RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
About ready to pull the trigger on a Ford Edge

We are about to purchase a 2015 Ford Edge to be used as a toad next year when we get our MH. I've read through some of the posts here and it seems like a good choice for us. It will have the V6 engine. Any comments or warnings about this car are appreciated!

12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #2

Did you check with the manufacturer about whether or not it can be flat towed, or will it need to be on a trailer or dolly?
Alternately, you can check the 2015 Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Guide to see if it's towable 4 down. I had a quick look, but didn't see it listed. Maybe I missed it.

Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Did you check with the manufacturer about whether or not it can be flat towed, or will it need to be on a trailer or dolly?
Alternately, you can check the 2015 Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Guide to see if it's towable 4 down. I had a quick look, but didn't see it listed. Maybe I missed it.

Yes, I checked with the dinghy guide and the owner's guide and the Edge with the V6 is towable 4 down.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Iíve got a 2016 Edge as my daily driver, bought new a couple years ago. I donít tow, so I canít advise there. As a daily driver, itís been a good ride. Decent mpg (I also have the V6), rock solid in the snow, and the 4 of us can pile in and be comfy.

Only thing I would definitely check:

1. Squeaks and rattles. Iíve had some issues here, both in the rear area as well as the front center console. Not a deal killer, but for what Ford charges for these disappointing.

2. Tires. Mine came with the stock Pirelli tires, and I run full snows in the winter. Pirellis have probably 25K-30K on them and are toast, wonít pass inspection next year. So if the one you are looking at has them, plan accordingly for tires in your budget.

3. Brake ďgrabĒ. There is a known issue with a limited run of Edges in the late 2015 and early 2016 runs with the brake booster. In certain cool (around 30 degrees) and damp conditions, when you first use the car, no matter how hard or soft you push on the pedal, the brakes will lock up like you put the pedal to the floor. It goes away after a few min, but when you are driving in the snow, can be downright dangerous. There is no recall for this, but there is a TSB our for it and Ford will replace the Brake Booster for free if it has the symptoms.

4. If you can, drive at night. I have the HID upgraded headlights, and in the dark if raining, not impressed at all.

Aside from the above, itís been a rock solid set of wheels, Iíd buy again. (But not from the dealer, thatís a whole different post).

There is a Ford Edge forum out there, not nearly as actovebas this one but does have some info.
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #5

I have a 2013 Edge AWD as my daily driver and toad. It tows great and gets decent fuel mileage. Only complaint I have is a vibration between 50 and 60 mph. I plan to take in to get that checked out next week. I agree that it seems to be a solid ride.

FYI, no matter what I drive at night in the rain, visibility is terrible. Just getting too old for that I guess.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #6

We tow a 2017 3.5L V6 SEL Edge. It went straight from the Ford dealership to Golden Gait Trailer to be set up for towing. We used the Blue Ox base plate, diode light wiring, and tow bar. Breaking is the SMI system with the Edge required battery disconnect switch. Very neat installation and my wife loves the Edge as her daily driver. I talked her out of a 3 series BMW into an Edge for this dual purpose. It is a simple procedure to set up for towing and to date “0” issues. When we’re RVing, it’s a very comfortable vehicle to use for travel and exploring.
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Pull a 2017 Edge Titanium 3.5AWD and am very happy with it. Neg battery must be disconnected to tow. Do IT ! Lights on the Titanium easy. SEL seem to have some problems as you will find here. Check with HWCjr above for light set up.
Overall great all round toad.

jim
Old 08-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfinder View Post
Pull a 2017 Edge Titanium 3.5AWD and am very happy with it. Neg battery must be disconnected to tow. Do IT ! Lights on the Titanium easy. SEL seem to have some problems as you will find here. Check with HWCjr above for light set up.

jim

Thank you all for your insight!

We are planning on getting the Sport model with the 2.7 V6.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCJr View Post
We tow a 2017 3.5L V6 SEL Edge. It went straight from the Ford dealership to Golden Gait Trailer to be set up for towing. We used the Blue Ox base plate, diode light wiring, and tow bar. Breaking is the SMI system with the Edge required battery disconnect switch. Very neat installation and my wife loves the Edge as her daily driver. I talked her out of a 3 series BMW into an Edge for this dual purpose. It is a simple procedure to set up for towing and to date ď0Ē issues. When weíre RVing, itís a very comfortable vehicle to use for travel and exploring.

Thanks for buying American.
regards
Mike
on safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:

jim
Afternoon all. I cannot tell you what Blue Ox wiring kit our installer, Golden Gait Trailer Concord NC, used. The paperwork is in the coach in storage. I do know that during the process they had conversations and directions from Blue Ox and as a result the lighting has been flawless. Golden Gait also did a 2018 Edge for another Newmar owner just resently and their system is also working fine. I apologize for not being able to provide specific information. Safe travels.
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Now that we know you are looking at a 'Sport' model, I can tell you to look into a Hopkins HM56011 module for the lights. Edge Titanium and Sport models seem to have the same tail lights. It appears that the SEL model tail lights look the same but the outer red band doesn't light up.

Don't take my word for it, make sure you do your homework.

jim
Old 09-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you everyone for your input!

We ended up buying a 2016 Edge Sport. Our next step will be finding the right MH to tow it.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:

jim
Hi..We've been towing a 2016 Ford Edge AWD, which us flat towable without any issues until recently. Three times now when making a left turn the toad sways back and forth. After we slow down to almost stopped the wobble goes away and we continue on without further issues. I have not been disconnecting the neg wire from the battery, but haven't experienced any issues until recently.
Do you know why the neg wire should be disconnected?
Roada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roada View Post
Hi..We've been towing a 2016 Ford Edge AWD, which us flat towable without any issues until recently. Three times now when making a left turn the toad sways back and forth. After we slow down to almost stopped the wobble goes away and we continue on without further issues. I have not been disconnecting the neg wire from the battery, but haven't experienced any issues until recently.
Do you know why the neg wire should be disconnected?
Most recommend disconnecting the battery if there is electric steering involved. It seems that the electric steering remains on all the time when it is connected to the battery and as such tries to correct when certain conditions arise.
Do some searches on the "death wobble". It seems (or seemed) to mainly predominant in the Jeep Cherokee line, but others have had problems. There are several discussions on this on different forums.

Why it doesn't happen all the time I don't know - maybe speed, road conditions etc. For my 2018 Edge I do disconnect the battery as recommended by Ford and have no wobble. My 2013 Edge did not require this and towed great.

Chris

cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford