Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
We have been towing a 74 vw bug.We love our bug but I am 6'4" and fit better in our old bus.I worry about towing the bus because it is top heavy and I do not want it to trip and fall down.Have any of had or heard of a bus being towed?Thanks Bill

funston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Location: Mercer, PA -- 1000 feet from the O.D. Anderson Interchange (I-79 & I-80)
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
I've towed my minivan behind the motor home we used to have. I've never seen nor heard of anyone towing a VW bus. The bus is narrow which ads to its top heaviness. If you do pull it, please take pictures -- I would love to see the combination.

2009 Palomino Stampede S195 SD (Hybrid TT)
2010 Ford E-350 Super Duty XLT Extended
GOOGLE "GEORGE MIKLAS" for more information of about our worldwide adventures
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
A 65 Bus? If it is in good or restorable condition, I would put it up on blocks and use if for retirement. They are going for big bucks
Kayo Full timer since 2003
2014 Prime Time Sanibel 3501. 2013 Silverado 3500HD diesel dually. Seasonal NPS Park Ranger USMC 0302
kayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Originally Posted by funston View Post
We have been towing a 74 vw bug.We love our bug but I am 6'4" and fit better in our old bus.I worry about towing the bus because it is top heavy and I do not want it to trip and fall down.Have any of had or heard of a bus being towed?Thanks Bill
Hi - yes this is referring back to an old question you had, but we were researching the forum because we have a 1974 VW Thing and wondered if you could help with a question or two. We see that you towed a 74 bug which is basically the same...so the question is: should we bungie cord the steering wheel when towing because they are notorius for the wheels not returning to a straight position after turning? If we did use a bungie cord should it be one or two? Thanks for any help out there.
Rick Flores is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Bus Towing

I towed a 68 double cab VW pick up all over Kansas when I was younger. The 65 has a swing axle that could give you some problems in high speed cornering, but I doubt you will be going that fast in your coach anyway.
Remember to keep the reduction gear boxes full of grease. They are just behind the brake backing plate on the rear axle.

The most difficut thing is finding a tow bar to fit the beast. A regular beetle tow bar is too short and wont stick out the front far enough to hook up. You may have to build your own.
Old Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote