Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #1

7-Pin Toad Connector Wiring

While going into a gas station with a bit of a grade I heard a screech. Come to find out I tore the 7 pin toad connector. Not sure why FR installed it at the lowest point in the rear. They could have easily installed it on top (red box)

I have never used the plug so I don't know if it was wired correctly to begin with. I'm asking this because the wire colors don't match the designation on some of the receptacle's markings.

Here is how they are wired:

Wire Color/Receptacle Marking
Red/Black
Green-Red/Brown
Blue/Blue
White/White
Yellow-Red/Red
Brown-White/Green
Black-Yellow/Center Pin

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
The "designations" on the plug itself are from the plugmaker, probably Bargman. Those colors aren't necessarily the same as those used by every RVmaker everywhere.

Unless you have some reason to believe (other electrical problems?) that the rigmaker didn't know what they were doing when they wired that plug, best bet is to buy an in-kind replacement and use the old configuration for your guide when installing.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
7 pin plugin

Most all the time there is a universal wiring method
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 pin Vehicle.jpg
Views:	2799
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	56704   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 pin trailer.jpg
Views:	1894
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	56705  

Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #4

In your case your wiring is correct, using a test light will confirm this but this is one of the standard configurations for trailer plugs!
your red wire should test out at +12v supply,
green/red wire is right turn and stop,
blue wire IS trailer brake supply,
white wire IS ground,
yellow/red is left turn and stop
brown/white is running/marker lights
black/yellow is reverse/backup lights,
ok, that's your wires and their functions

on the 7 way plug there are color designations, these are for standard North American rv type wiring code
black =+12v
white=ground
brown= right turn and stop
red =left turn and stop
green=running/marker lights
blue= trailer brakes
ylw = reverse/backup lights
ther ya go,put the function to the correct color designation and yer off into the night !!!
hope this helps
CHEERS.......Kev...

Wire Color/Receptacle Marking
Red/Black
Green-Red/Brown
Blue/Blue
White/White
Yellow-Red/Red
Brown-White/Green
Black-Yellow/Center Pin

[/QUOTE]
beebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #5

Thanks for all of the replies. I ordered the Pollak 12-705 with the mounting plate and will relocate it to the top of the hitch bracket. BTW, I now realize that it is not FRs fault for mounting it on the bottom. It's the hitch assy manufacturer. However, the reason I was concerned with the way it was wired is because FR did not wire a couple of other things correctly. Again, thanks for all of the replies.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring