Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #15

Greetings,

Any word on whether the 10 amp Toad Charge is heavy enough to keep the Acadia's battery from going dead?

I'm just getting my new Outlook ready to tow & have been aware of this problem since the first time I hooked it up. I'll probably go with the 10 amp Toad Charge unit if I hear from you that it's good for the job.

Thanks,

JandM1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #16

If the 50 amp fuse is removed for towing, does this disable the 12V aux outlet or the normal cigarette lighter outlet used to power things such as a Brake Buddy or a Blue Ox Apollo? I would assume so, but just had to ask.

Jeff

Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I've installed the 10A Toad Charge but haven't towed yet with it. Will give it a try at the end of July when we take a 250 mile trip.

As for the 12V outlet, I saw one report that said it remained hot with the 50A fuse removed, but I haven't tried it myself. The clock does get reset, though. There is a second fuse panel under the dash on the passenger side and the 12V outlets may be powered from there.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy to report that the 10 amp Toad Charge appears to be sufficient to keep the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave charged up while towing. We took a 240 mile trip (about 6 hours of towing) and the Acadia started up fine when we arrived. No starter hesitation or any other sign of a weak battery. Dash voltmeter read normal, door locks functioned, etc. Ditto on the return trip.

I would not call this conclusive proof because we had previously occasionally been able to tow for one day and still start the car, but it would always exhibit signs of low battery charge.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #19
cwg

Thanks for the post. I have been waiting for a report before purchase of either the car or the 10 amp toad charge. By the way, now that the 2008 Acadias are out, were any changes made by GM with regard to this thread issue?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:23 AM   #20

Good news RV Roamer...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there is any new news for 2008 - it is unlikely they redesigned the electrical system so soon and for a relatively trivial concern like this. They have a solution now (the 50A fuse), so are not likely to do more unless it is an easy change. Dinghy towing is not a huge feature in the big scheme of things.

I think the Enclave came out as a 2008 model and it's owner manual says to disconnect the battery. But I haven't seen an 09 owner manual, so am just guessing.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In our Buick toad we had to pull a 30 amp fuse to avoid running the battery down. It got to be a pain to pull the fuse all the time as it was under the hood. Finally, we "blew" a 30 amp fuse and soldered a wire to both sides. Than ran it back to a switch under the dash as well as fused the constantly hot side with a 30 amp fuse. This has been discussed previously here and a search should give complete directions etc.
It worked very well for several years. A bonus was if you parked your car and flipped the switch, it would be very hard for someone to figure out why they could not start your car.
Maybe this would help avoid the problems discussed here with pulling the 50 amp fuse.
Marv
Old 10-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

We've been towing the Acadia extensively for the last couple weeks, often not driving it much or at all between days of towing. Even though we have the 10 amp Toad Charge installed, it has failed to start on arrival three times in two weeks. Leaving it parked with ignition off and the Toad Charge connected brings it back in anywhere from 1-3 hours, though (my Toad Charge is wired to charge from the house batteries, so it charged when we are parked as well as when driving).

This is a bummer - guess I am going to have to resort to pulling the 50A fuse even with the Toad Charge. May only do it when we are covering a lot of ground over multiple days - one day of towing doesn't not seem to be a problem. I'll be adding a switch to the fuse to make it easier to do, as Marv has suggested.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #24
cwg

Thanks for your assistance, Gary. When ordering the Toad Charge for my new Acadia, LSL stated that all their chargers have now been upgraded to the 10 amp. capability and that there is no longer a 5 amp. version.

By the way, I was wondering if you have a supplemental braking system for your tow, and if so, whether you think it may contribute to the occasionally discharged toad battery? My original braking system did not previously cause the toad battery to run down on my Pilot, but after upgrading to a more electronically intensive braking system is when I had battery issues.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Yes - the Toad Charge is now 10A. That's what mine is too. However, my battery has been run flat many times while GM insisted that pulling the 10A fuse was the proper procedure that I now believe my battery is permanently damaged and unable to hold a full charge. It doesn't take much at all the flatten it now.

My aux brake system is 100% air operated by a line from the coach air brakes, so it has no effect on the electrical problem.

We now pull the 50A fuse and today I bought the parts needed to rig a switch so we won't have to actually go into the fuse box to do that.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #26
cwg

Gary,

In reading the Acadia forums today, I saw that GM has a service bulletin out for some of the 07's which have batteries going dead.

The bulletin is about certain Acadias having a defective device which heats the windshield washer fluid thereby discharging the battery. Not sure this would be related to your problem, but if you had not heard of it until now, you might wish to follow it up with a GM dealer.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks - I haven't been on the Acadia forum for a couple weeks, so will go check it out.

I built the disconnect switch yesterday and it was easy to install. The 50A fuse is not the usual blade type - instead it has standard wire connector female receptacles, which means the male blade is in the fuse bus. I didn't need to modify a fuse to make a connector - standard wire disconnects slip right on. I had a bit of a hunt to find an auto parts store that had a 50A switch in stock, but once I had that plus a 50 amp Maxi fuse socket and fuse plus some 10 gauge primary wire, it only took 30 minutes to assemble and install. For the moment the switch is mounted under the hood but I may move it inside the passenger compartment later.

I also checked my battery voltage and found it does not exceed 12.3V when fresh and even a couple of minutes with the key in Accessory drags it down to 12.1V. My conclusion is that the early days of towing (before GM owned up to the fact that their original instructions were no good) has damaged the battery to the point where it can no longer hold a decent charge. I'll be asking for a new battery when I have time to work it out through a dealer. If I get a new battery, the 10A Toad Charge (still installed) may be sufficient to avoid having to use the switch.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shanwick:
If the 50 amp fuse is removed for towing, does this disable the 12V aux outlet or the normal cigarette lighter outlet used to power things such as a Brake Buddy or a Blue Ox Apollo? I would assume so, but just had to ask.

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was anyone able to find an answer to this question? We are leaving for a week long trip in several weeks and was wondering if I pull this 50 amp fuse if my 12v aux outlet will still be usable to power the Brake Buddy?

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote