Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #1

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice in setting up our '08 Acadia for towing. Thought I'd give you an update:
1. Coral Ridge RV in Punta Gorda, FL. installed the Blue Ox baseplate. I already had an Aventa LX. Seems to have done a good job, including the wiring, etc. They are Roadmaster dealers, so the procedure was familiar.
2. They also installed the SMI Air Force One. They are M&G dealers, so were familiar with the basics. In their opinion the SMI was significantly more complicated to install - more plumbing and wiring required.
3. Picked it up and everything worked fine right out of the box. The Acadia requires a separate wire/light installed in the coach to indicate when the brakes have been applied. Coral Ridge did a nice job, installing the small light on the control panel in our '07 DSDP.
4. Here's what I learned when I unhooked for the first time - be sure and install the dummy plug into the breakaway control box. Forgot to do that. My wife got in to drive from the campground office to the campsite and could barely get the car to move. Without the dummy plug the system was trying to use the reserve air tank to apply the brakes. No damage done, just a DW who hopped out of the car and said "you drive, it's broken!" The good news was that I called SMI at 4:30 on the Friday before Christmas and someone answered the phone and diagnosed my problem. Great service.
5. I'm pulling the 50amp Batt 1 fuse and did not have any battery drain problems. Coral Ridge was reluctant to wire in a switch since the car is still in warranty, so I'll pull the fuse for now.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks again for all of the help and suggestions.

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #2

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice in setting up our '08 Acadia for towing. Thought I'd give you an update:
1. Coral Ridge RV in Punta Gorda, FL. installed the Blue Ox baseplate. I already had an Aventa LX. Seems to have done a good job, including the wiring, etc. They are Roadmaster dealers, so the procedure was familiar.
2. They also installed the SMI Air Force One. They are M&G dealers, so were familiar with the basics. In their opinion the SMI was significantly more complicated to install - more plumbing and wiring required.
3. Picked it up and everything worked fine right out of the box. The Acadia requires a separate wire/light installed in the coach to indicate when the brakes have been applied. Coral Ridge did a nice job, installing the small light on the control panel in our '07 DSDP.
4. Here's what I learned when I unhooked for the first time - be sure and install the dummy plug into the breakaway control box. Forgot to do that. My wife got in to drive from the campground office to the campsite and could barely get the car to move. Without the dummy plug the system was trying to use the reserve air tank to apply the brakes. No damage done, just a DW who hopped out of the car and said "you drive, it's broken!" The good news was that I called SMI at 4:30 on the Friday before Christmas and someone answered the phone and diagnosed my problem. Great service.
5. I'm pulling the 50amp Batt 1 fuse and did not have any battery drain problems. Coral Ridge was reluctant to wire in a switch since the car is still in warranty, so I'll pull the fuse for now.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks again for all of the help and suggestions.

Estero, FL
Old 12-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
cwg

Bob, I have a question as I also have an 08 Acadia and an Air Force One braking system installed by SMI.

My mileage accumulates when I have the fuse intact (I tried it after having the Toad Charge system installed by my dealer) Unless I have the #1 battery fuse pulled, the miles run up. RV Roamer(Gary) and others state that the miles should not accumulate on the odometer in the Accessory key position. GM also told my car dealer it should not rack up miles... they wanted me to tow with no wiring connected from the motorhome to the Acadia which I did. It still runs up miles.

To further test their statement that there should be not problem without pulling the fuse (if provisions are made to charge the Acadia battery while towing so as to prevent battery discharge) I had a friend with a brand new Acadia this week ( his dealer installed his old US Gear auxillary braking system on the auto) tow in the accessory position following the recommended towing procedure,but his Acadia also accumulated mileage. So either several sources are incorrect including General Motors, or the only solution has to be to pull the #1 battery fuse. Several of us are going to have a switch installed as suggested by Gary and others in order to avoid pulling the fuse. (Or battery brain, etc.)

It would be interesting to see if your rig also runs up miles in the accessory position. I am wondering if the 08's have something different which results in the discrepency.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #4

CWG,
I didn't notice, but I'll check when I tow back to home tomorrow.
Bob

Estero, FL
Old 12-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
cwg

Thanks. I am talking about if you leave the fuse in ... just want to make sure we are on the same page. You might just try it for a short distance; I don't know how far you have to go, but I wouldn't want you to rack up a bunch of miles.

I recently heard from an rv dealer last week that one of their customers had made a 3500 mile trip this fall and all the while his milage accumulated because he did not know that he needed to pull a fuse.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 AM   #6

CWG,
Forgot to try towing without the fuse pulled. Very sorry, just got involved in a couple of family phone calls right before we left and simply didn't remember.

As you already know, it does not record mileage with the fuse pulled. The only issue with pulling the fuse is that we have to reset the clock. All presets for the radio as well as GPS info are still intact when the fuse is re-inserted.

Estero, FL
Old 12-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
cwg

Bob, thanks for trying. Are you a member of the Pelicans or other Florida chapter of the Kountry Klub? If so we may get to meet you at some of the events or rallies. We will be arriving in Fort Myers next week for a several month stay.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 AM   #8

Not yet, although my wife has been trying to figure out which one, and how, to join. Any recommendations?

Estero, FL
Old 12-28-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BCook57:
Not yet, although my wife has been trying to figure out which one, and how, to join. Any recommendations? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will send you a private message. Too new to Newmar to know a lot about the various chapters of the NKK.