Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
94 Tacoma Shaft Disconnect

Looking at a decent 94 Toyota 4x4 stick pickup for a toad but heard it still needs a rear shaft disconnect due to way TC is lubed. My 1st 4x4 venture. Could I disconnect the rear shaft at the rear diff since the truck body is raised and pretty easy to access? There is another coupling about mid truck but harder to access. Looks like only 4 bolts, and would put a strap/chain under to hold it up while being towed. Also could it be driven short distance in 4h/l without reconnecting rear shaft just using 2w fwd and just letting rear shaft spin on the holdup chain? Tks, Rick

2008 Southwind 32VS WH22, '94 Toyota PU 4x4 5sp toad, Mickie, Rick n "Milly", Paddlers & Sm Boat Sailors, Washington NC
ricknriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Well Sir, the old topic of towing things that are not authorized to be towed by the manufacturer comes up quite often now days. The simple and most straight forward answer is to, find something that is authorized to be towed in the first place.

Now, with that being said, if you or anyone still wants to tow something that is not authorized, then, you've got a series of choices or, options to allow you to tow your intended choice. The first is to disconnect the drive shaft. The second, get a "Driveshaft Disconnect" from a company that deals in such equipment. The third is to dolly it, and the fourth, Trailer it.

Now, Toyota does not authorize any of their fleet to be flat towed with the exception of I think, a certain model year RAV4. With that being said, I have no idea how the transfer case in the Toyota pickup you're considering is built in terms of lubrication but, since it's 4-wheel drive, than my first thought is, since there are no manual disconnects for the front hubs, that means at least one of the front axles is turning all the time. And to me that translates into the fact that it's possible that, that means the front drive shaft might also possibly turn too.

So, If you disconnect the rear shaft, is it possible that at least some of the transfer case gears are being turned by the front drive shaft? Again, I'm not a Toyota expert by any means, just trying to reason things out here.

And, here's the real fun part. You don't say how old you are or, what kind of shape you're in. But, and this is just my opinion here, after a long days drive and arriving at a campsite, RV park or, anywhere you plan on staying for any length of time, in the evening, in the rain, on dirt or gravel camping conditions or, roads, or any combination of any of the above conditions, I sure as heck NEVER would want to crawl or lay under the toad and go to work to hook up that drive shaft.

This is something personal. If you or, anyone wants to or, feels it's fine to do that sort of thing, then, more power to you and or all who doesn't mind those conditions when disconnecting. Disconnecting while in a perfectly clean driveway or, on a nice clean street in front of your home, might be one thing but, in the above conditions, well, it's up to you. And then, there's the departure. Many camp spots/RV spaces do not allow enough length for toad and coach hooked up so, the hook up of the toad must be done elsewhere, either on the premises or, outside the park/camp ground.

I'm not trying to talk you out of your purchase of this vehicle for your toad. My thought here was just to help you understand, if you don't, all the ramifications of knowingly purchasing a vehicle that is not flat towable but, you intend on towing it anyways. Good luck with what ever you choose. Happy RVing.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Contact Remco about a driveshaft disconnect. I had one before and they work easy , no problems . In the end you'll be glad you spent the money and if you change your mind along the way and want to sell the vehicle you just install the original driveshaft. You can sell the unit or send it back to have it rewelded/adapted to your new vehicle. Look on the Remco web site and it should tell you if your truck needs one or not.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
If I remember they sold the disconnect to Drive Shaft King in Grand Prairie Texas they did mine on a 2007 chevy
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My history with Toyota follows.

Had a 1990 4 runner with 5speed installed front wheel lock out hubs, put the main box in neutral and pulled it many miles. As I recall the transfer case did not have a neutral setting.

On my 2002 Tacoma 4X4, 5 speed I put both the transfer and main box in neutral and towed it to the tune of wearing out 3, sets of tires.

As stated contact Remco.com and see what they say. Toyota has a history, I guess for liability reasons, for disallowing 4 down towing.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks All for The Info - Going for it

In addition to Grimesy & others, a disconnect dealer rep emailed me with same info; N trans, N TC, hook and go. He said no need to send him $1200+ for the parts and stuff - decent chap. My mechanic is working up the truck now to get it into great shape mechanically. Frame and body solid. Also has manual front hubs. Tks again, R

2008 Southwind 32VS WH22, '94 Toyota PU 4x4 5sp toad, Mickie, Rick n "Milly", Paddlers & Sm Boat Sailors, Washington NC
ricknriver is offline   Reply With Quote