Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

7 pin or 6 pin

I have a seven pin and a six pin connector on the back of my coach...the seven pin was obviously installed by the manufacture and the six pin was installed by my local rv shop for my chevy truck with blue ox tow bar, m&g brakes and blue ox wiring kit....i now have a 2014 jeep which i will tow with the same blue ox tow bar, m&g brakes, and a new demco wiring kit, but i want to add the ribrake tow charger.....is it best to stick with the 6 pin the local shop installed or start using the 7 pin, thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd go with the 7 pin since you may need the extra someday like I did. Had to run a charge line to the towed to keep the battery up.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It really does not make a difference...the 7 pin has the additional "Backup light" connection...which you don't need.

I would go with the 6-pin so you can have a smaller connector on the toad, AND the cable will be the same on both ends...and a little cheaper.

Check this out:

http://www.etrailer.com

Regards,
Dan
Old 09-01-2015, 12:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaux View Post
I have a seven pin and a six pin connector on the back of my coach...the seven pin was obviously installed by the manufacture and the six pin was installed by my local rv shop for my chevy truck with blue ox tow bar, m&g brakes and blue ox wiring kit....i now have a 2014 jeep which i will tow with the same blue ox tow bar, m&g brakes, and a new demco wiring kit, but i want to add the ribrake tow charger.....is it best to stick with the 6 pin the local shop installed or start using the 7 pin, thanks
Well,
First off, I'm kind-a wondering WHY your local RV shop would go through all the trouble to wire up, another plug, even a 6 pin when, all you'll ever need is the seven pin that's ALREADY THERE????
The basic M & G braking has absolutely nothing to do with any wiring what so ever, at least on a diesel pusher it doesn't. I know, because I just installed one on mine and, it's all air pressure, NO WIRES.

And, there's basically four wires for your lighting on the toad.
1. LF turn/brake
2. RT turn/brake
3. Tail/marker
4. Ground

That's the basic wiring that about 99.99% of all of us need. There's always the ones that need or use a 12V charge line for the toad so, that makes no. 5.

I've never had the pleasure of using ANYONES wiring kit, i.e. "Blue Ox" or, "Demco" or, anyones. I've always wired up all my toads doing it my way. But, the fact is, in all reality, Blue Ox or Demco just about has to use the same wiring as numbered above. Now, there might be a trigger wire for a braking system or such but, I've not needed any such wiring in my systems. Before the M & G system I have, I used the Ready Brake and it also, requires NO WIRING what so ever.

But, I'm not familiar with all of whatever is needed for electronic braking of any sort so, I might not be listing any additional wiring in the trailer plug.

I'm just curious as to why they (your local RV shop) took the time and expense to install another plug when everything they needed was right there. Hmmmm.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used a 6 pin so I could add the dash indicator light to show when the toad brakes are applied. I really recommend having this light...it give you confidence that the toad brakes are activating when they should.

That is why I added a 6 pin connector to my rig...I did not want to change the 7-pin wiring so it would always be standard.....YES...I know I could have used the brake controller wire to run the LED....but that would not be "standard"

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, looks like both the 7 pin and the 6 pin are active....will test them tomorrow. I have the 6 pin umbilical already so i guess that would be a saving right there not having to purchase a new one. its just that the 7 pin looks like it is of better quality but oh well.

Yes Scott i'm confused as to why the RV shop installed the six pin also....could it be that i had to have (them) install a remco trans pump in my 2009 silverado with an alarm up by the dash in case of failure(there was no drive shaft disconnect for that model)...and i guess im stupid for not asking the question to them at the time...they are a vert good RV shop.

also i want to install the Ribrake battery charger (not the brake it self) can I just use the extra pins in the 6 pin connector, Thanks
Old 09-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #7

I too wood ask why the extra plug when all you need is this handy little gizmo.

Blue Ox 7-wire to 6-wire Coiled Electrical Cable - By Blue Ox | HitchSource.com
Old 09-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaux View Post
Thanks everyone, looks like both the 7 pin and the 6 pin are active....will test them tomorrow. I have the 6 pin umbilical already so i guess that would be a saving right there not having to purchase a new one. its just that the 7 pin looks like it is of better quality but oh well.

Yes Scott i'm confused as to why the RV shop installed the six pin also....could it be that i had to have (them) install a remco trans pump in my 2009 silverado with an alarm up by the dash in case of failure(there was no drive shaft disconnect for that model)...and i guess im stupid for not asking the question to them at the time...they are a vert good RV shop.

also i want to install the Ribrake battery charger (not the brake it self) can I just use the extra pins in the 6 pin connector, Thanks
Sounds like you already have exactly what you need. My bet is "YES, they installed the 6-pin because of your pump alarm"....so you can use that alarm wire if you like for a "Brake Activated" light.....connect it to the toads brake light wire. You will need to confirm if the 6 pin has the 12V line connected...if not you need to jumper over and pink up 12V from the 7-pin connector.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Sounds like you already have exactly what you need. My bet is "YES, they installed the 6-pin because of your pump alarm"....so you can use that alarm wire if you like for a "Brake Activated" light.....connect it to the toads brake light wire. You will need to confirm if the 6 pin has the 12V line connected...if not you need to jumper over and pink up 12V from the 7-pin connector.

Regards,

Dan
I kind-a have to agree with you Dan on this one. Our coach also has two, 7-pin plugs on it. It was like that when we purchased it. And, under the dash was the Remco plastic bracket with a red and green light and, maybe a switch of some sort, can't remember. My thoughts are, it must be Remcos "Manditory" installation of a new plug, be it a 7 pin or, 6 pin, on the rear of the coach, regardless if one already exists.

And, I'm ASSUMING that the primary reason for this might be that it's to insure that all functions and connections for their system, which is a serious system, because of potential failure can result in serious damage to the toad it's hooked to. are new and perfect connections and, that it takes a tech to make sure that all parts of the system are perfect.

Whereas, if they (Remco) would allow you to "Piggy back" onto already existing wiring and connections (7 pin plug), which could be on the verge of failure due to age, corrosion and more, then their system would/could fail too which, like stated, could/would cause catastrophic damages. At least that's my thoughts on why it's done.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote