Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
94 Volvo 960 as a toad

We've given up on making our '03 Sedona as either a dolly toad (too heavy combined) or a flat-toad (too expensive). I came across the car in the title of this post for a very reasonable price. It's rear-wheel drive and so a driveshaft disconnect would isolate the transmission.

Does anyone tow one of these four down?

I haven't started researching whether disconnects are around for this particular car. That's step 2.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I doubt if a drive shaft disconnect is any cheaper than a lube pump for the Sedona. You would still be looking at $1000 or so premium to tow it 4-down.

Nor does Remco Driveshaft Couplings appear to have any listing for a Volvo, but that could be a flaw in their website, since it wouldn't display anything for a Volvo.

Remco DriveShaft Coupling

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Look for a used trailer, stick shift or front drive car.
P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #4

My research on getting the Sedona to flat tow came out with about $3200 total. If I get a dolly that can handle a 4800-lb car, it's going to be about $2k and will push the combination maybe 350 lb above the hitch rating.

The toad HAS to be an auto tansmission. DW refuses to have anything to do with stick shifts, many of which are an ergonamic nightmare for someone her height. She's also very leery of "orphans" like the Saturns. I'd be happy with an LW300 which doesn't need to be modified at all for flat towing, except for aux brakes and the actual hitch gear.

This is still very much a project in the research phase. We've managed without a toad for the two seasons we've had our GT, but we're thinking we'd go to new places for longer this year.

I guess the ultimate back-up position is I drive the MH and she follows in the toad. Even a short-term rental is a problem with all the yellow Labrador hair that would be in the car when we gave it back!
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote