Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

A little bigger toad

Howdy folks,

I'm new to this motorhome thing and having to soak up all I can on the fly. I just picked up an '07 HR Ambassador a couple of weeks ago to use for work travel. Took the family to Michigan for a week and a half or so to vacation before my new job starts. The little 330 Cummins pulled like a champ without anything behind it. Kind of surprised me from what I'd read about it.

Now what I'm up against is how to move my work truck with me behind the motorhome. I have an '04 Dodge 3500 4x4 crew cab dually w/auto tranny that I need to take with me. I can't find a car hauler trailer wide enough to load it on and the dealer tells me not to flat tow it without dropping the driveshafts. That's not likely to happen just for the sheer PIA of it. As soon as I get some cash flowing I might look into a 3/4 ton w/manual transmission to drag around, but for now the tonner is what I have. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have never seen anyone tow a 1 ton dually pickup behind the MH. It's too big. I have seen huge SUV's being towed. There is no reasonable trailer open or enclosed that will work.

There are actually trailers that you can pull the dually up on. The outter duals will hang over the edge. There are some trailers that will fit the whole thing on the bed.

Call Gary at http://www.montrosetrailers.com/contact.php

He makes custom trailers that will work and can give you some advice.

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Batman. I know my hitch is rated for 10K, or so they say. The truck is probably sitting at 7300-7500 right now, though I could take some tanks and boxes out of the back. What I think I'm going to have to do is find or build an aluminum low deck dovetail trailer. I haven't had time to sit down and do all the pencil pushing, but I know a little can go a long way if you're on your game. The coach feels like it could handle it without any problems. Especially with brakes on both trailer axles.

On the other hand, I could try and convince the Esposita that I need a Foretravel Phoenix for the towing capacity.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
The work truck will weigh the same if flat towed or on a trailer .. Are you sure you cannot flat tow the dually ?? most 4x4 with a neutral in the transfer case can be towed.
That is going to be a load though.
I vote for the foretravel !!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #5

Phranc, I second the motion on the Foretravel, but SigOt says they is going to have to be a serious promotion before that happens. LOL

I have a twenty foot tongue pull deckover that I've put between three or four tons of hay on behind the tonner. I'm just concerned that the combined gross with the truck on it would be a little too much. If I get a chance this afternoon I'll run the both of 'em across the scales and see what they say.

I contacted that Montrose outfit Batman sent me to see about having a trailer built. Seems to me that a trailer wide enough for the dually wouldn't be any wider than the coach, but I haven't whupped out the tape on it.

I had my misgivings about the electronic transfer case when I bought the truck but it has never failed to function. Problem is it doesn't have a neutral notch like the old hand pull Borg Warners. Wonder who it is that had the audacity to call that progress!?!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You've probably already considered this, but wouldn't it be simpler just to have someone else drive the truck until you come up with a better toad.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I hope it works out for you Sounds like there is a solution.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #8

Thanks Batman. Things always find a way of sorting themselves out. Just takes a little while sometimes.

Luckily, right now I'm working three and a half hours from the house so Nicks suggestion is in play. The company I work for is all over North America and they could send me anywhere from Washington to Georgia, up and down side to side. I love this job so figuring out how to move a truck is just a minor I convenience. Heck, I'd saddle up my old dunn horse or saddle mule just to do this!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I too am surprised the dealer said do not flat tow. As far as I know, Dodge 4x4 trucks are towable with the manual transfer case in neutral. You may want to check another source, and your owner manual should have some info on this subject too. Look under towing or dinghy towing or recreational towing.

You need a 10,000 lb tow bar like the Blue Ox Aventa and you need tow brakes as well. You definitely do not want 7500 lbs of unbraked toad pushing you around when you [try to] stop.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad