Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #1

OK, I've read all of the threads related to the towing procedure for the Acadia. We'd like to buy one to tow, but I need to find out if it is going to be possible for me to find someone to install an in-cabin 50 amp fuse switch like you all have been discussing.

I know that for many of you it is really easy to do that type of job, but I may as well try to build a rocket ship. I'm good at many things, but electricity and mechanical stuff isn't on the list.

What type of service person do I need to find? A tech at the dealership? Someone at an auto repair facility?

So far, it is the car of choice, but I'd really like to simplify the procedure. We now tow an '04 Trailblazer, and I'm tired of getting dirty pulling the fuse.

Thanks,
Bob
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #2

OK, I've read all of the threads related to the towing procedure for the Acadia. We'd like to buy one to tow, but I need to find out if it is going to be possible for me to find someone to install an in-cabin 50 amp fuse switch like you all have been discussing.

I know that for many of you it is really easy to do that type of job, but I may as well try to build a rocket ship. I'm good at many things, but electricity and mechanical stuff isn't on the list.

What type of service person do I need to find? A tech at the dealership? Someone at an auto repair facility?

So far, it is the car of choice, but I'd really like to simplify the procedure. We now tow an '04 Trailblazer, and I'm tired of getting dirty pulling the fuse.

Thanks,
Bob
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A tech at a dealership might do it - depends on the tech and the dealer (may not want to do mods that could incur liability). Most dealers will send you elsewhere, to an auto electric or trailer hitch shop for this sort of thing.

Personally I would try an automotive electric shop - most cities have a place that is dedicated to that sort of thing. They are most likely to do a proper electrical job, i.e. the proper gauge wire, an appropriately rated switch, protective shielding/insulation where it passes through metal, etc. This is a major power circuit - a 50A load is not something to fool around with.

I mounted my switch under the hood, up near the fuse box by the firewall. This was a temporary measure until I had time to find a path into the cabin, but my wife now says "don't bother". Popping the hood and flipping the switch is so easy she doesn't mind it a bit (and she does it 99% of the time).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
A tech at a dealership might do it - depends on the tech and the dealer (may not want to do mods that could incur liability). Most dealers will send you elsewhere, to an auto electric or trailer hitch shop for this sort of thing.

Personally I would try an automotive electric shop - most cities have a place that is dedicated to that sort of thing. They are most likely to do a proper electrical job, i.e. the proper gauge wire, an appropriately rated switch, protective shielding/insulation where it passes through metal, etc. This is a major power circuit - a 50A load is not something to fool around with.

I mounted my switch under the hood, up near the fuse box by the firewall. This was a temporary measure until I had time to find a path into the cabin, but my wife now says "don't bother". Popping the hood and flipping the switch is so easy she doesn't mind it a bit (and she does it 99% of the time). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gary, I have a question. By pulling the 50 amp switch, does that kill power to the cigarette lighter that I use to plug in my Break Buddy? We are leaving in a few weeks for Disney and I am wondering if I am going to have to find another option for providing power to the Break Buddy. Thanks for your help.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it kills just about all power on the dash and console. Outlets, lights, power door locks, radio, clock, etc. I haven't checked all my several aux outlets but I assume they are probably all dead.

I would suggest rigging a power line from the coach to operate the Brake Buddy - or run a separate power line direct to the battery or the under-hood power block (the same one that provides power to the 50A fuse). There is a hot lead and a ground terminal under the hood, adjacent to the fuse box and you can tie in there.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote