Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
If you want to see some over length vehicles, attend any motorsport event and walk through the pits. There was once a discussion about CHP setting up outside a NHRA event in Pomona, and ticketting and/or impounding rigs as they left the venue. I don't know of this happening 1st hand.
In many years of searching this subject online, California is the one state were the subject pops up over and over.

Its usually a case where the commerical status is in question. With regards to NHRA events, vehicles exceeding 65' can now (the Caltrans doc I read was dated 2013 mentions them actually go to the events and measuring a variety of vehicles) sometimes qualify for the "motorsport exemption". However, the driver needs to have a CDL and current medical certificate because these motorsports events are commerical in nature. The original issue related to long wheelbase trailers, but now includes wording related to RVs pulling stackers - but only in situations related to motorsport, and only on very specific routes. Amateur motorsports events don't seem to be covered (its always about the state getting their money).

I did once read about 45' motorhomes being stopped that had large SUV toads being stopped because it doesn't take a tape measure to know they're over 65'. That seems to be a rare event, and was part of a group going to a NASCAR race so they might have stood out for other reasons.

Outside of California, I wouldn't worry at all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #16

I don't think a cop is gonna make a big deal about being a foot over length.

However, if you are involved in an accident, I'm sure a lawyer is gonna make a big deal out of it. That's the only real risk I see.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
A reasonable defense to a traffic accident is the other guy shouldn't have been there because he was violating law by being there. You read-end a drunk guy - his fault because he shouldn't have been there. Someone read-ends someone that's too long -- as your attorney I don't want to fight this. Can't one get a commercial license to allow longer lengths?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I seriously doubt that anybody is gonna be out there with a measuring tape checking your length! JMHO
I agree! Maybe in CA where they limit MH lengths to 40' or less on some roads. Don't know if they count the trailer/towed anywhere in that statute. I know we went some 20 miles on an unapproved road with our 41' Dutch Star towing the Ody and no one seemed to notice. Maybe we were lucky too!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #19

Spartan Chassis
I spend a lot of my off time in the Imperial Sand Dunes just East of El Centro, CA. There are a lot of rigs coming and going with stacker trailers that are clearly over length. The only time I've ever seen any LEO engagement was a few years back at one of the rest areas off interstate 8 where they had signs directing all semis and RVs to pull over for a safety inspection. I drove by with my truck and 40' fifth wheel trailer as I didn't feel I met the RV criteria.

Only time I've seen anything like this ever. I've also engaged people on forums who post with different experiences which were passed off as their own to find out later it was a friend of a friend. To date I've yet to talk to anyone who's been cited for being over length.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 PM   #20

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I agree! Maybe in CA where they limit MH lengths to 40' or less on some roads. Don't know if they count the trailer/towed anywhere in that statute. I know we went some 20 miles on an unapproved road with our 41' Dutch Star towing the Ody and no one seemed to notice. Maybe we were lucky too!
I have driven past the sign that says no vehicles greater than 40' beyond this point. Trust me in saying, it's for your safety. They have signs like this in all states. Usually tight mountain roads where you'd be crazy to drive an RV period.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:49 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Norm View Post
I have driven past the sign that says no vehicles greater than 40' beyond this point. Trust me in saying, it's for your safety. They have signs like this in all states. Usually tight mountain roads where you'd be crazy to drive an RV period.
We were in the Valley going cross country between I-5 and I-99, very few curves at all so I wasn't "crazy". After 55 years of RV'ing I do know my limits.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We were in the Valley going cross country between I-5 and I-99, very few curves at all so I wasn't "crazy". After 55 years of RV'ing I do know my limits.

