Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
A question about how to remove diesel residue from toad windshield

Hi everyone:
We have pretty much ironed out all the wrinkles in our tow dolly and car situation but I have a new question.
I was washing my car when we returned from our last trip and I noticed that the windshield was peppered with some kind of residue that I can only think comes from the diesel exhaust. We have tried regular window cleaner and that doesn't even touch it. Do you long time towers have any suggestions on what to use to remove this, if possible? It's not so bad except when you look out at certain angles. Thanks for all your tips. They have really helped us with our travels. We now have new straps for the wheels that are 100% easier to put on, anchored our safety chains and adjusted our tow ball so the ramps don't slide out from underneath the dolly.

Mary & Pat
2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
2013 Ford C-Max Energi
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

You could use a single edge razor blade on just on tiny bit of the residue. I'm thinking that your windshield glass is pitted and what you see is not on the surface.

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
If it is a filmy residue and won't readily wash off try some Coca Cola on a rag followed immediately with vinegar and water. Don't get any Coke on the paint.

Is this same residue present on the sides of your coach? Is it present on the engine access door on the rear of the coach?

The point I'm getting at is if it's present on either side of the coach then it's something that was likely emitted from a passing vehicle or one that you passed. However, if it's present on the engine access door take a look at the inside of the door and the engine, itself. If you have a cracked fuel injector line (not that uncommon) or even a minor diesel fuel leak, the leaking fuel will become a mist and leave a film on anything that passes close by.
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Appalachian Campers
Are you sure it is diesel? If the engine breather is vented toward the center of the rear of the coach it may be oil blow by from the engine vent pipe. Either way, a good soap solution will remove it. Don't get bent over little things and make them more complicated than they are.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
0000 Steel wool and window cleaner. Cleans without scratching like a razor blade can.
2014 King Aire 4593
24' Stacker w/toys = 75' of fun
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Either way, doc, she is dealing with a petroleum based residue. Her first concern was removing it from the windshield. She already stated that soap and water wasn't doing the job. I addressed that from personal experience. That leads me to believe she is dealing with diesel fuel residue. After removing it from the towed my next order of business would be to determine where it came from, wouldn't yours? If it came from a passing vehicle then no harm, no foul. But, if it came from my own coach, I would want to know about it. There is never any harm in lifting the engine access door and taking a peek inside. We should all be doing that regularly anyway.
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
The Gal that was cleaning the out side of our new MH was cleaning the Big
Front Window and I ask her what you clean it with she told me to get
a Window Scrapper and just lightly scrape off debris, and use one of those
good window cloth's So I'm sure that would wk good for your Car.
that's what I'm going to do.

Endeavor 2013
Join 09/2010
Location Henry,Ga
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, toad