Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
About towing a 2007 Jeep Liberty

We are about to tow our Liberty in a couple of weeks. How do you keep the steering wheel from locking. The owners manual does not seem to mention this.

Is this correct procedure?

(Put transfer case in neutral and gear in park, turn the ignition key 1 click forward and your ready to tow.)

RVBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #2

I bought a valet key for the ignition. I turn the key to where the instruments light up on dash then turn key one turn back. After doing this you can turn steering wheel and wheels will turn. You will have to lock doors with real ignition key, because lock switch on door won't work with key in ignition. Check out Roadmaster towing systems. I've been tow my 2007 Liberty this way since 2008 without any trouble, if I followed all the instructions. (I have left emergency brake on once for a little ways and didn't unlock steering wheel once till someone waved at me) Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
... turn the key to where the instruments light up on dash then turn key one turn back. After doing this you can turn steering wheel and wheels will turn. You will have to lock doors with real ignition key, because lock switch on door won't work with key in ignition....
You have to remember to turn it back so you don't run your battery down because the instrument panel lights are on. We just turn ours 1 click (2 clicks=the instrument lights/dash fan comes on, 3 clicks starts it)

We had a "dummy" key made just for putting in the ignition for towing. It's just a std key - no programmed fob. This way, should someone, somehow, get it unhooked from the tow bars, jimmy the door lock & try to steal the Jeep, they won't be able to. The dummy key will start the Jeep, but without the programmed fob, the computer doesn't recognize it & the engine shuts down within a few seconds. All the dummy key is good for is unlocking the steering column to tow.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you all for excellent response! Looking forward to our first RV trip with the Jeep.
RVBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #5

We have an 06 and I turn the switch all the way forward to the run position and then turnip one click back the dash lights will go off and you will be ready to tow.

Tags
tow, towing