folks running the JKs and the 17's or 18" size wheels, I have no idea what those Jeeps come with since I never owned one, must have better ideas of what's a good/dependable/quiet tire now. I will say this, mud terrain tires of today, are manufactured with considerably better materials and are better in ride quality than they were several years ago when I purchased some 33x12:50-15s for my CJ. Those were nice, FOR ABOUT 5,000 MILES, then, they got progressively louder and louder with every mile that was added to them. That's not uncommon for mud terrains to get louder.

You see, the treads are farther apart and have tendency to "Slap" the street as the rotate. Well, in that slapping, they develop a pattern and, that pattern gets more and more pronounced as they age and get miles on them. But, again, that was back then, I have no idea just how well a set of worn, aged, mud tires made in todays world are lasting and how they sound.

And, I have to be honest here. I've never even been in a JK. Our last Jeep, an '04 Rubicon was setup with a "Full Traction, 6" lift, 35" Toyo all Terrain tires, Bilstein 5100 series shocks and sway bar disconnect. Now, that jeep went everywhere I pointed it, even some places I didn't. So, the ride, was simply accepted as part of the game plan.

But, as I understand the newer JK models do have a nice ride. One day I'll have to take a short drive in one just to see how they ride and feel. But, in any case, have a ball in your exploration, it's a lot of fun, and to see what's around the next bend in the dirt road/trail etc. is always exciting. The wife and I have conquered all the ruts, hills, trails, obstacles, mountains, dangerous predicaments, and much more, a zillion times over so, after 25 years, it was time to take a break from it.

Maybe someday we'll venture off into the "outback" again. Who knows? Be careful out there. And, if and when you're venturing off to a new and unknown situation, it's always better to travel in pairs or more. Below was our last setup with a Jeep. Of all the Jeeps we had, I was most proud of building that one.
Scott

Hey Scott,

Thank you for your post, and all of the great information you passed along, I understand that you werent insinuating that I build a Rubicon, I looked at a Rubicon when I looked at the one I currently own and almost pulled the trigger on it, but I was voted down, nuff said on that.

And I well remember 15" wheels, This being my first Jeep and the first time I have ever dealt with 17" wheels as well. So I am really trying to learn and thats why I started this thread, because I know there are people in this space of iRV2 that know.

Now airing down I have read about, but with my Jeep as soon as I do I get the TPMS system ringing at me, now I'm sure that I can find the fuse for that and disable it, but then I have to deal with my right seat passenger saying she wishes I wouldnt do that. I do carry a air compressor, but it is not one of the under the hood models.

I appreciate your insight on this subject, and if you think of anything else, please let me know.

Thank You,

Jeff
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
To run wider tires and taller ones on the JK you'll need to change wheels too.
Look at Rock Hard bumpers and skid plates too.
If you're a FMCA member the FMCA 4 Wheelers is pretty active in the West. Take a look at their site at fmca4wheelers.com
Hey Kix,

Yeah I was waiting for the suggestion of getting different wheels, and as much as I would be really on board with that, being on retirement income, I have to choose my battles wisely, but I know a lot of this stuff I can install myself, and I have the tools with me to do it. What is your opinion of the Jeep Essentials magazine Quadratech ?

Jeff
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #21

Hi Hikerdogs,

Thank you for your post and your info and the links. I'll check those out as well
Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #22

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your post, excellent information as well, And I know you can spend lots of dollars on things you dont need or arent big enough or whatever the first time around, I need to avoid that at all costs, or I'll never hear the end of it, if you know what I mean.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Hey Kix,

Yeah I was waiting for the suggestion of getting different wheels, and as much as I would be really on board with that, being on retirement income, I have to choose my battles wisely, but I know a lot of this stuff I can install myself, and I have the tools with me to do it. What is your opinion of the Jeep Essentials magazine Quadratech ?

Jeff
Sending you a PM
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #24

We have a 12 Sport and I am looking at new tires and am considering Cooper Discovery AT3 tires. They seem to fair well in all the tests that I have read about and are reported to be fairly quiet for a AT tire. I also installed Rancho RS 9000 adjustable shocks and have them set on 2 and the Jeep rides nice on the road. When I go off roading I have the option of changing the setting. I highly recommend these shocks they are wife approved!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #25

I suggest you go into a "Jeep" forum... there are plenty of threads that will make your head spin. Its a great resource.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
We have a 12 Sport and I am looking at new tires and am considering Cooper Discovery AT3 tires. They seem to fair well in all the tests that I have read about and are reported to be fairly quiet for a AT tire. I also installed Rancho RS 9000 adjustable shocks and have them set on 2 and the Jeep rides nice on the road. When I go off roading I have the option of changing the setting. I highly recommend these shocks they are wife approved!
Hi and Thanks for responding,

I'll check out the Coopers as well, I have a Rancho Steering Stabilizer, the OEM finally wore out and I replaced it with the Rancho and I really like how it performs.

Hey Redridge,

Thank you for your post as well, I also have checked out the Jeep forums, and there is a lot of info there as well, but I wanted to glean info from others that are RVing as well. I'm not anywhere near done with my research, but I want to be informed before I pull the trigger on a new set of tires for my Jeep.

Cheers !!!

Tags
tires