Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #15
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
You need to READ your owners manual. It clearly states that the ignition switch must be in the ON position. The ON position unlocks the electric steering. Hope you haven't done any harm so far.
Leaving the key in the ignition switch, in the OFF position only unlocks the steering wheel, NOT the steering, which MUST be unlocked so the Subi can track behind your rig.

For info that has changed from my 2013 Subi, in which the owners manual states the ignition switch must be in the "acc" position.
I need some more clarification on this. I have towed my 2016 Forester about 500 miles so far with the key in the off position. I watched carefully when I made my first corner to make sure the front wheels turned, and the car tracked well while driving down the highway. No damage as of yet as far as I know.

My reading of the 2016 manual tells me that the steering and braking will be difficult without the engine running. I see nothing about the power steering being unlocked in the acc. position. Also, with the car sitting still and the key in the off position, I can turn the steering wheel as far to the left and right as it will go with the wheels also pivoting. When I put the key in the acc. position and engine not running, the steering does not become easier.

Remo says the manual transmission Forester is towable with no restrictions. I have consulted other websites where this discussion is taking place and found others who are towing with the ignition in the off position with the key left in the ignition. Also one cannot take the key out, locking the steering, and then place the key back in the ignition and assume the steering is unlocked. In that case you have to turn the ignition on and then back to the off position.

I thank you for your response because it has caused me to do some more checking and testing. I certainly don't want to do damage because I do understand that my warranty may have been voided by towing the car behind a motor home. I hope that others may offer opinions and practices regarding this subject. I would also share that I used to tow a VW New Beetle with manual transmission and left the ignition in the off position with the key left in the ignition like I am wanting to do with the Forester. In both vehicles the steering does not lock until the key is removed from the ignition. The only difference is that the VW had the traditional power steering pump while the Foresters now have electric power steering.

slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #16
The info about flat towing a 2016 Subi Forester is on page 9-17 of your owners manual.
Yes, key in ignition switch will unlock the wheel, but the Subi Forester has and electronic steering set up that apparently needs to be on to tow it safely. Only way to turn it on is to turn the ignition switch on.
Not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn'd do, but your owners manual is telling you the proper procedure.
But hay, it's your Subi...do as you feel comfortable.

Steve & Cheryl + Charlie & Casey, our furry kids.
2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
2013 Subaru Crosstrek toad
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I recall when Subaru changed their warranty, I think that was 2013.

In our Subie, there was a little detent just before OFF that would leave the steering wheel unlocked. It wasn't marked on the column, but you could feel it.

ALWAYS check that the steering wheel can move.... ask me how I know..
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #18
Things, data, and manuals change. My 2013 Subi Crosstrek, manual trans, owners manual clearly states for flat towing of the vehicle, the ignition switch must be in the "acc" position.
2016 Subi's apparently now need the ignition switch in the "on" position, as stated in the 2016 manuals.

Steve & Cheryl + Charlie & Casey, our furry kids.
2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
2013 Subaru Crosstrek toad
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

toad, tow