Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

About to pull Trigger on Toad & tow package

Hi all,

New member , very close to pulling trigger on toad & tow equip. Thinking about a new 2016 Subaru Forester . Towing 4 wheels on the ground with 2016 Tiffin Phaeton QBH 40..

Blue Ox & Air force 1 tow equipment

Any comments welcomed..

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I looked at '16 Subarus. From what I read they are not flat towable. Well, not if you want it covered under warranty. I wanted my warranty in tact so I chose my Focus. The Edge is and more along the size of a Forrester

Old 07-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited using the Blue Ox Aventa LX and AF-1 braking system. It really is a nice setup.

RV geeks just posted a video not too long ago exclaiming the virtues of their new Roadmaster tow bar. It has a non-binding design... I believe the Avail does as well. We occasionally get a little binding with the Aventa.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Subaru Dealer is offering this Forster with manual Transmission as OK to TOW 4 wheels on Ground , My Dealer and blue OX Also OK, so I think I have my bases covered but appreciate your feedback
Old 07-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

IMO you've chosen wisely and should be very pleased with the performance of the Subaru and BlueOx. BlueOx customer service is top tier.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If it doesn't say that it is towable in the manual, I'd be very cautious about accepting a dealer at his word. In other words if it isn't in writing I'd pass.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Google Ready Brute Elite. Have a look, easier for me to have integrated surge brake.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #8

We tow a 2013 Subi Crosstrek, and have for almost 12,000 miles.
The 2016 Subi's with a manual trans are no different from earlier 2013-2015 models. Entire drive train is the same.
The reason Subi no longer recommends that the manual trans Subi's be flat towed is because they have had to replace, under warranty, trans and transaxle's due to OWNERS STUPIDITY, not thru any fault of the vehicle.
Seems that a lot of owners forget to put the ignition switch in the "acc" position which unlocks the steering. Off they go towing a veh with a locked steering system, doing mucho damage.
Of course, owner then goes to his Subi dealer with a wide eyed look, swaring the ignition was "unlocked". No way to prove or disprove, so Subi warranties it.
By stating in the owners manual that it should not be towed 4 down, it gets them out of a false "warranty" claim.
You could always look for a mildly used 2015 Subi Forrester and have no worries towing 4 down, as it would still be covered by the warranty.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #9

Flat towing is the way to go. I tow a 2007 CRV using a Blue Ox tow bar system. No complaints however I just saw a review by RV Geeks on YouTube that you might want to check out before buying one.
dfwm_newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:35 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dou View Post
Subaru Dealer is offering this Forster with manual Transmission as OK to TOW 4 wheels on Ground , My Dealer and blue OX Also OK, so I think I have my bases covered but appreciate your feedback
Please check the manual. Well, that is if you want the warranty. Dealer is a salesperson. Never trust a salesperson. Always go by what is in writing from the manufacturer.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #11

On my 2016 Forester I leave the ignition off and Leave The Key in the ignition. The steering does not lock until the key is removed. You do need to run a 12 volt line from the battery to the interior of the car to power the braking system of choice.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
On my 2016 Forester I leave the ignition off and Leave The Key in the ignition. The steering does not lock until the key is removed. You do need to run a 12 volt line from the battery to the interior of the car to power the braking system of choice.
You need to READ your owners manual. It clearly states that the ignition switch must be in the ON position. The ON position unlocks the electric steering. Hope you haven't done any harm so far.
Leaving the key in the ignition switch, in the OFF position only unlocks the steering wheel, NOT the steering, which MUST be unlocked so the Subi can track behind your rig.

For info that has changed from my 2013 Subi, in which the owners manual states the ignition switch must be in the "acc" position.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
We tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited using the Blue Ox Aventa LX and AF-1 braking system. It really is a nice setup.

RV geeks just posted a video not too long ago exclaiming the virtues of their new Roadmaster tow bar. It has a non-binding design... I believe the Avail does as well. We occasionally get a little binding with the Aventa.
X2 on the Jeep and Blue Ox Aventa
Old 07-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #14

Jeep Wranglers with transfer cases are made to flat tow. Plus you will have more options when camping to see and do things. A Forester is a low ground clearance car no more no less, a Wrangler on the other hand has more possibilities for you to have fun with real 4 wheel drive.

I have owned both a Forester in my past and Jeeps, I still own the Jeeps not the Forester.

Tags
toad, tow