Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Acadia/Enclave towing

6 months to two years ago, lots of discussion about towing the Acadia/Enclave and the problems with fuses, lights turning on and various solutions that were offered and then contradicted.
Looking to buy one and not sure if this has ever been corrected and settled by GMC or secondary supplier to where everyone agrees how to do it, and that it works.
Has it been solved?
thanks
gwood5254
Gwood5254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The towing procedure has changed from year-to-year on Acadia/Enclave/Traverse, but there is a known procedure for each one. I think the newest ones are up to requiring three fuses pulled. On my 2007 Acadia, it's only one.

The procedure is in the owner manual under Recreational Towing. You can download a copy and check it out for yourself.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The towing procedure has changed from year-to-year on Acadia/Enclave/Traverse, but there is a known procedure for each one. I think the newest ones are up to requiring three fuses pulled. On my 2007 Acadia, it's only one.

The procedure is in the owner manual under Recreational Towing. You can download a copy and check it out for yourself.
Just purchased a GMC Acadia Denali. It requires 3 fuses but Roadmaster makes it easy by providing two switches. The order seems to matter, i.e. the internal switch should be turned off first and then the batt 1 switch.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I use to tow a 2010 Enclave and had no issues. I know tow a 2015 Acadia Denali. I have only towed once and had no issues with it. I always follow the procedure in the owners manual. I had read about the light issue too but did not experience it. I leave next week for a three day trip to southern California. If I have issues with the Acadia I will let you know.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbageman View Post
I use to tow a 2010 Enclave and had no issues. I know tow a 2015 Acadia Denali. I have only towed once and had no issues with it. I always follow the procedure in the owners manual. I had read about the light issue too but did not experience it. I leave next week for a three day trip to southern California. If I have issues with the Acadia I will let you know.

Paul
What baseplates do you have?
Old 10-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #6

I have used Demco base plates in both vehicles. I liked the easy of installation compared to Blue Ox or Roadmaster. I also use a Demco tow bar also

Paul
Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #7

We've been towing a 2012 Enclave for two years and are required to pull two fuses. We run it for at least 5 minutes before and after towing and have had zero issues so far - knock on wood.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #8

I have now traveled two days towing my 2015 Acadia Denali and am happy to report no issues at all. I did not have the headlights or running light come on and my battery wasn't drained at the end of a days travel.

I followed the instructions for towing in the owners manual and all is well.

Paul
Old 10-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #9

I have 2015 Acadia, I wish I could say I didn't have light problems and I followed the owner manual procedures for dinghy tow several times. The diodes cause the taillight and signal lights to malfunction and pulling the batt1 fuse caused the head lights to come on. Dealership and GM said they are aware of the problem and have been advised to continue to follow the manual procedures and in addition pull the light relay. I trying to work around it, will use wireless tail lights/ signal lights and installing a Toad Charge and not pulling the Batt 1 fuse. Question by doing this do I still need to pull the two fuses in the battery box ( under the passenger seat) ,one is the fuse for the ECM.
Howard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard2 View Post
I have 2015 Acadia, I wish I could say I didn't have light problems and I followed the owner manual procedures for dinghy tow several times. The diodes cause the taillight and signal lights to malfunction and pulling the batt1 fuse caused the head lights to come on. Dealership and GM said they are aware of the problem and have been advised to continue to follow the manual procedures and in addition pull the light relay. I trying to work around it, will use wireless tail lights/ signal lights and installing a Toad Charge and not pulling the Batt 1 fuse. Question by doing this do I still need to pull the two fuses in the battery box ( under the passenger seat) ,one is the fuse for the ECM.
It the diodes are causing problems it is possible that they are either installed backwards or defective. The shop we had the Acadia set up to tow had to redo many vehicles because of defective diodes.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

Msturtz, thanks for the advised. Can you advised were or how to check them. FYI; Motorhome Magazine Dinghy tow Guide list the 2015 Acadia (per GM ) can be dinghy tow. After having problems with my 2015 Acadia I read both and all of the 2014 and 2015 publication of the Dinghy Guide. I found both publications say the same thing. However, it pointed out that some newer vehicles when diodes are installed in the vehicle's electrical system it may alarm when doing a system check that the taillights are not working or indicates they or out. My 2015 Acadia, at times acted like the tail/signal lights, were out. Once the diodes were removed the lights started working. I have not had the problem since the diodes were removed. Interesting. I will check the diodes and the wiring is still in place. Also the GM Dealership thought it was the ground in the aftermarket. I may go with the wireless lights since I have them and still have the diodes checked and see if I can use that diodes system later if the wireless are not dependable. Thanks again, worth following up upon.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #12

Hi Gary, Stagecoach from Acadia forum. a lot of good advise on this forum thanks again.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard2 View Post
Msturtz, thanks for the advised. Can you advised were or how to check them. FYI; Motorhome Magazine Dinghy tow Guide list the 2015 Acadia (per GM ) can be dinghy tow. After having problems with my 2015 Acadia I read both and all of the 2014 and 2015 publication of the Dinghy Guide. I found both publications say the same thing. However, it pointed out that some newer vehicles when diodes are installed in the vehicle's electrical system it may alarm when doing a system check that the taillights are not working or indicates they or out. My 2015 Acadia, at times acted like the tail/signal lights, were out. Once the diodes were removed the lights started working. I have not had the problem since the diodes were removed. Interesting. I will check the diodes and the wiring is still in place. Also the GM Dealership thought it was the ground in the aftermarket. I may go with the wireless lights since I have them and still have the diodes checked and see if I can use that diodes system later if the wireless are not dependable. Thanks again, worth following up upon.
If the system gives you an error about a burnt out bulb then it is wired incorrectly or is defective. The system is checking for impedance through the bulbs if it is too high (open or burnt out bulb) or too low (short) then it may produce an error. If a diode is too small or wired backward then it can create problems.

Tags
towing, tow