Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question 98 Explorer Odometer Question

I've got a ton of information here using search about the "Neutral Tow Switch" and will be checking my local Ford dealer tomorrow to see if they can flash the computer once it's installed but to be honest I don't hold much hope for them.

I have not been able to find the answer to my question and I'm positive I know the answer already but
strike one to me is the weight of the Explorer Sport 4X4,
strike two is the cost of a new tow bar for it,
and strike three is I don't want to be recording miles on the odometer while it's being towed which brings me to my question does it in fact record the mileages while being towed?

My second question would be to clarify that digital odometers of other make vehicles would not record miles as long as the ignition switch was shut off while in tow.

I did a test pull of the Sport last week to Green Bay with it on a tandem axle trailer with the unit being right at my max 5000lb tow capacity and lets just say I'm not really happy with the results of that run.

I do have a commercial grade fairly new tow dolly also but I'd rather not have to use either it or the trailer versus a new Blue Ox and unfortunately buying a different vehicle to tow then spend it's time sitting around doing nothing in between trips.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
strike three is I don't want to be recording miles on the odometer while it's being towed which brings me to my question does it in fact record the mileages while being towed?

My second question would be to clarify that digital odometers of other make vehicles would not record miles as long as the ignition switch was shut off while in tow.
Mileage is not recorded.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you that's at least a welcome surprise.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow an '06 explorer. Been through some really tough mountain passes and yes the MH slows down some on hills but did the same thing towing a Saturn. I really like is as I have plenty of comfort when driving the toad.

As for your questions.
1- my Explorer weighs about 4500#, so under my 5k limit
2- Tow bar and Ready brake system cost about $2000 installed, easy to use, and set up.
3- Does not record miles when towing.

I have heard a few months back that supply on new NTK's was limited but if you can get one, any Ford dealer can program the computer if they want to. Their tech can call and get instructions from Ford. Mine did. I had someone else ask where I got mine done and his tech called my tech and got him going.

Good luck and if I can help more just let me know.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
the MH slows down some on hills but did the same thing towing a Saturn. I really like is as I have plenty of comfort when driving the toad.
Good luck and if I can help more just let me know.
Thank you that was very useful, I checked my Ford dealer today and the kit as posted by many others is obsolete from them but they can flash it once it's installed so I guess I'll just dig one up from the forum, there certainly has been ample leads posted here as to where to get one.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i got a NTK through ford for 97 explorer .... My dealer didnt have one but he checked the national dealer network and hooked me up with a dealer out of state that had one.......... It was a whopping 16 dollars and it cost me more to ship it............. Never had it installed yet because i just picked up a 99 chevy metro with tow bar and supplement brake system for less than what it would cost to get the explorer setup to tow and the metro only weighs 1800 pounds and is good enough to run around in when needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Snag time my 97 Sport is a 4X4 while the 98 I wanted to use is a AWD which the kit is not supposed to work on. I've had both of these for a few years now and drive the 98 all the time and never really noticed the difference.

I've got a work ticket in with Ford Motor Co. to verify by VIN if it will really work or not.

The Terrible Twins, they make really good service vehicles for jump starts, tire changes, and lockouts.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well Ford says mine is 4X4 not AWD so all I need to do now is find one to buy and try. I tried placing a "Wanted To Buy" ad in the proper forum but that did not seem to work too well
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
John,

I had a 98 Explorer Sport and towed it for about 3 years including a long trip to Alaska (left the MH in Fairbanks and took the Explorer up to the North Slope) and it worked perfect. Neutral Switch, M&G Brake System, and RoadMaster Tow Bar all worked well but I updated my vehicle now to a Ford Escape which is a little lighter but not really any apparent difference. Sport was 4 wheel not AWD, no mileage recorded and I do have some concerns about the Escape AWD but hopefully Ford has resolved the problems.

Also, John & Kathy
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Well Ford says mine is 4X4 not AWD so all I need to do now is find one to buy and try. I tried placing a "Wanted To Buy" ad in the proper forum but that did not seem to work too well
You "May Have To Join" my Safari Motorhome Yahoo users group, but it will be worth your while, because the last 3 downloadable PDF files in this link ( http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...wing%20Guides/ ) are exactly what you are looking for. They not only explain (to a Ford Dealer) how to re-program the vehicle's ECM to be able to shift the transfer case to neutral. You can go to any Radio shack store and get the LED Idiot light and connectors to built your own NTK. And it has the "Instructions" for a vehicle owner to go through a "Procedure" to shift and verify True Neutral. It was either here at IRV2 or over at www.rv.net that had a gentleman that obtained the Ford PDF's, and he even explained the materials and installation of the Radio Shack Kit.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
John,

I had a 98 Explorer Sport and towed it for about 3 years including a long trip to Alaska (left the MH in Fairbanks and took the Explorer up to the North Slope) and it worked perfect. Neutral Switch, M&G Brake System, and RoadMaster Tow Bar all worked well but I updated my vehicle now to a Ford Escape which is a little lighter but not really any apparent difference. Sport was 4 wheel not AWD, no mileage recorded and I do have some concerns about the Escape AWD but hopefully Ford has resolved the problems.

Also, John & Kathy

Thank you that's good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
You "May Have To Join" my Safari Motorhome Yahoo users group, but it will be worth your while, because the last 3 downloadable PDF files in this link ( http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...wing%20Guides/ ) are exactly what you are looking for. They not only explain (to a Ford Dealer) how to re-program the vehicle's ECM to be able to shift the transfer case to neutral. You can go to any Radio shack store and get the LED Idiot light and connectors to built your own NTK. And it has the "Instructions" for a vehicle owner to go through a "Procedure" to shift and verify True Neutral. It was either here at IRV2 or over at www.rv.net that had a gentleman that obtained the Ford PDF's, and he even explained the materials and installation of the Radio Shack Kit.
Membership pending, this sounds like it should take care of the problem, I'll let you know.
Thank you
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I've got that all down pat but now I'm concerned about the "55mph" limit showing for a tow speed and wondering how much of that was CYA on Ford's part.

I'm not set on driving any particular speed but having another 55mph imposed upon me won't go over any better than when Uncle Sam did it
See My RV Upgrades
Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Well I've got that all down pat but now I'm concerned about the "55mph" limit showing for a tow speed and wondering how much of that was CYA on Ford's part.

I'm not set on driving any particular speed but having another 55mph imposed upon me won't go over any better than when Uncle Sam did it
I think all of the (Toad) manufacturer's are CYA'ing on that 55mph, most have that limit. Even the manual trans TOAD have that silly restriction. Especially when the "Sweet Spot" on my Cat Motor is around 62 - 65mph.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
JohnRR,

I don't remember any 55mph limit on my 98 Explorer Sport and regularly towed at 60 with an occasional 65 or so down hill.
My current Ford Escape is limited to 65mph.

John & Kathy

JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote