Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you both that's kind of what I thought, after so many years of towing cars that belonged to others I've turned paranoid to being able to to say "yes your honor I towed it by the book" then back in the mid 80's flat bed tow trucks came along and made my life much simpler.

Knock on wood I've never been in front of a judge.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine has a lot of miles above 55. No problems. Usually don't hit 80 often but may have when passing,

I think is just a CYA but how would they ever know.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #17

I have been towing a 98 Explorer XLT 4X4 since 1997 without any problems what so ever at all speeds even up to 75MPH. The AWD vehicles are not towable 4 down.
Go at it and enjoy RVing.
85Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a '99 Explorer that I have towed for ten yrs. using the "neutral lockout" from Ford. Not one problem. The odometer does NOT turn when you tow. For the cost of $125, I am very pleased. So quick, easy and easy to go back to "drive" mode. My toad weighs 4360.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well Ford got it flashed today and it's supposed to be working, but since I don't have a light yet I can not tell. The procedure I have for turning it on is for a 02 with a push button switch which does not work for me.

I found another procedure but can not tell if it works or not, I had planned on using a multimeter to figure out which led I needed but I can't find the green connector mentioned as a plug under the dash at the steering column area. I don't even know if the 98 has a green plug!

Two questions
1) the correct procedure to activate for a 98?
2) does it in fact have a green connector or another point of hook up?
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Well Ford got it flashed today and it's supposed to be working, but since I don't have a light yet I can not tell. The procedure I have for turning it on is for a 02 with a push button switch which does not work for me.

I found another procedure but can not tell if it works or not, I had planned on using a multimeter to figure out which led I needed but I can't find the green connector mentioned as a plug under the dash at the steering column area. I don't even know if the 98 has a green plug!

Two questions
1) the correct procedure to activate for a 98?
2) does it in fact have a green connector or another point of hook up?

From Ford's NTK Instruction Sheet (PDF):

To shift the transfer case into neutral for towing:
  • Securely attach vehicle to towing vehicle.
  • Start the engine to make sute that the battery is sufficiently charged.
  • Vehicle must be at a complete stop and shifted into 4 X 4 AUTO.
  • Place the automatic transmission shifter into NEUTRAL.
  • Turn the ignition switch to the Off Position (i.e., Steering Not Locked).
  • Neutral tow light will initially go through a bulb check, then turn off.
  • Depress the brake pedal and press the 4 X 4 AUTO pushbutton; hold both for 5 seconds.
  • The neutral tow light will flash; then stay on to indicate the transfer case is in neutral.
  • Leave the ignition switch in the Off Position and the transmission shifter in NEUTRAL while the vehicle is in tow.

DO NOT DISCONNECT TOW VEHICLE BEFORE PLACING TRANSFER CASE INTO GEAR.

To Shift Transfer Case Out Of Neutral After Towing:
  • Make sure the vehicle is at a complete stop.
  • With the brake depressed, turn the ignition to ON (Not START).
  • The neutral tow light will turn off to indicate the transfer case is out of neutral.
  • Start the engine and shift the automatic transmission to DRIVE to make sure the vehicle is out of neutral.
  • If the battery is low/dead or the vehicle does not shift out of neutral set the parking brake until the vehicle can be serviced.

1L24-7E385-FA

I've attached the Ford Instruction Sheet (PDF File). It also shows the approximate location of that mysterious connector you're looking for. From the picture, I would say it is above and slightly to the right of the gas pedal. I've also been told (and don't know for sure) that when you go through the procedure (above) to shift the transfer case into neutral, you can hear two distinct "Clicks."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Explorer Neutral Tow 1-23-06[1].pdf (1.36 MB, 25 views)
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you again John, I did get that file downloaded and in fact that's what I took to Ford. My 98 has a turn switch rather than the push button one as found in the 01.

I thought I would be able to hear the clicks or as I read elsewhere the motors whine when activated but could not.

I dropped the panel under the steering and the only empty connection under it anywhere (but in the general area as picture) is a gray one attached to the steering column support (it's also the same general shape as in the illustration).

When I put a digital meter on that pin it shows the same power level all the time during the sequence you posted as well as another one I found that appears to be more in line with the system I have where you just put it in neutral running then while stepping on the brake you turn it off to the first accessory position while watching the LED. I originally planned on using the multi-meter to substitute for the LED then try some educated guesses at what size LED light to use.

I have two wrecked of Explorers of this vintage behind the shop that I'm going to completely tear that portion of the wire harness apart tomorrow if it quits down pouring out like it did today.

Again thank you for the information and effort.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #22

If yah can, please take & post some digital pics of that tear down, especially if you find the correct connector.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Click on any picture for a larger view, unfortunately they do not show very much at this point in time.

See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I finally got around to seeing if the Ford flash worked and it did, I checked it by driving up the hill beside my house for just over .3 miles then turned around and following the procedure posted above I set it in neutral and let it roll down the hill (leaving the key off and lever in neutral) and let it roll to the bottom with no change in my odometer reading.

I did not hear any noise while it was shifting either but that would not be the only noise I can no longer hear even if it's actually there

See My RV Upgrades