Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #1

97 Wrangler TJ stock bumper and Blue Ox Bolt on brackets

Is the stock bumper on my Wrangler beefy enough to use the $60 Blue-Ox bolt on brackets, will it require reinforcement or should I get a beefier bumper or complete assembly.

Budget conscious but safety aware!

Won't ever be rock crawling and require the mega-rock-a-tron 4000 MK][ bumper!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Is the stock bumper on my Wrangler beefy enough to use the $60 Blue-Ox bolt on brackets, will it require reinforcement or should I get a beefier bumper or complete assembly.

Chris
I've seen people weld tabs to a stock bumper to use for vehicle recovery.
and After I have seen the thickness of a stock bumper NO WAY would i do it.
If you shop around you can find a good bumper with proper tabs for not a lot of money. Nobody really sells a really bad bumper. I have never seen a after market one thinner than the walls of the frame.
I think my Warn bumper(no longer Made) has 3/4 inch thick tabs with 3/4 inch holes. and its 1/4 thick plate. I bought it used for $75
It doesn't get any easier than changing out a TJ bumper. THe bolt holes are 1/2 inch NC 13TPI thread if you need to get bolts.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I bolted the bracket to the bumper directly and have many miles on it. If you ever tried to drill into the stock bumper, you would find it made of very hard steel. I also made a backer plate for the grade 8 bolts. If you think about it, just how much weight is applied to the bumper? Not very much. The most is in acceleration and braking. The rest is almost nothing.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought Demco tow brackets for my 2008 Hummer H3. They exact fit where the stock tow hooks were. Two bolts each for bracket. Took me 10 mins. In total! Only cost $110 shipped... Talk about a happy camper!

You can probably retro fit the same brackets on to your bumper. I like the backing plate idea above to really secure it.
Good luck!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post

Chris
Chris,
Yes, you can bolt a set of tow bar brackets to that bumper. And yes, it is a bit on the thinner side but, with the correct "backing", it will work flawlessly. I know because I've done it on many different Jeep wranglers. If a person is going to "rock crawl" or do any other version of serious off roading then, most of the time, the front bumper is changed to suit the intended off road situations. Some incorporate winches and, many incorporate tow bar brackets.

We've towed both the stock "YJ" units with the stock bumper and TJ units with a stock bumper. I just added the backing that would spread the load behind them, and would inspect them on frequent occasions to see if metal fatigue was taking place. Not once did I ever see any. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox