Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
I do not believe this is correct. The current four-wire system, installed on the dolly, should give the coach and the dolly a common ground. But, the car, on the dolly, is not grounded- at least not reliably- unless there's some kind of ground strap that gets attached between dolly and car each time.

If this is the case, a charge line between coach and car will require the ground wire that passes through the umbilical to be connected to both dolly and car frames.

I could be incorrect, though.
it pays to re-read his original post... i missed that part that his car is on a dolly...
you are right, his car does not have a negative connection to the dolly. so he needs both positive and negative connections to charge his car battery.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
Actually, if the umbilical cable is wired correctly, there is already a ground and you only do need the one 'hot' wire added with a circuit breaker at the + terminal on the battery.

burfurd
I don't want to argue, but I believe you are incorrect. The current umbilical (if wired correctly) carries a ground between the coach and the tow dolly. If nothing is changed, there will be no ground between the coach and the car, so a charge line will not work.

If Charles was flat-towing his car, then he would only need to add the 12V+ charge line to the umbilical.

Again, I could be incorrect.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have positive at the 1 oclock pin and ground at 7 oclock

Quote:
CharlesL-

I forgot to thank you for your 24 years of service. Thank you!

Should your coach provide a 12V charge line signal at the 7-pin hitch, to use it you would need to get that signal to your car. On the car, you would need to connect the 12V to the car battery, using a fuse or circuit breaker, and also connect the ground on the car battery to the ground wire on the coach hitch. You do not need a battery charger.

Details on how to do this can be worked out later. First, you should perform the test I prescribed in post #2.
So I do have 14.3 volts with engine running at the one oclock position and ground at 7 oclock. How do I send this to the battery? Surely someone sells an adapter. Etrailer tried to sell me a kit for my car wiring which then would need to be adapted again to my dolly. Too much hassle for me. I just want to run +/- from the plug to the battery and still haave my 4 pin flat for the dolly. Anyone have suggestions on where to look for something that will work?
Charles L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #18

Charles-

How about this adapter to replace your current 7-to-4-pin adapter?

Plug your dolly into the 4-pin, as usual.

Install a 6-pin on the car, connecting just the 12V charge line pin (to battery positive, through a 15A inline fuse) and ground pin (to car frame ground).

Buy a short 6-pin umbilical.

That would do it, I think

There are other ways you can connect things, but this one uses common parts and keeps the connectors for the two purposes separate.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Charles-

Install a 6-pin on the car, connecting just the 12V charge line pin (to battery positive, through a 15A inline fuse) and ground pin (to car frame ground).

There are other ways you can connect things, but this one uses common parts and keeps the connectors for the two purposes separate.
the socket in the link is what i am using now. napa has it for $7. on the couch side, i still use 7-pin.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:29 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Charles-

So the 6 pin will only send the +/- through 2 wires? I then wire a 15 amp fuse prior to the battery +? I am having trouble picturing this 2 wire harness for the battery. If it works I will do it. How do I connect the battery wires to the 6 pin plug?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:11 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
adapter

OK that adapter several of you posted would work. My question is how do I transfer the power and ground from the 6 pin to a pair of wires that will run to my car battery? Is there a second adapter to plug into the 6pin?

Thank you for offering your assistance. Etrailer could not figure this out for me when I called.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 AM   #22

Charles-

A crude diagram is below.

Hera are some suggested etrailer parts:

6-wire umbilical
6-pin connector
Wire to battery
Inline fuse holder

You could do this with less expensive parts, but the list gives you an idea of what's needed. I've been careful to pick components that will work together (for instance, 12 AWG wire on the toad side).

I have not listed the connectors for butt splices or the battery and ground terminals. Some of that depends on how you connect. Also, I have not specified corrugated Nylon loom, which you will want to install over the wires in the car to protect them.

I gotta run. Feel free to ask more questions.

Code:
---7-pin hitch connector---Hopkins adapter---4-pin dolly light wire
                                  |
                                  |
---------6-wire umbilical----------
|
|
---6-pin connector on toad---ground wire to car frame
              |
              |
              ---12V+ wire---15A inline fuse---car battery
Old 06-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I ordered the parts

Thank you so much for helping me. I don't know why I did not think of this. I believe this will solve my problem. Thanks to all of you that responded to my questions.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I stand corrected, totally missed the tow dolly part of the post. In that situation, to have a complete circuit, a ground would be required if an umbilical cable to the vehicle was not used.

burfurd

Tags
tow, towing