Having lived in the valley my whole life I can say the reason these signs exist is to cut down on freeway traffic jumping across to avoid the big cross town freeways that back up during rush hour. People living in between 99 and 5 don't want large vehicles flying down there street all the time. However the occasional RV is not the issue. Police only enforce when complaints from homeowners rise.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:38 AM   #23

Sound like someone is trying to scare the hell out of you. I would not consider that event with his friend to be credible. I did 38 years in commercial transportation across the US and Canada including the Arctic. Had many oversized loads to different states and provinces and territories, some required permits, some did not. Currently my total length is 65'. Coach is 45' and flat deck car trailer is 20'. In most jurisdictions you are allowed 2' over the trailer deck end, after that it must be red flagged. But we are talking commercial transport that is heavily scrutinized, more than recreational vehicles. I don't think you need to be worried about a few inches in your RV. If you want to be more at ease, you can build your trailer to 20'. You may have some overhang but it should be okay. You can always unload your car to get to 65'. As others have said, the police have more important things to do than to harass RVers. I also suggest you go to your local truck stop and buy the Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.
It will have the legal lengths for the US and Canada, it also has low clearance areas to avoid. Do you know your coach height? Don't go by the book info, climb up on you roof and measure the distance to the ground at driving level. Not when your air bags are low or deflated.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.
trux
Old 03-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by trux View Post
Sound like someone is trying to scare the hell out of you...If you want to be more at ease, you can build your trailer to 20'. You may have some overhang but it should be okay. You can always unload your car to get to 65'.

As others have said, the police have more important things to do than to harass RVers. I also suggest you go to your local truck stop and buy the Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.
It will have the legal lengths for the US and Canada, it also has low clearance areas to avoid. Do you know your coach height? Don't go by the book info, climb up on you roof and measure the distance to the ground at driving level. Not when your air bags are low or deflated.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.
trux
Thanks Trux.

Yup that post sounded like someone just wanting to scare folks for some reason.

Given comments from the experienced "hooligans" on this thread, I am thinking about a 20 foot enclosed that would put me at 67.5. Pushing it, but would be really versatile for us.

I know the exact height only too well. I had to bust out and lower the concrete floor of our 50' cedar pavilion to fit the coach (thankfully the land sloped away toward the back opening or I would have had no good way in!). It was originally built it for trailers not a tall class A. Idiot me for not planning better.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #25

Will you be getting an aluminum trailer made? There is a great manufacturer I visited in Napannee, In. They sure make nice trailers, Amish craftsmanship, Intech Trailers. They will custom build it to your specs. You can get it bare bones or loaded. I almost got one made but I had my flat deck aluminum at the time. Aluminum will have a better resale than steel and easier to maintain and lighter.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by trux View Post
Will you be getting an aluminum trailer made? There is a great manufacturer I visited in Napannee, In. They sure make nice trailers, Amish craftsmanship, Intech Trailers. They will custom build it to your specs. You can get it bare bones or loaded. I almost got one made but I had my flat deck aluminum at the time. Aluminum will have a better resale than steel and easier to maintain and lighter.
Trux,

I will be getting one made that is generally manufacturer specs but altered with additonal tie downs, finishing out the interior walls, pre-wiring for AC, etc. Thanks for the heads-up on Intech! Texas to Indianna is a good stretch of the legs but I went to Lima Ohio for my wife's vintage pickup. Those kind of trips can be a great way to overcome "at-rest" inertia.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I was camped in the UP of Michigan and saw a tractor pulling a 5th wheel pulling a tow vehicle. It was the longest rig I'd ever saw, probably in excess of 75'.

The owner happen to be out checking things out and I asked him if he every had problems. He said he'd traveled back and forth the USA and never been stopped or questioned.

I don't think 1' would be easily distinguishable driving down the road but make sure you are not speeding or driving erratically.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I was camped in the UP of Michigan and saw a tractor pulling a 5th wheel pulling a tow vehicle. It was the longest rig I'd ever saw, probably in excess of 75'.

The owner happen to be out checking things out and I asked him if he every had problems. He said he'd traveled back and forth the USA and never been stopped or questioned.

I don't think 1' would be easily distinguishable driving down the road but make sure you are not speeding or driving erratically.
Thanks Jim. i have a picture of a truck pulling a flat bed trailer (with 4 wheelers) pulling an Airstream Bambi in Dallas rush hour traffic! It wasn't over 65 feet but it was very sketchy. i will look like plain oatmeal compared to a rig like that.