Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

7 Pin on MoHo to 6 pin on Toad.

Recently acquired a 2006 Saturn Vue which was towed (Blue OX) 6 pin on MoHo to 6 pin on Saturn Vue. My Thor has a 7 pin outlet. I purchased a 7 to 6 cable and when I hooked up, I could not get any lights at all. That said, do I need a different connector on the toad or do I need to rewire the toad to match the outlet pin set-up on the MoHo. Any help will be most appreciated.
DaSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Before spending more money on either a new 7 pin or 6 pin socket, you should check that the 7 pin outlet on your RV is wired correctly and electrically active. If it is, then you could either change it to a 6 pin or use a 7 conductor umbilical and put a 7 pin outlet on the toad.

If you Google search you'll find lots of illustrations of 7 and 6 pin wiring guides.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Electrically active, never thought about that. Figured it was since the coach is fairly new.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You could use jumper wires to check that the pins on the toad's socket are connected to the tail lights, brake lights, etc. I've done it and used a mirror propped up behind toad to see lights without having to get up and look each time.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You could use jumper wires to check that the pins on the toad's socket are connected to the tail lights, brake lights, etc. I've done it and used a mirror propped up behind toad to see lights without having to get up and look each time.
Get a simple light tester and start at the source. Then work your way downstream. It's just a process of elimination.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSvenska View Post
Recently acquired a 2006 Saturn Vue which was towed (Blue OX) 6 pin on MoHo to 6 pin on Saturn Vue. My Thor has a 7 pin outlet. I purchased a 7 to 6 cable and when I hooked up, I could not get any lights at all. That said, do I need a different connector on the toad or do I need to rewire the toad to match the outlet pin set-up on the MoHo. Any help will be most appreciated.
This will make it simple.

BX88206 7-6 Coiled Electrical Cable | Blue Ox
Old 11-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #7

Gazinta, Gazouta

Swede-

I take it you've not towed with your Tuscany before. If this is not correct, please let us know.

When you say "... I could not get any lights at all," may we assume that means parking lights as well as brake and turn signal lights? If that is not a correct assumption, please let us know.

One final question- Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?

The problem is either with the "Gazinta" (the coach and the cable) or the "Gazouta" (the toad). My bet's on the toad, as you say the coach is "fairly new." In any case, If you have an owner's manual for the coach, you should look through it to see what it says about towing and the trailer hitch wiring. Some manuals show the expected "pinout" wiring for the 7-pin connector, and some include indications of any fuses and relays through which the signals go on their way to the hitch connector. That information may be in a separate chassis manual for some coaches.

Before testing, you should look at the information on this "Trailer Wiring Diagrams" Web page. Your toad is a trailer as far as the wiring for lights is concerned. Diagrams on that page show what signals should appear where on 7-pin and 6-pin connectors.

Here's a troubleshooting method, in brief:

1) Check for voltages at the 7-pin connector (You'll need to turn things on at the coach's dash. I'd start with the parking lights, as they're a constant 12V.) This test will tell you if the correct signals are getting to the rear of the coach, and if the 7-pin connector is wired so that each signal shows up at the correct pin.

2) Insert the 7-to-6 cable and check for voltages at the 6-pin connector. This test will tell you is the signals are making it to the correct pins on the 6-pin cable.

3) With the cable not attached to the toad, connect the pins (one at a time) with the corresponding pin in the 6-pin connector on the toad, per Bob's ("BFlinn181'") recommendation. Any wire 16 gauge or larger will do. This test tells you if the toad wires are connected to the correct lights.

Bob suggested a mirror to help with test 3). I've been known to park my toad with the rear end pointing at the garage doors (reflects the lights) and even alongside the coach, with the back end of the toad pointing toward the front end of the coach (can view the lights in the coach mirrors). Oh, and "Dutch Star Don" points out in another iRV2 post that the fastest way to test the turn and brake lights is to put on the emergency flashers.

I hope this helps. Let us know your progress.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Like some have said, make sure everything is live from the coach first.

It wouldn't be the first time an error was made at the factory!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Six pin on the Towed.. SUGGESTS something to me.

You see my original towed had a 4 pin, plus two pins for the brake system (two cords)... My current towed has a six pin,, but I'm going with a non electrical brake system so none of the pins are for the brakes.

The 78 Pins are most likely
Tail
Turn/stop
Turn/stop
Battery
Ground
Aux (Can be many things)

But the six on my car are
Tail
Turn/stop
Turn/stop
Ground
Power to pump
Pressure sense

You need to make sure the pins have the same labels

The pump (Remco LP-1) Protects the transmission.

Oh, Tow system.. Blue-Ox
Old 11-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #10

Going from 7 pin MH to 6 pin toad. You have 2 problems. #1 How toad is wired to the 6 pin connector. #2 How the MH goes to the 6 pin connector. If you wired the toad you should know how that is wired. If you hired it wired ask the person how he wired the toad pin. Next plug the cable into your MH. Using a test light check each pin of the 6 pins for its characteristics. Turn signal, tail light, 12v power continous. Just compare how it matches with the toad connector. A little time consuming but not difficult.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The make a one piece 7 pin to 6 pin connector/adapter. A little rare but still they do have them. But. of course it does require that both the 7 and 6 pin connectors be wired to the correct standard!
http://www.autozone.com/trailer-hitc...er/261358_0_0/

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
The only difference between a 7 pin and 6 pin set up is that the 7 pin has a center 'auxiliary' in addition to all the functions of the 6 pin. In my set up, I used the 6 pin configuration except my center pin, normally used for electric brakes, is hooked up as a charge wire between the RV chassis batteries and the toad battery.

Take your umbilical wire and plug it in the toad socket. Raise the hood and get a couple of jumper wires. Hook one from battery ground to the ground of the umbilical end. Then use the other jumper and connect to the (+) battery post. By touching it to each pin in the umbilical, you can quickly map out the wiring of the toad.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-14-2015, 05:48 AM   #13

I think they make a 7 pin to 6 cable but I couldn't find one. I made my own. I used clear plastic tubing, automotive wire (couple of wires are larger size), and wire pulling lubricant from the local hardware store. There is some very good info in previous posts. The color code and wiring was wrong on my new MH. They extend many chassis and wiring is re-done. My wiring harness for my Jeep Wrangler was set up as a 4 pin. I changed out the connector to a 6 pin so I could charge my toad battery on the road. I used diodes to isolate. the toad from the MH. Although it is good to have a multimeter, a good test light from your auto parts store will be the best tool to check out the lights and wiring. etrailer has all the wiring info on their website.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

Thanks all for the replies. First: I have not towed anything with the Tuscany as of yet, just assumed the 7 pin port was hot. Nevertheless, I will check it with power on and a meter, then take the WD's and go from there. Thanks again. Swede

Tags
toad